Ship painting advice, please

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon all

I am about to prime then paint Darings hull, now the pain in the rear question??

After priming do I

Paint the lower hull red first, then upper hull grey followed by the boot topping or is there a different method??

Sorry to keep asking questions folks

Bob

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Afternoon all

I am about to prime then paint Darings hull, now the pain in the rear question??

After priming do I

Paint the lower hull red first, then upper hull grey followed by the boot topping or is there a different method??

Sorry to keep asking questions folks

Bob
Bob you got it in one as thats how i did tiger an all my ship models an dont be Sorry to keep asking questions thats what we are here on this foreum for to help each other so get stuck in boyo
chris

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Bob,
just preference - I'd do the upper hull grey, then mask this & do the boot topping, mask that as well ( not taking off the grey mask ) & do the red! The red ia always a pain, so leave until last
Dave

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN Bob are you usein a hairy stick for this with tamya maskin tape if so remember that where the red an grey meet there maybe a high line of paint an when get this happen i just gently usein a fine sand paper rub off the high line the paint the boot line
chris

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bob,
just preference - I'd do the upper hull grey, then mask this & do the boot topping, mask that as well ( not taking off the grey mask ) & do the red! The red ia always a pain, so leave until last
Dave
Thanks Dave, appreciated
AN Bob are you usein a hairy stick for this with tamya maskin tape if so remember that where the red an grey meet there maybe a high line of paint an when get this happen i just gently usein a fine sand paper rub off the high line the paint the boot line
chris
Hi Chris

Thanks Chris

Will be using airbrush

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Bob,
Dave
WELL Dave you are totally oppersite to me lol an i have no trouble with the red as its just an easy paint to paint as any of the others just my opinion
chrisIMG_6347.JPG

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bob.
1 Wait until the management have left the building .

2 Put plug in bath or sink, depending on how big the model is.

3 Take container of desired paint colour ( I my self would use house 4 BO )
Fill bath or sink and lower the model in.

4 When the required hight has been reached remove and allow to dry .

5 When management return and ask what has happened to the bath / sink say it was back pressure in the mains and your taking legal advice.

On no account mention either the model, me, the forum or Steve Jones having anything to do with this .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Personally I’d go Red, then grey (both free handed up to a pencil line meeting in the middle of the boot topping area), then mask and paint the boot topping. That way you will minimise the paint line at the masking tape. Another idea would be to use primer that is the same colour as the grey, then you only have to paint red and black.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Contrary I know but I would spray the hull black, mask off the boot topping; leave the mask on before spraying grey - mask to the boot topping then spray the lower hull red. Each colour then acts as a primer for the next.
Steve

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bob.
1 Wait until the management have left the building .

2 Put plug in bath or sink, depending on how big the model is.

3 Take container of desired paint colour ( I my self would use house 4 BO )
Fill bath or sink and lower the model in.

4 When the required hight has been reached remove and allow to dry .

5 When management return and ask what has happened to the bath / sink say it was back pressure in the mains and your taking legal advice.

On no account mention either the model, me, the forum or Steve Jones having anything to do with this .
Sound John, but dangerous to my health, retirement, teeth, breathing. Sanity and my under carriage!

Some other problems to your master plan?

1. Will not fit in sink

2. Do not have a bath

3. Blaming welsh water might work but will need my bestest porkie pie face

4. Sadly but not surprising no 4BO, but numerous gallons of StuG related paint

5. Plus point might make the news as Julie would make me live on one of the duck infested islands on the lake at bottom of the st!

6. Could use the Mr Bean method, one tin of paint with a explosive device in it, lite fuse and run, run, run!

Thanks all for the many differany ideas, will have a good old think, thats dangerous as well

Thanks bob

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Yeah. Gotta agree there Bob. I've lost count of the number of splinters I've got when scratching my head for ideas!
Very true lol

Primer went on well with only a small area on the deck to look at, so after a good old think followed by a headache;)

Will go with red on her bum, then boot top, followed by grey.

Will try a different method again to see what suits me

Bob