Short Sunderland iii

First Name
Carl
I’ve always liked the look of this plane and again it’s something slightly different.
Ideally I would
Have like at least a 1:48 scale but I struggled to find one if in deed they ever made one?
In the end I found an Airfix 1:72 scale to build.
Looking at the parts it looks rather rough, lots of spru and some pretty poor mouldings plus the fit in finish looks far from great,
just dry fitting a few parts. Also the interior detail is pretty much the most basic two seats and steering wheels I’ve ever seen in a model to date.
All that said I’m not too fussed about the interior as you really cannot see it anyway through the tiny port hole windows so the real challenge will be just getting a nice paint job for the exterior so it looks something half decent hanging on the wall.
06F4B0ED-237C-494B-BB11-C64354FC257C.jpeg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Apparently, there were at least six 1:48 scale kits of this plane:
… but all are resin or vacuum-formed.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
No wonder there's lots of flash- I had this kit for my seventh birthday in 1964.................
I shall be watching fondly

First Name
Carl
Given that the interior consists of a small cockpit floor, two steering wheels and two seats I’ve moved swiftly on to putting the main body together. I’ve masked up as best I can the various glass turrets although the masking I had was designed for the Italeri mki variant so they did not match that well so I had to use a bit of artistic licence
23CEF766-33BA-40E0-AD8B-CD64DBED0F8F.jpeg

First Name
Carl
So I haven’t spent any time modelling the last week or so due to work and heat but I managed to mask the plane up today whilst it’s a bit cooler and applied a coat of green on. I’m away for a few days so will add some Blutack worms when I return ready for the second camo colour. At least it’ll give the first coat a few days to cure properly.
6DDF837C-0AAB-4F58-B89C-C0CFFE391FC1.jpeg

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Oooh it's a beast.
looking GOOD, Carl!
I've just remembered attending a local fete of some kind aged 7 or 8 (back in the dark ages) and some guys had rigged one of these up on a wire with a bomb-dropping gadget, and you could pay to have ago at dropping the bomb (soda siphon cartridge , I think) on a model ship in a tin bath. How fantastic was that?
I remember it made a brilliant splash.
I'm loving this build!

First Name
Carl
Oooh it's a beast.
looking GOOD, Carl!
I've just remembered attending a local fete of some kind aged 7 or 8 (back in the dark ages) and some guys had rigged one of these up on a wire with a bomb-dropping gadget, and you could pay to have ago at dropping the bomb (soda siphon cartridge , I think) on a model ship in a tin bath. How fantastic was that?
I remember it made a brilliant splash.
I'm loving this build!
Thanks Neil, I always liked the look of these planes. I’d love to have flown on the real thing. Taking off on water sounds amazing. Not sure this will be my best build but hopefully it‘ll turn out ok when complete.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great subject Carl, I too love the Sunderland.
Looking good so far.
Cheers
Paul

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Always liked these kinds of flying boats, About twenty years ago I was at the RAF Museum in Hendon, and I remember they had a Sunderland (I think) you could get inside of, which was very interesting. Too bad large parts were blocked off with plexiglass sheets :smiling3:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Always liked these kinds of flying boats, About twenty years ago I was at the RAF Museum in Hendon, and I remember they had a Sunderland (I think) you could get inside of, which was very interesting. Too bad large parts were blocked off with plexiglass sheets :smiling3:
You’re right, the Sunderland at Hendon is accessible to the public. Although it is a really large aircraft I seem to remember that it felt smaller than I expected inside. It is a great looking thing though and I’m looking forward to Carl’s rendition of it.

First Name
Carl
You’re right, the Sunderland at Hendon is accessible to the public. Although it is a really large aircraft I seem to remember that it felt smaller than I expected inside. It is a great looking thing though and I’m looking forward to Carl’s rendition of it.
wow, I hope I can live up to the expectation...

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I've been lurking in the shadows Carl, its looking good with the worms on. I too have the kit but minus the box, bag, decals and instructions. Am looking for new propellers.
The Sunderland always reminded me of a white bulldog with huge underbite. A few were stationed or stopped over in Singapore during the war. They were the only few aircraft that could make the flight from Australia to Blighty on the westerly route.

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Carl
I've been lurking in the shadows Carl, its looking good with the worms on. I too have the kit but minus the box, bag, decals and instructions. Am looking for new propellers.
The Sunderland always reminded me of a white bulldog with huge underbite. A few were stationed or stopped over in Singapore during the war. They were the only few aircraft that could make the flight from Australia to Blighty on the westerly route.

Cheers,
Richard
If you need any pictures , eg. Instructions etc I can always take a few snap shots for you and email.

First Name
Carl
I sprayed the second colour(dark grey) although I think the hot temperature was causing some issues with the airbrush paint drying almost as it hit the surface leaving a rough texture. I rubbed it back carefully and re-sprayed it but it’s not the best job ever. Hopefully a coat of laquer at the end may improve the finish.
I can’t do much more now until some more white paint turns up so might be a week gap but it’s creeping along slowly.
792C167E-CA8D-4A0D-B4F0-EF08D5D66A1A.jpeg