Si B's-Meng Jagdpanther Ausf. G1

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Afternoon,
Back in September, I took a visit to my folks place in Spain. While there I assembled Mengs Jagdpanther and took pictures along the way. It was a while ago now, but I Thought I’d share the process with you, since I'm just getting onto the painting.

Reviews say it’s one of the most accurate renditions of a Jagdpanther available.....Here’s the box art.

IMG_0803 (Edited).jpg
link to some sprue shots

Construction starts with wheels. I was happy to see the use of polycaps in the wheels...should make tracks and paint a lot easier.

IMG_0804.JPG

Next up the hull. A multipart affair but has some clever engineering making it very straightforward and fool proof. I believe there are extras you can buy if you want to do torsion bars and interior bits?
IMG_1001(Edited).jpg

IMG_1002.jpg

More to come shortly...

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Cont.....

A quick picture of the temporary bench...
IMG_1006.jpg

Swing arms attached. Some clever location slots make sure you get the right arms in the right place and such a good fit I’ve not used any glue!

swing arms.jpg

Then onto the upper hull. Starts with a clever frame and attachment of the mudguards and engine deck...some small holes to drill here.
IMG_1013.jpg

more to come...

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Theres always one that cant wait :smiling5:...hello Scottie:thumb2:

Fan units go onto the engine deck...
fans.jpg

They’ve even detailed the underside of the mudguard with screw heads
mud guards.jpg

Next up...tracks!
3 full sprues of tracks and two guide horns to add to each individual track...challenge accepted!

track sprue.jpg

Spent about 2 hours removing and cleaning up one sprues worth (73 tracks) there are 87 links to each side according to the instructions...but we all know that could be either more of less
e415.png

Before clean up. 3 connection points per link make for an involved clean up!
snip track.jpg

All done...only another 100 or so to do:flushed:

track pot.jpg

That's it for now until I can sort some more pictures out!

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Some track action next.
Each track requires x2 guide horns adding.
I Held a row of tracks down with some blue tac, then all I had to do was pick out a horn and drop it into place with a spot of glue. An hour saw 140 horns added...
IMG_1030.jpg

Snipped of the remaining tracks ready for clean up tonight.
IMG_1034(Edited).jpg

Moved on to the next step of assembly.... the casement. Before assembly you are required to drill out the correct position for various hull attachments. Being that the kit covers 4 versions, you need to pay attention to which holes go with which variant.
plaNS.jpg

Then everything lined up and stuck together....
b2.jpgb3.jpgb4.jpgb5.jpg
again a nice fit of parts...

Attachments

• IMG_1033(Edited).jpg
    IMG_1033(Edited).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1033(Edited).jpg
    IMG_1033(Edited).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1
  • b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
One of my fave tanks so i'm defo watching this

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Good to see you Al, pull up a pew, drinks will be served shortly:tongue-out3:

Cont....
right then, short and sweet. Exhaust parts and jack fitted.
1.jpg

My little track assembly production line...
2.jpg

All 175 track cleaned up and horns added

3.jpg

More in a mo....

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Mg ball mount added and main gun interior parts assembled.
inside.jpg
inside2.jpg
insdie 3.jpg

I got on with track assembly and finishing up the Photo etch odds and sods.
The tracks are left unglued in a couple of Locations so they can be painted easier....
fin1.jpg

So it went together nicely, just a few more steps and then paint (which I've already started)
more sooon:upside:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Howdy Mr. Benson,

This is a fine looking build, but one thing worries me a little. Is this going to be a burnt out wreck??? In the photo of your workbench, on the right side, I noticed a gasoline canister. I think too much of Dzhon has rubbed off on you!!! Or was that for the lawnmower……….Hmmmm!!!

I will be following this as I too, love my Kittys. Which unit are you depicting in the build as I have never seen the cleaning rod tube mounted in front of the the rear intakes. On the late models it was mounted behind them in front of the exhaust pipes. Must have been a unit thing of the 654th in the Ruhr…

Prost
Allen

Last edited:

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
I’ll follow along too Si, Jagdpanther is one of my fav TD’s.
Nice clean build so far and brave man for tackling those tracks, looking forward to see the paint.:thumb2:

Oh and nice bench set-up over there with a great view.:smiling:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Si,
That is a cracking build the tracks look well worth the time and effort. Bring on the paint.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hello mate. Glad you showed this one to the forum. Looks like a cracking kit. I wont give the game away with the wet stuff:thumb2::cool:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Si
Poor you. Fancy having to work at that bench. Warm sunshine, a beautiful view, a cold one at the ready - life can be a toil!! :tongue-out3:

That looks a great kit in all respects. Meng do have a good reputation. Really neat construction so bring on the paint.
Jim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Howdy Mr. Benson,

This is a fine looking build, but one thing worries me a little. Is this going to be a burnt out wreck??? In the photo of your workbench, on the right side, I noticed a gasoline canister. I think too much of Dzhon has rubbed off on you!!! Or was that for the lawnmower……….Hmmmm!!!

I will be following this as I too, love my Kittys. Which unit are you depicting in the build as I have never seen the cleaning rod tube mounted in front of the the rear intakes. On the late models it was mounted behind them in front of the exhaust pipes. Must have been a unit thing of the 654th in the Ruhr…

Prost
Allen

Hi Allen,
Fear not mate, that picture was taken on the patio at my parents farm. Fuel was only for the garden strimmer, no Fire damage a la Mr Race :tongue-out2:

Fancy asking me a fancy question about which unit....I don’t bloomin know:smiling5:
I had to dig out the destructions just for you....it gave me four options to build, I choose the to build a tank from the 654th, battle of the Ruhr as you’ve said....10 points sir:nerd:

Hope you well mate:smiling4:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
I’ll follow along too Si, Jagdpanther is one of my fav TD’s.
Nice clean build so far and brave man for tackling those tracks, looking forward to see the paint.:thumb2:

Oh and nice bench set-up over there with a great view.:smiling:

Got to admit to liking the old Jp’s...I got a tamiya one in the stash with several PE sets. Not sure it will be anywhere near as good as this kit! Paint is underway mate....pictures shortly :cool:

I was so lucky with my holiday. I left the wife and kids at home and just relaxed, built models, drank beer and ate some fantastic food....I do love Spain!

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hello mate. Glad you showed this one to the forum. Looks like a cracking kit. I wont give the game away with the wet stuff:thumb2::cool:

Hi Steve,
Well I had all the pictures so even though I finished the build last year I thought the forum might like to see as its a new kit as such.