Short Sunderland iii

Defiant911

SMF Supporter
First Name
Carl
I’ve always liked the look of this plane and again it’s something slightly different.
Ideally I would
Have like at least a 1:48 scale but I struggled to find one if in deed they ever made one?
In the end I found an Airfix 1:72 scale to build.
Looking at the parts it looks rather rough, lots of spru and some pretty poor mouldings plus the fit in finish looks far from great,
just dry fitting a few parts. Also the interior detail is pretty much the most basic two seats and steering wheels I’ve ever seen in a model to date.
All that said I’m not too fussed about the interior as you really cannot see it anyway through the tiny port hole windows so the real challenge will be just getting a nice paint job for the exterior so it looks something half decent hanging on the wall.
06F4B0ED-237C-494B-BB11-C64354FC257C.jpeg

Jakko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Apparently, there were at least six 1:48 scale kits of this plane:
… but all are resin or vacuum-formed.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
No wonder there's lots of flash- I had this kit for my seventh birthday in 1964.................
I shall be watching fondly

Defiant911

SMF Supporter
First Name
Carl
Given that the interior consists of a small cockpit floor, two steering wheels and two seats I’ve moved swiftly on to putting the main body together. I’ve masked up as best I can the various glass turrets although the masking I had was designed for the Italeri mki variant so they did not match that well so I had to use a bit of artistic licence
23CEF766-33BA-40E0-AD8B-CD64DBED0F8F.jpeg