Showing the value of “point of view” in photography.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
This site is worth a good look to those that would like to realistically photograph their models. Once you get the viewpoint correct the perspective and the rest seems to drop into place…but I bet there’s more to it than that ;)

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That`s REALLY effective...... not to mention clever!! :cool:
I may have a bash at trying that with my next diorama:thumb2:,although,as you say,i suspect it`s not as easy as it appears!!:anguished:
Nice one Tim,
Andy

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well Tim I've not seen anything like that. Absolutely amazing. Thanks for the link.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very interesting!!! Thanks Tim!!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wow that's something to think about Tim. 570'S a great one for using the sky really well .Thanks for posting.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Wow that's something to think about Tim. 570'S a great one for using the sky really well .Thanks for posting.
He is also a master at getting the camera viewpoint to the proper eye level and parallel to the ground. That is what this guy does.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I have seen this done before on the French 1-87 site; Autho87. Not only does it provide a nice back ground, it can make your models appear to look like they are real vehicles. :thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I assume that’s to get the wet sheen on the roads that is visible in some shots Paul.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That is clever stuff. Some of the pictures are totally believable.

On the flip side, have a look at 'miniature effect' The art of making real subjects look like a scale model.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That is clever stuff. Some of the pictures are totally believable.

On the flip side, have a look at 'miniature effect' The art of making real subjects look like a scale model.
Just had a look. I’ve seen the effect used, but wasn’t sure what it was called. Now I know :thumb2:
It’s technically called Tilt Shift, using software to emulate the expensive tilt shift lenses originally developed to photograph buildings with no convergence in the vertical plane. Starts by using a viewpoint associated with models, ie, looking down on the scene, and then blurring the edges to simulate a shallow depth of focus. Very clever! Thanks Colin.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Just had a look. I’ve seen the effect used, but wasn’t sure what it was called. Now I know :thumb2:
It’s technically called Tilt Shift, using software to emulate the expensive tilt shift lenses originally developed to photograph buildings with no convergence in the vertical plane. Starts by using a viewpoint associated with models, ie, looking down on the scene, and then blurring the edges to simulate a shallow depth of focus. Very clever! Thanks Colin.
It's funny isn't it, there we are trying to make models look as real as possible and there's a load of people out there making real things look like a model.