Si-B’s Zvezda 1/35 Tiger II (AAGB)

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening all,
On this rather rainy autumnal September evening, I feel the modelling mojo flowing nicely, I had a cheeky fun build last week with the Kubelwagen and I’m fit and ready to build:smiling4:
I’ve been busy preparing my first entry for the AAGB. I’m still undecided on how to model it?

I quite like the idea of a fictional tiger that has been repaired, having the replaced parts still in red oxide primer, odd bits of damage and plenty of muck!

I could go for an actual vehicle? but I’m finding the research hard going for picking out specific tanks. I got as far as identifying which Pz Abt I could go with for a non zimm version. Then I couldn’t decide which scheme I liked best:thinking:

With that in mind, I thought I’d get this build thread rolling and I can make a decision later in.

This is actually an old Dragon kit dating back to 2004 that Zvezda managed to get hold of. These where cheap as chips when zvezda released back In 2015.
5DFEF7F7-74E1-4009-B039-5770C972C350.jpeg

Here be sprue shoots for ya filthy beggars....:smiling5:

80D5C07F-A393-4320-BC1A-A636B9A099B2.jpeg648A2AFD-BB81-47D8-9CCF-5C341A6FE311.jpeg276605D5-33D4-4751-B3F3-FA58A4C9E712.jpegF078169B-63F4-4F74-94BE-1D9C1E5172F3.jpeg130FD604-4048-4EFA-A611-D1CC48820B30.jpeg6AD90B0F-F215-4B2F-B780-3BC3B00725E0.jpeg

So at least I can just plough into clean up mode, while I work out my modus operandi.

Thanks for looking in, all forms of abuse and insults utterly welcome.
I’m afraid I only have home grown carrots from the garden on offer at the mo.....
6A05B348-1B10-46D2-9736-640C94C9F929.jpeg

The kids ate the chocolate biscuits, rock cakes and shortbread that I baked on Sunday. But I shall probably knock up an apple cake with a bit of custard if your interested?

ttfn:smiling4:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Si.
Sweet young and tender looking carrots, and not a sign of carrot fly damage, well done .
Now look what's all this talk of an actual vehicle, and unit, it's bad enought with Mr Jones and his Panther.
My offering of a Tiger will be as it comes but with some nice metal tracks, and no fire !
I thought opening the box before the start was contary to the rules, thus rendering the poster void, I hope this is only a minor infringement and you are not going to appear with a completed model late next week .:smiling2::smiling2::smiling::nerd:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Si - are the tracks all individual links as per the above pic or are they just spare links? I got one of the Zvezda/Dragon Stug IIIB's (like JohnR's) and that has some appalling rigid vinyl things that will get replaced with Miniart

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
You can have the rabbit food, I'm in for the apple cake if you please! Just let me know when she comes out of the oven. Cheers, Rick H.
I’ll put a slice to one side for you Rick:smiling4:

Si.
Sweet young and tender looking carrots, and not a sign of carrot fly damage, well done .
Now look what's all this talk of an actual vehicle, and unit, it's bad enought with Mr Jones and his Panther.
My offering of a Tiger will be as it comes but with some nice metal tracks, and no fire !
I thought opening the box before the start was contary to the rules, thus rendering the poster void, I hope this is only a minor infringement and you are not going to appear with a completed model late next week .:smiling2::smiling2::smiling::nerd:
The carrots where delicious John, would of had a lot more if I’d of thinned them out earlier. The variety was carrot fly resilient.
I doubt I’ll get this built in a week but who knows:nerd::thinking::smiling4:

Hi Si - are the tracks all individual links as per the above pic or are they just spare links? I got one of the Zvezda/Dragon Stug IIIB's (like JohnR's) and that has some appalling rigid vinyl things that will get replaced with Miniart
Tracks are individual links Mr T. There are six sprues to deal with!

Now get back to bed you lot....the sun hasn’t even woken up yet:smiling5:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Wonderful choice Comrade Benson. The make it up as you go version sounds great. I'll have the carrots if I may as you can't beat a nice bit of carrot cake. Good luck mate. It's gonna be epic

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I’ll put a slice to one side for you Rick:smiling4:

The carrots where delicious John, would of had a lot more if I’d of thinned them out earlier. The variety was carrot fly resilient.
I doubt I’ll get this built in a week but who knows:nerd::thinking::smiling4:

Tracks are individual links Mr T. There are six sprues to deal with!

Now get back to bed you lot....the sun hasn’t even woken up yet:smiling5:
Some of us, Mr T and myself frequently are to be found late at night wandering the forum. Mr T is even to be found here early in the morning !.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Wonderful choice Comrade Benson. The make it up as you go version sounds great. I'll have the carrots if I may as you can't beat a nice bit of carrot cake. Good luck mate. It's gonna be epic

Morning comrade Jones,
I’ve spent so much time this past few weeks trawling through and cross referencing info......it’s making my head spin:upside::tired:

They stopped applying Zimm in September 44 so my vehicle would be an early-ish I have the 8 toothed drive sprokets and the correct tracks in the kit but need to check through other details.

I wanted to show it with the majority, if not all, the side skirts missing and the whole things looking a battered mess so maybe a Vehicle used in the defence of Berlin?

Some of us, Mr T and myself frequently are to be found late at night wandering the forum. Mr T is even to be found here early in the morning !.

Well I suppose it’s the best time to avoid matron:smiling5:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Si
A Tiger and apple cake - what's not to like. Not too much cinnamon in the apple cake please and don't make the custard too thick either.
When Zvezda reproduced the kit did they keep the old instructions or rewrite them?
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Morning comrade Jones,
I’ve spent so much time this past few weeks trawling through and cross referencing info......it’s making my head spin:upside::tired:

They stopped applying Zimm in September 44 so my vehicle would be an early-ish I have the 8 toothed drive sprokets and the correct tracks in the kit but need to check through other details.

I wanted to show it with the majority, if not all, the side skirts missing and the whole things looking a battered mess so maybe a Vehicle used in the defence of Berlin?

Well I suppose it’s the best time to avoid matron:smiling5:

Did any end up with the final stand in Hungary?? Might be another option to Berlin. If you want me to do some research then let me know

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Did any end up with the final stand in Hungary?? Might be another option to Berlin. If you want me to do some research then let me know

I believe so, I’ve got buckets of notes at home.....I’ll be able to check it out later. Thanks for the offer of help....might take you up on that:thumb2:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Si
A Tiger and apple cake - what's not to like. Not too much cinnamon in the apple cake please and don't make the custard too thick either.
When Zvezda reproduced the kit did they keep the old instructions or rewrite them?
Jim
Hi Jim,
Fear not on the cinnamon front, neither of us are particularly keen on the stuff so it’s just enough to taste and I always cheat on the custard and buy it in tins:smiling4:

Im really not sure about the instructions Jim. I couldn’t find a picture of dragons to compare with. This is quite a simple vehicle with a low part count so I should be able to pick out any mistakes that may or may not of been made.....he says:thinking::smiling5:

First Name
Wouter
ah, good to see you build a Tiger II mate, will be a blast no doubt ^^. I'm here if you're in need for info. But most importantly: have fun. I'm quite curious to see an older Dragon Tiger II kit unfold.

Cheers

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Did any end up with the final stand in Hungary??
There are plenty of photos of Tiger IIs in Budapest, like these, though this one has Zimmerit:

t2WayC5.jpg
1d8adbc48ef1d0e53137369a14923f50.jpg

This one is apparently also in Hungary, and fits the idea of missing skirts much better as well as having no Zimmerit:

c0cb6179e240b7d8c1ea8049928b22b1.jpg

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen

Psssst, Mr. Benson,

I'm in too and love carrots. Should be a nice build for ya. I am not a rivet counter, but the drive sprockets were 9 tooth. Earlier, the field repair shops cut every other tooth off with a torch. The originals were 18 tooth sprockets and then they were produced with 9. Wouter is the man for help Si as I'm going off to learn how to fly……………..

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice one Si, will follow along too.
Lots of nice info already coming up, going to be an interesting build:smiling:.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Psssst, Mr. Benson,

I'm in too and love carrots. Should be a nice build for ya. I am not a rivet counter, but the drive sprockets were 9 tooth. Earlier, the field repair shops cut every other tooth off with a torch. The originals were 18 tooth sprockets and then they were produced with 9. Wouter is the man for help Si as I'm going off to learn how to fly……………..

Hi Allen,
Good to have you along. Well done for spotting my typo on the sprocket teeth. Worse is, I spent over an hour reading about the track and sprocket types used last night.....my sieve like brain cannot cope:upside:

Good luck with your flying machine mate, chocks away :thumb2:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JR

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Si, here are shots of late war hard edge camo without Zimm. also late war 18 tooth sprocket. These photos (for discussion purposes only)
came from the book titled Duel in the Mist vol.3. I have the tank commanders name, unit, and where the vehicle was lost. If you are interested I can pm you the rest of the info. In my opinion this hard edge ambush scheme is one of the most striking I have ever seen.
Cheers, Rick H.P1011024.JPGP1011025.JPGP1011026.JPGP1011027.JPG