Sherman “Wolf of Badenoch”, Westkapelle, 1947

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Jakko
A fine model. Extra special as it is an actual, well researched and detailed tank. It's definitely taken a while and changed in the making but worth the effort.
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very nice indeed Jakko.

Very well done.

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thanks :smiling3: Though looking at the pictures some more, I think I’m going to tone down some of the brush strokes a bit. They’re just too stark.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I wasn’t quite happy with the paint smeared on the side of the hull, so I went over some of it with green to make it appear thinner and not as stark:

9AAAC068-AD66-44C5-AA54-3243BFD2826D.jpeg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Really nice work, and excellently researched as always. Fine model.
One minor thing though, wouldn’t you expect a little more wear and staining on the underside of the engine deck when it’s open?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Agree completely with Tim's post.
Any chance of seeing the original photos as well please.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Really nice work, and excellently researched as always. Fine model.
One minor thing though, wouldn’t you expect a little more wear and staining on the underside of the engine deck when it’s open?
Thanks, and good point — I hadn’t thought of that at all, if I’m honest. I’m now wondering how much oil stains etc. would still be visible after that engine deck had been open for months …

Any chance of seeing the original photos as well please.
Sure :smiling3: Let’s start with the tank during the Walcheren campaign:

798641.jpg

This is in the village of Domburg, on the northern side of Walcheren, where the four remaining tanks (two Shermans and two AVREs) were used to overcome heavy German resistance. The tanks arrived there on the evening of 2 November 1944, though I’m not sure this photo is of that date — it could be anywhere between then and about the 8th, I guess, when the last Germans surrendered. The Commando OC made sure the Germans got to hear of the tanks, via civilians, in order to demoralise them. Apparently, this worked, because some captured German troops said they would have been prepared to oppose infantry attacks but felt they had nothing with which to counter tanks.

And during the actual fighting in the dunes around Domburg:

798642.jpg

Wolf of Badenoch is the one in the middle, the other tank that’s mostly hidden behind the Commandos’ heads, is Cock o’the North.

To give an idea of the intensity of the fighting, over that week or so, these two Shermans fired (according to Nigel Duncan in 79th Armoured Division: Hobo’s Funnies, Windsor: Profile, 1972, SBN 85383 082 7) “over 1,400 rounds of HE ammunition besides a large amount of AP shot” while just one of the two AVREs went through 24 boxes of Besa ammunition in two days.

Here’s a view of the Westkapelle street the tanks were left in after the war:

AVRE en Shermans in Zuidstraat (via Polderhuis).jpg

The Churchill at left is T-69114/B, the Sherman in front of it is Wolf of Badenoch and the one at right, just behind the truck, is Cock o’the North.

This is looking in the other direction, a reasonably early picture, as Wolf of Badenoch still has spare tracks on its glacis plate:

zuidstraat-churchill-avre-en-sherman-bamble-5-jpg.312188

Some local people posing by it for the camera:

798640.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60b3.jpg

And probably tourists looking it over:

e15d057a-b862-44b9-a86c-db117ade6aac-jpeg.430573

It looks like Tim’s right about the staining on the engine deck:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60a9.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice set of pictures. Good to see them again.
As to the engine deck, if it’s been open for months it would at least have the same weathering, fading and staining as the tank surface…..plus oil and grease stains that are ingrained in the paintwork…..

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
True, and I did weather it like the rest of the tank — except I never thought to add oil stains etc. I may go back and put some on, to make it look more like in the last photo of the real tank.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Very nice tank Jakko. And a nice 'Tabby' as well.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thanks, and congratulations for being the first one here to have noticed it — well, mentioned it, anyway :smiling3: I used one of my own cats as a model to try and get the striping right, which didn’t quite work out, but it’s close enough.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks for posting those, I remember some of them from before.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I don’t think I posted all of these here before :smiling3: I have some more, but these give a good impression of this particular tank, I think.

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I don’t think I posted all of these here before :smiling3: I have some more, but these give a good impression of this particular tank, I think.
If you have any more please post them. Seeing a model of the real tank and the story that goes with it makes it far more interesting.