Si-B’s Zvezda 1/35 Tiger II (AAGB)

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning GB’ers,

Productive couple of hours last night and got all the suspension arms, wheels, sprockets and idlers cleaned up and seems removed.....quite a lot of clean up for a Dragon kit but I suppose it is an oldi!

What a lot of wheels:surprised:
E4CA5503-6A92-4FE2-B45A-D02EDB87D57C.jpeg

Glued the suspension arms into place and even though they have a location pin there was a fair bit of travel in them.

So to make sure all the wheels will be level, using a steel rule I checked the arms where square to the hull and in line on the horizontal.
BFF49305-C90A-444C-96F5-2758AE41DDA5.jpeg

With that lot underway, I can concentrate on getting the hull and turret together.
Thanks for looking
all comments and abuse welcomed....

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Si - At this rate you will be finished by the end of the month!

I will still be cleaning up track links at the end of the six months

First Name
Wouter
Morning Wouts,

Looking at the destructions....
View attachment 359280View attachment 359281

So I would say ‘yes‘ there are clamps for the jack.....is that good or bad?
good nor bad per se, but from a certain production date the jack wasn't added to the Tiger II's because they were useless anyway. If you are going for the Tiger from the photo you posted I'd say fill the gaps and ditch the jack. Strangely enough, the wooden block for the jack was still added on the upper right of the rear plate.

Good to see the wheel assembly, bless the Germans for the amount of wheels they fitted ey :D

Cheers

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
good nor bad per se, but from a certain production date the jack wasn't added to the Tiger II's because they were useless anyway.
Interestingly, there are photos of M1A1 Abramses in the 1991 Gulf War carrying that same style of jack somewhere in the turret rack. I mention this because they weigh about as much as a Tiger II, yet their crews appear to have seen a strong enough need for them to carry non-standard equipment like that.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Old habits die hard. I like the idea of recreating the scene in the photo you posted, so I agree with Wouter, dump the jack. Cheers, Rick H.

Last edited:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening gents,

Thanks for you stoping by....if your peckish then there is some lasagne left over....it was very good even if I do say so myself :smiling4:

B505A394-275D-4FC8-94F0-499271755009.jpeg

And if you fancy pudding there is apple cake.....which damn good!
047EA4B7-6C44-4244-9290-F5B9DC6A858E.jpeg

I must warn you the cake is going fast so don’t hang about:smiling5:

In between cooking and tending to the kids needs, I managed to grab bench time while they ate breakfast and then again while cooking that lot and a steamed gammon joint, flavoured with honey mustard:smiling4:

BADCDC91-3456-40DB-B54D-F9D518AC5D1D.jpeg

With the wheels held in place using strategic bits of tape and bluetac, I could then see how I would tackle the tracks.

These are very tight fitting tracks and are riddled with flash and ejector pin marks. So I worked out how to clean them up quickly and fashioned some thinner sanding sticks to speed thing up.

Im doing the bottom, flat track runs first, then once set I’ll attempt the top sections.
this will hopefully make two separate halves, easier for painting.......
in theory :thinking:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Si, I'm in for the apple cake... looks very tasty with just the right color of browning from the oven!
Oh, and your tank looks nice too. Cheers, Rick H.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
APPLE CAKE!! I havnt had that in years. You lucky bar steward. Send me and Rick some down the tinternet please mate :smiling5:

Well you have been busy. I still have the joys of the running gear to come. Wonderful work mate. Just gotta luv all those wheels:smiling5:

First Name
Wouter
That lasagna and cake look very tasty, mmm. Nice start on the tracks. And brave too. I don't have that bravery, tracks with lots of flash get ditched immediately. I'm lazy when concerning those things :D Keep at it chap ^^

Cheers

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
APPLE CAKE!! I havnt had that in years. You lucky bar steward. Send me and Rick some down the tinternet please mate :smiling5:

Well you have been busy. I still have the joys of the running gear to come. Wonderful work mate. Just gotta luv all those wheels:smiling5:

I've had to speak with my internet service provider as my connection wasn’t so good.....turns out you shouldn’t push apple cakes into the wall socket :thinking:...who new!!

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
That lasagna and cake look very tasty, mmm. Nice start on the tracks. And brave too. I don't have that bravery, tracks with lots of flash get ditched immediately. I'm lazy when concerning those things :D Keep at it chap ^^

Cheers

Morning mate,
Sorry to report that all the lasagna has been eaten with a vengeance:hungry:

After an hour fiddling about with the tracks, I have to admit to looking for a replacement set online :smiling5:

But I talked myself out of it and carried on with the kits tracks.
C66F382B-4D06-472E-A443-6014AECC6D07.jpeg

Carried on with the assembly of tracks around the drive sprocket and left that to set overnight. Currently making up the top run which I should be able to fit tonight, before bake off!

cheers
Si

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening all,

Cant believe we are at the midweek point already!
So after sorting the little ones out, cooking dinner and reading bedtime stories, i finally got to the bench and got the last section of tracks done.

Not the easiest set of tracks I’ve ever attempted, requiring more tape and wedges to keep it all from flying about. I’ve left the rear idler loose for fine tuning once the tracks are painted up and glued on.

D03478AA-6BE6-40D2-824A-17FCC30C7FE1.jpeg

Still have the other side to do but couldn’t do much until this side has cured fully. So got on with the turret and barrel.

4AFCED6E-F92E-4783-94A7-AFAF2DC61194.jpeg

There are some nice welds around the commanders cupola and turret roof plates. It all went together beautifully.

I can see this reaching paint by the end of the month :thinking:.

all Comments or abuse welcome
:upside:

First Name
Wouter
That finished trackrun looks good. And good to see the turret assembly.

Cheers

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well if your having " fun " with the tracks Si, I'm glad I went for the Fruil.

Food looked good , do you do meals by post ?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I thought you had meals on wheels JR?? LOL
I might be old you young b****r but AS I DO ALL THE COOKING there is no need for MEALS ON WHEELS ,( other makes and services are available , contact your social services or look in the paper).

Someone won’t be getting a Christmas card from John this year!!:smiling5:
At this rate Si theirs quite a few that won't . :smiling3::smiling3: