Si B’s- Revell 1/72 F-14D Super Tomcat

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well Si I place the model at an angle on my work bench usein rolled up kitchen roll beneath the model in balls an place a small batt or heavy object at the back to stop the model movin.
An then do some dry fits first to see if the model is in the right postion before I put the decal in the water an when its ready lift it out on the backin paper an the model cant move so then I just either use a cotton bud for big decalls or a cocktail stick for small ones to postion them. But I think its best to take a a few minutes to prep yourself for the task ahead
chris

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Well Si I place the model at an angle on my work bench usein rolled up kitchen roll beneath the model in balls an place a small batt or heavy object at the back to stop the model movin.
An then do some dry fits first to see if the model is in the right postion before I put the decal in the water an when its ready lift it out on the backin paper an the model cant move so then I just either use a cotton bud for big decalls or a cocktail stick for small ones to postion them. But I think its best to take a a few minutes to prep yourself for the task ahead
chris

Thanks for the advice Chris, I’ll take any help I can get, much appreciated :thumb2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Si, if it's any consolation, that is a really nice T-28 on your stand thingy!
Cheers, Rick H.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening Chaps,

Just to show I’m not sat on my hands, some progress. Have been adding a dark wash into the panel lines.
Been looking at pictures of these planes and they could get quite filthy, so plan on a bit more weathering.

07A8C682-1DE4-4CF2-8A5A-4FCA1AD1F772.jpeg

645A8F7B-1F62-4038-9306-A488412C8B4A.jpeg

Looking forward to breaking out the oils for a bit of play around:nerd:

• Wow
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi mate, personally I think its great, looks like a plane :smiling: and the panel lines are good. Not like you to be downhearted, I have decals that behave, other fall apart, and some turn inside out. And I only use a tile with a pipette drop of water on it.
Keep it coming .

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Looks great Si :smiling3:.
Cheers Ralph :smiling4:

Hi mate, personally I think its great, looks like a plane :smiling: and the panel lines are good. Not like you to be downhearted, I have decals that behave, other fall apart, and some turn inside out. And I only use a tile with a pipette drop of water on it.
Keep it coming .
Thanks John,
Putting aside the decals balls up, I’m still liking the build. It’s nice to do something different and all the mistakes I’ve made are being duly noted for next time round. I also used a tile and pipette and found it a lot easier than fishing around in a saucer, but still messed it up:smiling5:

Si,
Despite the issues with the decals that can try the patience of a saint that is a great looking result.
Cheers mate,
Still a bit to do but I like how it’s looking too:cool:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Don't forget the occasional match JR. She's looking mighty fine from here Si, looking for more good stuff in the future. Rick H.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI SI well apart from your little decals problem I really think you have done very well on the panel markins .I love those as im terrible at this but I must admit ive not really treid as ive got no confidence in myself to do the panel markins as I think I will mess up a very exspensive model as my tomcat is the 1/32 scale but did you not take any pics of when you was doin your panel markins ? as I would have loved to have seen you doin it so I can see for myself help
chris

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Si
Well I'm another who thinks it looks great. So often our eyes see things which we are not happy with, they kinda jump out at us, whereas others just see the overall quality. I love the finish you have.
Jim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
HI SI well apart from your little decals problem I really think you have done very well on the panel markins .I love those as im terrible at this but I must admit ive not really treid as ive got no confidence in myself to do the panel markins as I think I will mess up a very exspensive model as my tomcat is the 1/32 scale but did you not take any pics of when you was doin your panel markins ? as I would have loved to have seen you doin it so I can see for myself help
chris

Cheers Chris:thumb2:
I’m a newbie to airplanes and basically copied what I’ve done from my favourite youtube modeller Plasmo.
Here is the video. You may want to skip past the assembly steps and go straight to paint.

Hope you find this helpful

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening,

Calling this one done. Far from perfect and has been a bit of a roller coaster of a build. The seemingly endless filling and sanding, decals that I managed to knock off or put upside down....and last but not least I spilled enamel thinner
on it while weathering, which damaged the canopy:tired:

However despite the c#@% ups I’m quite pleased with the overall look. I’ve learnt a lot about tackling an airplane build so hopefully my next foray should see an improved result!

Here be pictures....don’t zoom in too close mind:smiling5:
CAC7A3B6-A721-4049-B051-474C3F26C4CE.jpeg
F85BF542-1A6F-42B3-8A83-DFA017FB06CA.jpeg
0116FA2E-4C61-4479-9369-5F693339184F.jpeg
26F24142-29CD-4161-93EC-D737B0FB8A46.jpeg
55233B84-5955-449A-9A6A-5FBB7B263B39.jpeg
ED9B74A3-0A1F-42DF-A7B2-9A403166A7C8.jpeg
88402E0B-C7F3-480F-B67D-6CDEC12A4667.jpeg
CCF1B506-E263-4A13-8339-EC4F1FEF22C5.jpeg

Thanks for looking :thumb2:

Last edited:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Mr. Benson,

Even with all the ups and downs, this came out really well and you should be very proud of your work!!! Top job Sir and thank you for putting my initials on the inside of the tail rudders. I guess the plane belongs to me now, huh???

Prost
Allen Dewire = AD (just in case you missed it)