Si B’s- Academy Hetzer early....

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Thanks very much Mike:smiling4:

The kit plastic isn’t really that yellow. That blue background seems to make it look worse....think I’m going to look into a light tent thing:smiling3::thinking:

Ok, so it’s done:smiling4:
View attachment 329610
View attachment 329611
View attachment 329612
View attachment 329613
View attachment 329614

It’s all together apart from tow cables which I’m in the process of making. As mentioned, the wheel and tracks are not glued up, neither is the hull top and bottom or the MG so I can pull it apart for paint.

A very quick simple build. I’m going to ditch the Tamiya paint and go for airbrushing acrylic , something which historically gives me trouble!
Thanks for looking
Si,
That looks much better, looks like real plastic, good job on the build, hope the acrylics do not give you too much trouble.
Cheers, Mike.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Looking very good
Cheers Ian :thumb2:

Si,
Really enjoyed the banter on this thread, but what your willing to do for money really shouldn't be on here :tongue-out3: Oh and by the way the build is looking good to.

Hiya Scottie,
Life’s too short to be serious all the time, nice to be daft with like minded people, and if I can earn a few quid eh :smiling5:
The build went nice....and to be fair it’s a damn good kit, you’d have to try hard to screw it up.
Si,
That looks much better, looks like real plastic, good job on the build, hope the acrylics do not give you too much trouble.
Cheers, Mike.

Mike,
Like I said to Scottie, the kit goes together lovely. Also hoping paint goes ok!

Prepare yourselves.....update inbound!
A few thin layers of Vallejo primer, a few drops of water & flow improver and had a pleasant spraying session. No spluttering and only minor tip drying, but probably my fault as I did stop & start a fair bit.

The tracks got a darker grey...

So I’ll let that dry for a day or two before I do anything else. Probably get back to the Jagdpanther now.
Cheers
Si

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Si
Build looks really nice. Starting with the paint - can only get better.
Jim

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking good Si...that flow improver has helped me in the past as well..seems like the banter from the rabble is making some other things flowing here...

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Alarm bells rang when I read rocks were going to be used in the cake fight...thank God they're just rock cakes...mind you leave them for a week and they become weapons. They look delicious, me mum used to make them and it brings back memories. Just like little Si I nicked a few while still on the tray cooling. Haven't had one for 20 years now.

Si, the Hetzer is looking the bizniss. Good thing you did the little improvements and with the primer on looks even better. I see the banter is keeping the flow smooth. :thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Cheers Ian :thumb2:

Hiya Scottie,
Life’s too short to be serious all the time, nice to be daft with like minded people, and if I can earn a few quid eh :smiling5:
The build went nice....and to be fair it’s a damn good kit, you’d have to try hard to screw it up.

Mike,
Like I said to Scottie, the kit goes together lovely. Also hoping paint goes ok!

Prepare yourselves.....update inbound!
A few thin layers of Vallejo primer, a few drops of water & flow improver and had a pleasant spraying session. No spluttering and only minor tip drying, but probably my fault as I did stop & start a fair bit.

The tracks got a darker grey...
View attachment 329771

View attachment 329770

So I’ll let that dry for a day or two before I do anything else. Probably get back to the Jagdpanther now.
Cheers
Si
Always keep a bit of old washing up sponge that is dampened with airbrush cleaner or water with a bit of washing up liquid and wipe as you go, Hope this helps. Cheers, Mike.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sir .
In reply to the Honorable Member for Spadling I should like to point out that I'm not daft !
Yours.
J Race.
Bed 6 .
Ward 9.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Great progress since I last looked in Si, good to see you are so close to the finish line.
Cheers Rick H.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
A late night sneaky drop in, nothing exciting but progress...

Gave the whole model a base coat of dunkegelb from the Mig AMMO late war set, which I got from John recently...

330015Link

I used the same brand thinner and I have to say I’m please with the result.
The tracks got a base of Vallejo Track primer 70.304, thinned with Vallejo flow improver.

All ready for the camo once my paint is delivered.

My foray into acrylics through the airbrush has proved pleasing so far, more so as my first attempt yrs ago was a

night mare!

Cheers for looking

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Very nice Si! Glad the acrylics worked well for you this time. Getting the airflow/paintflow is half the battle. Should stand you in good stead for the camo. Great stuff :thumb2:

Reactions: JR

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Very nice Si! Glad the acrylics worked well for you this time. Getting the airflow/paintflow is half the battle. Should stand you in good stead for the camo. Great stuff :thumb2:

Cheers comrade:thumb2:.

Incoming!!......
Well the base dunkelgelb went down nicely as mentioned.
Ive started the ambush scheme with the main colours of A.Mig-015 schokobraun (lightened with a drop or two of A.Mig-017 cremweiss)
The green is A.Mig-002 olivegrun opt2.

Happy with the result so far:smiling4:
The paint was a little troublesome this time and I had a lot more tip drying but I remembered Mikes tip and it wasn’t too bad. I found the paint came out in chunks sometimes...seems tip drying is still occurring, so I’ll play with my dilutions and air pressures etc till it behaves.
I can start to add the contrasting speckles tomorrow....hopefully.

The tracks got a mixture of pigments along the top run, fixed with white spirit. Once it dries I’ll turn them over and do the same.
Of course they are still wet in the picture so doesn’t look like much:tongue-out2:
And finally.....I’ve had a go at the commander (?) supplied with the kit.

Passes my two foot rule....:thinking:

Hope to have this finished by end of week!
We’ll see ehh:tongue-out:
Cheers for looking

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nicely balanced Si, I really like the way you terminated your green and brown at the roof top leaving the base yellow to snake its way through them. Once you get the dapple on I'm sure it will really "pop"! Cheers Rick H.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Si,
The paint looks to have gone down as it should, I am useless at all this pressure and paint flow and mix it like milk stuff these experts on here use. I mix so that it looks like a drop of water going down the window, then start at 20psi and work from there either up or down a pound or two then work up the mojo on an old 48 scale phantom fuselage as a tester part. Not so sure about the stance of the commander, I have been photo'ed at dances in that position - and the nightmares are still frequent....
Keep up the great work.
Cheers, Mike.