Si-B’s Zvezda 1/35 Tiger II (AAGB)

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning Rick,

Thanks for the pictures of the hard edge Scheme:thumb2:

Im good for info and think I found my subject last night after going through over 150 Tiger II picture.....for discussion purposes only.6C75E359-7E39-48A1-85E5-C2858B8E7F1D.jpeg

I quite like this particular vehicle that was abandoned somewhere in Hungary. It has no Zimm, looks a proper mess, the paint work is open for interpretation and the whole scene could possibly be a candidate’s for a Diorama, building and all?

I’ll chew over it for a few days and try and make a decision.

Thanks again for taking the time to help Rick:thumb2:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
If it looks a proper mess then it will be right up your street. Really think you should do the building as well mate. Now go and take some medication from Matron and rest your brain LOL

First Name
Wouter
Morning Rick,

Thanks for the pictures of the hard edge Scheme:thumb2:

Im good for info and think I found my subject last night after going through over 150 Tiger II picture.....for discussion purposes only.View attachment 358873

I quite like this particular vehicle that was abandoned somewhere in Hungary. It has no Zimm, looks a proper mess, the paint work is open for interpretation and the whole scene could possibly be a candidate’s for a Diorama, building and all?

I’ll chew over it for a few days and try and make a decision.

Thanks again for taking the time to help Rick:thumb2:
Nice choice mate.

I did some research and looking at the style of the turretnumber I'd say this was a Tiger II of the 3./s.SS.Pz.abt. 501 which saw action during the offensive near Lake Balaton, Hungary in early 1945. The Tiger II's where quite succesful there, though a lot of them suffered final drive failures because of the soft ground in the area where the were operating. Not 100% sure but it could be that the commander was SS-Uscha. Hans Wilhelm Kramer. Most likely this Tiger II had the Licht und Schatten (commonly called ambush) camouflage, though it could be also a later variant with red oxide primer or even olive green as base color. Also, the brackets for the jack on the lower part of the hull plate are missing, which states production the earliest at October 1944.

Cheers

Last edited:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Wouts,

Thanks mate , really appreciate you finding the info :smiling4: So it seems that this Tiger suits the kit nicely. There is another picture of it that I found.

6900629D-4266-48A0-A419-8A055C0DE129.jpeg

So armed with a couple of pictures I think this is my particular Tiger.

Thanks again mate:thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Some interesting facts and photos from Rick and Wouter.
Unfortunately for me the Russians weren't ones for taking photos like the average German soldier, so unposed photos are rare. The ones with the children on and the two Russian troops do have that staged look about it.
The US one looks the most natural.

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Not only photos, they weren't much better at recording information like tank production figures and details. Less hassle on historical accuracy though when building a Russian tank LOL

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
snip, snip, snip.......

So like my Comrade, Mr Jones, I like to get the tracks underway as soon as possible. Spent and hour snipping the tracks off the sprues today.
13073B77-2FF4-4AF5-991D-358D539706FE.jpeg

There will be some sanding/scraping and filling required here and there!

Some of the ejector marks are pretty :poop::poop: but I suppose its an old mould and has probably seen better days!

1969AB55-8DFF-48F5-B562-AEB6C6C625C3.jpeg

Off to snip some more plastic :smiling4:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Nothing of interest on the telly tonight so got Back on the bench and got on with snipping stuff off sprues...

Dry fit of the largest components. No signs of warping or defects6E42228B-7C04-453D-A20F-D43B33DA31CB.jpeg

5505ED9D-82B8-44BE-9C3C-127EFDBA84CD.jpeg

Snipped off all the parts for the running gear. Some Old school scraping will be in order to take the seem lines off the suspension arms.
12D507BE-3FA5-4C02-801F-2A79F0590307.jpeg

time for bed.....said Zebedee!

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Not only photos, they weren't much better at recording information like tank production figures and details. Less hassle on historical accuracy though when building a Russian tank LOL
Excuse me Si , while I contend with some young upstart going on about the Motherland's record keeping .
Mr Jones , there are quite well documented nos of Tank produced in Russian factories, just because they wooped the ass of your fancy metal monsters and chased you all the way back to Berlin with so many modifications that no one can quite understand which model it might or could be:smiling3:. We from the far north had very few upgrades, apart from putting in bigger guns and the odd bit of armour. :nerd:
As for historical accuracy, not really important when you were the winner !:smiling::smiling::smiling::smiling::nerd:lol.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Excuse me Si , while I contend with some young upstart going on about the Motherland's record keeping .
Mr Jones , there are quite well documented nos of Tank produced in Russian factories, just because they wooped the ass of your fancy metal monsters and chased you all the way back to Berlin with so many modifications that no one can quite understand which model it might or could be:smiling3:. We from the far north had very few upgrades, apart from putting in bigger guns and the odd bit of armour. :nerd:
As for historical accuracy, not really important when you were the winner !:smiling::smiling::smiling::smiling::nerd:lol.
Well someone just got a ticking off for bad mouthing the motherland :smiling5:

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Awesome mate. Nearly had a Connery laughing so much. My apologies to you and the Motherland LOL

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Awesome mate. Nearly had a Connery laughing so much. My apologies to you and the Motherland LOL
Don't do that mate, Si won't be able to cope with the catering and the bar.:smiling2:
As soon as I have finished the diorama stand by for a street fighting Tiger, that's is if a diorama is ok for the GB ?

First Name
Wouter
aha, nice start bud, and respect because all those ejector pin marks on the tracks. I would have discarded immediately so kudos to you for sticking with them :smiling:.
I see cut outs on the center rear plate, does the kit provide clamps for the jack?

Cheers

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
aha, nice start bud, and respect because all those ejector pin marks on the tracks. I would have discarded immediately so kudos to you for sticking with them :smiling:.
I see cut outs on the center rear plate, does the kit provide clamps for the jack?

Cheers

Morning Wouts,

Looking at the destructions....
39EA64D8-B803-4412-876E-7E1241F1A3BF.jpeg01542586-0D02-4609-80CE-D27C79C20FEA.jpeg

So I would say ‘yes‘ there are clamps for the jack.....is that good or bad?