Should I paint the white bits first or last?

T

TonyBv9

So, as the title says. I'm about to paint the Bf109 F4 Trop in the classic sand over light blue, but it has white wing tips, spinner and fuselage band. White first or last? I'm using Model Air.
Thanks

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Personally I would prime, then do the white, then mask and paint the rest. Let the paint cure properly before masking though, and use Tamiya tape. This should minimise the chance of lift when you remove the tape.
Cheers
Tim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I work on the principle light > dark - it being easier to cover light paint with dark paint than vice versa. The only time I have strayed was a whitewash winter finish!
Dave

T

TonyBv9

Thanks chaps. The lightest to darkest principle is what seems logical, it's just that I've seen it done otherwise and wondered if there was an advantage to it. Maybe the complexity of the masking.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
While light to dark is the standard practise there is another style of painting called 'black basing'.

This is where you lay down black primer first and then the lighter base colours over the top (starting lightest to darkest). You do this to create a modulated effect with areas of light and shade.

This has become my standard practise and, in fact, my current build is the 1/32 Dragon Bf109E Trop with a scheme similar to yours and I should be posting some pics of the painting stage on my thread which I am in the process of starting. http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/cyber-hobby-dragon-bf109e-trop.30055/

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The lightest to darkest principle is what seems logical, it's just that I've seen it done otherwise and wondered if there was an advantage to it. Maybe the complexity of the masking.
Masking is far less of a hassle than having to apply half a dozen coats of paint to get it to cover, if you ask me. White, yellow and red I would nearly always paint first then mask off, instead of trying to apply them over other colours, especially dark ones. See my spraying-can–painted F4F-3 for an example.