Show your first kit(s)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
“What was your first kit?” has probably been asked a number of times before, so let’s try it with a twist: show us pictures of it. I don’t mean of the first model you consider good enough to share with the wider world, but your first model at all, if you still have it (or at least pictures of it).

My very first one was this one, which I found in a box yesterday while looking for another old model to get the pilots out of for the Lightning I’m building at the moment:

IMG_4883.JPG
IMG_4885.JPG

It’s the Matchbox Northrop F-5A:

PK-012-2-01.jpg

My father built it for me when I was 7 or 8 years old, in the early ’80s. The paint scheme is later: as you can see in the view from underneath, the decals are under it. I think I tried to copy the camouflage scheme shown on the back of the box, but for some reason I did that using Humbrol No. 1 gloss black and gloss sea blue. The canopy is cracked at the left front because I remember trying to open it to paint the pilot, but it had been glued down too well so I gave up when the crack appeared :smiling3:

The first kit I actually built myself was my second one, not very long after:

IMG_4891.JPG
IMG_4893.JPG

The Matchbox Brewster Buffalo:

PK-024-2-01.jpg

This one has been painted more than once :smiling3: I think I originally put the KNIL decals on, then later repainted it and used the RAF ones that I of course still had left. (Speaking of which, I think I still have some of the decals of the F-5A in my aircraft decal box as well.) Why I used khaki for half the underside when the box clearly indicated black, I have no idea. The propeller and landing gear have long since disappeared from playing with it, of course.

Finally my first armour model:

IMG_4887.JPG
IMG_4889.JPG

The Matchbox Panzer II:

PK-081-4-01.jpg

I think I didn’t paint this at first, because the decal with the Arabic slogan on the wall is clearly visible underneath the paint, so I must have again applied leftover decals when I did decide to paint it.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Jakko
Interesting. Nice that you still have those kits from so long ago.
I built my first kit in 2010. I had recently retired and was looking for a hobby. To be honest the wife was looking for a hobby for me - I think I was driving her mad being at home all day!! I picked up a model making magazine and the rest is history. Joined the old forum, got loads of encouragement and advice.
First order online
P1000112(1).JPG
and the result.
P1000147(1).JPG
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This was the first model I made - by my hands only - I had 'helped' my father with a few before.irfix dauphine.jpg
I think I was seven, which puts it in 1963. No paint, lots of glue ( especially on the windows ). No recollection as to it's fate - too long ago!
Dave

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
honestly have no idea......would have been getting on for 50 years ago! was probably a spitfire or hurricane, and definatly by airfix

but i only took up this lark again about 11 years ago and i know it was a Tamiya Lotus 7 kit, but i dont have any pics of it

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Oh boy this is some time ago, about the same time as Dave.
I remember we would go to Woollies on a Saturday buy a kit, but night fall it would be done, On Sunday painted and up hanging from the ceiling. Where they went to after that, I suppose they were thrown away as we moved every two years in the forces.
These I do remember, only box art though.
1542131206311.png
1542131259600.png
and a
1542131298803.png
In Hong kong in the early 60's I started with help from my dad a

1542131469988.png
Don't think it was ever finished I discovered girls . :flushed::smiling4:.
Only returned to modelling in 2015 after my eye operation .
John.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Nice that you still have those kits from so long ago.
I don’t throw anything much away :smiling3:

That said, I still can’t find the model that I know I used those Hasegawa pilots in that lead me to dig up these old relics, and I’ve run out of places where I think it can be. But I highly doubt I’ve thrown it out, because that’s just not something I’d do. (Stuff it in a box with other old models, or in the back of a cupboard or something, sure. Throw away — no.)

I built my first kit in 2010.
Wow :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
First model? My dad bought me the good old Airfix Bismark. No photos I'm afraid.
I couldn't afford a camera on what I received for my paper round back in the middle 60's.

A couple of years later my dad showed me how to shoot - And yes, you've guessed. the target was that same model.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
My first kit was a 1/72 Revell Lancaster 'Dambuster'. I built it (with major help from my dad) in 1983. I have no photos of it and it was lost in a flying accident because of an over aggressive pilot via the house stairs.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
I started modelling at aged 9, one rainy Saturday afternoon, my 14 year old uncle came round with an Airfix Arado sea plane, and you can still get them!
sO6oazn.jpg

Built and painted in one afternoon, and I was hooked.
I followed a weekly eclectic building plan, of anything I could afford on 3 shillings pocket money, 15p by today's money, and a King's ransom in 1969, I was a lucky chap ;)

I built and occasionally painted but built and built, and one day, my 11th birthday, I think, it snowed heavily and I walked 4 miles home from school in 6 inches of snow and a minor blizzard, my birthday presents included this, and my future was locked and loaded for ever :nerd:
mgRivpY.jpg

and you can still get one, even now :o
I did progress to the 1:35 kits as a teenager, and still have some of my 1970's builds, well 2 :P :oops:
Be gentle I was only 13 or 14
cRxepXl.jpg

Tsu08oM.jpg

Dodgy dry brushing after reading military modeling since it first came out in 1971

memory lane!

