Shortage of Hawker Hurricanes

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The Italeri kit is a great little build. Think I have done two and have one in the stash. In fact it's so good Tamiya took it on as a re boxing to provide a good Hurricane without the high costs of production. The plastic in the Tamiya boxing is still the Italeri product.
One thing to note in the Italeri kit: the paint guide for the camouflage is a bit confusing. In the monotone pictures they have presented the darkest colour; green with the lighter of the two greys, and the lightest colour; Earth with the darker tone of grey.... Yes I learned the hard way.... lol
The Old Airfix Hurricane was a good build and looks very much the part so if the newer tooling is even better!!!

I agree that Tamiya would do well to do a 1/32 super kit. It cant be less popular than the Mustang could it?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'll happily do both, and do, but there is something remarkably soothing about building one of the beautifully engineered and fitted kits that have been produced in the last 10-15 years or so.

I'm in the middle of one of Tamiya's so called 'uber kits' as I write this, and it has been a joy to build, so far. It's the first of them I've built for many years (I did a Spitfire IX when they were first released). The engineering and fit, as well as the overall quality, almost defies belief. That's not to say I don't enjoy building something which offers a more challenging experience. There is no doubt that the experience gained and techniques learned overcoming some of those challenges help with something more modern. I'm sure that plenty of people have mucked up even the best and most expensive kits!

There's room for both and you can take a swing at both, as I do, or concentrate on one or the other. Whatever floats your boat really, there's no point in doing it if you don't enjoy it!

Cheers

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'm selling one of my PCM Hurries on eBay if anyone's interested

Cheers
P

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I'm selling one of my PCM Hurries on eBay if anyone's interested

Place a link to it in the 'For Sale' section. You never know, a member on here might bid on it.

First Name
Drew
I'm currently building the 1:48 Airfix Hurricane mk.1 (Tropical) and it's going together like a dream.
Any issues I'm having with it are completely of my own doing!

I believe that the correct parts are also there if you didn't want to do the Tropical version (with the air filter underneath).
I'm just coming back to the hobby with this one and it's really been a pleasure to build.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
First post, so please be gentle!
I note that several 'like' the Hurricane (must admit that it always has held the 'number 1 slot' for me - I've got one that I'm having problems finishing, and was wondering if I could 'pick brains' here.
It's the Airfix 1:24 and I can't seem to find the waterslide decals I need to finish it off, I need the airframe numbers/letter and the squadron letters (the ones that came with it aren't the ones I need) I would have painted them - but my painting isn't up to it & I'm sure that many years ago I can remember being able to purchase sheets of decals made up of letters and numbers etc. for models, but can't seem to find them now, so wondering if anybody would know where I could get them from?
Yes, I'm being 'fussy' but this particular model has a bit of 'history', in that the plane I want to portray struck the house I live in & I wanted to do this more as a 'history project' than a 'generic' model with pre BoB paint scheme - underside port black/starboard white, etc.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
First post, so please be gentle!
I note that several 'like' the Hurricane (must admit that it always has held the 'number 1 slot' for me - I've got one that I'm having problems finishing, and was wondering if I could 'pick brains' here.
It's the Airfix 1:24 and I can't seem to find the waterslide decals I need to finish it off, I need the airframe numbers/letter and the squadron letters (the ones that came with it aren't the ones I need) I would have painted them - but my painting isn't up to it & I'm sure that many years ago I can remember being able to purchase sheets of decals made up of letters and numbers etc. for models, but can't seem to find them now, so wondering if anybody would know where I could get them from?
Yes, I'm being 'fussy' but this particular model has a bit of 'history', in that the plane I want to portray struck the house I live in & I wanted to do this more as a 'history project' than a 'generic' model with pre BoB paint scheme - underside port black/starboard white, etc.
Hi Gerry
You would probably get more assistance if you set this up as a new thread....until then, have you tried here https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/i...5&search_direction=asc&save_search=1&pageID=6
Its a good first stop. This one...
has a great database, so might be able to help. Hope you find what you need.
cheers
Tim

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I can remember being able to purchase sheets of decals made up of letters and numbers etc. for models, but can't seem to find them now
Try looking at hannants.co.uk they do decal sheets of serial codes, not sure if they go up to 1/24 scale though.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Hi Gerry
You would probably get more assistance if you set this up as a new thread....until then, have you tried here https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/i...5&search_direction=asc&save_search=1&pageID=6
Its a good first stop. This one...
has a great database, so might be able to help. Hope you find what you need.
cheers
Tim
I would have, but I don't think that I have 'new thread' permission yet.:thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I would have thought that if you can post you can set up a thread Gerry? Still, have fun with the links :thumb2:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I would have thought that if you can post you can set up a thread Gerry? Still, have fun with the links :thumb2:

As far as i know. Yes. That's why you can post in the 'Introduce Yourself' section

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Unless youre subscribed you can only view threads and any post you make wont appear until its been approved by the mods . As for starting a thread i think that only comes with being a paid up member . Its £10 for the year and you get a discount off your first order at the scale models shop so its very reasonable , plus you wont get the annoying adverts !

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Unless youre subscribed you can only view threads and any post you make wont appear until its been approved by the mods . As for starting a thread i think that only comes with being a paid up member . Its £10 for the year and you get a discount off your first order at the scale models shop so its very reasonable , plus you wont get the annoying adverts !

Never noticed Gerry wasn't subscribed. My bad

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Must admit that I only signed up today - noticed the little box muttering away at the bottom of the screen - but haven't really explored the forums as yet