Steve H

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The first kit I ever remember building was the Airfix Gnat in the plastic bag with the Instructions and art work stapled to the top bought in Woolworths but I don't have any pictures of anything older than a few years.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Oh boy!! If I still had the builds I first made and showed them, people would run away.:tears-of-joy: I was seven, fifty years ago and whatever was made became my imaginary army in the sandbox dio I had out in the garden. All bare and unpainted, Dad helped with the decals so I could identify friend from foe but I already knew that. I knew from a very young age that plastics were not biodegradable left out in the sunshine and rain. I did get the occassional warped guns and wings. Sad to say too young to take photos let alone handle my Dads camera.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great thread Jakko, there we were , thrilled with our little purchases, no doubt on a Saturday, many in the UK would have been from Woolies.
That was the place to go in our youth. Certainly brought back memories of those far off times.
John.

First Name
Dave
The first kit I bought and made myself was a Revell 1/72 Zero. I remember I painted it and didn’t like the colour. So I painted it another colour whilst it was still wet!. I was 8 at the time so it would have been 1966. Before that Dad made me a Canberra. Which must have been the old Aurora kit. He also did an F89 Scorpion and Douglas Skyrocket. When I was about 5 I was really into Dinosaurs (like my grandson is now).I had a few dinosaur kits. I think dad and I did them together.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Mine was a B29 by Revell, then an attack ship w/many little landing craft, and many others, all Christmas gifts in successive years. We had an O gauge train layout in the basement that grew every year during winter since I was six, so it took up most of my hobby time till I was a teen when other pursuits, cars & women, took over. I may have a photo of the layout, but the models did not survive. PaulE

First Name
Maciej
My first one, well two at same time ware when I was about 12, unfortunately no pictures or models :sad:
los.jpglublin.jpg
Los medium bomber and Lublin both in 1/72.
loads of glue windows on Los ware MATT when i finish and paint done with normal water paint (pilled off day after dry)
but was fun.
Maybe week after I finished my Dad got me those:
liberator.jpgsu-22.png
Those ware paper models and took me ages, had to ask my Dad to make me some tools to cut small circles, that was fun :smiling3:

R

Ranwulf

Oh boy!! If I still had the builds I first made and showed them, people would run away.:tears-of-joy: I was seven, fifty years ago and whatever was made became my imaginary army in the sandbox dio I had out in the garden. All bare and unpainted, Dad helped with the decals so I could identify friend from foe but I already knew that. I knew from a very young age that plastics were not biodegradable left out in the sunshine and rain. I did get the occassional warped guns and wings. Sad to say too young to take photos let alone handle my Dads camera.

Cheers,
Richard
Same story same age Richard but my purchases were based on gaining a tactical advantage over the neighbour kid. Every cent I earned went into models, all armour, no paint until I was about 10 or 11. Plastic axles do not hold up well in the dirt I found.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
I cannot provide a photo of my first model 'build'. But my father built the Airfix DH-88 Comet racer. This was back in 1958 or so. It was on the windowsill and in pride of place. I decided i would play aeroplanes with it and off came a wing and the cockpit canopy. So after a swift left behind the ear I was given a whole tube of cement (for bicycle innertube repair) and told to stick it back together. This I did with great bravado, no glue left, wing stuck on and cockpit canopy full of glue.
There is also a black and white photo of a proud me, standing in front of my parents on the parade in Blackpool complete with school cap, raincoat, shorts and one sock around the ankle, but in my hands was a card sheet and on this sheet were models of F-86, F-80 etc, I think the modelling standard has improved slightly - but the mentality is a debateable subject.
Cheers, Mike.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Mine was a B29 by Revell, then an attack ship w/many little landing craft, and many others, all Christmas gifts in successive years. We had an O gauge train layout in the basement that grew every year during winter since I was six, so it took up most of my hobby time till I was a teen when other pursuits, cars & women, took over. I may have a photo of the layout, but the models did not survive. PaulE
Paul, the downfall of us all - cars and women.....
Mike.