Si B's-Meng Jagdpanther Ausf. G1

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I was just thinking what Pete has posted as I saw the photos.
Looks good Si, like the winter camo , very effective and natural looking .
John .

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great Scotts!
That looks rather nice. (An understatment). I was looking in for hints/tips/inspiration for my Bergepanther.... I think it's going to be Yellow on Yellow after seeing this though!!!

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Si - Mud looking good, adding to the beautiful finish on the model - you can come in from the garden now - and leave your wellies outside. Mike.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Si
This is really turning out a treat. Mud looks good. Interested to see how matt it dries. I suppose some areas may need a gloss if you want the wet mud look.
Jim

First Name
Wouter
Well, what do we have here? A Jagdpanther AND mud, two things I love :cool:. Nice work Si. Seems you're on a roll ey chap ^^

Cheers

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Again, thanks very much gents, I’ve not done mud this thick before so really appreciate your feedback:smiling4:

Everything is dry now and it looks like dry mud.....not completely what I wanted:thinking:
My photo editor and the sunlight has made the cammo colour look odd:upside:....the mud looks like it does though!

So how do I get the mud to look wet it places?
I was going to get some Ammo Mig wet effects stuff anyway, does anyone have any experience with it?

Only a few bit left to do now...and I’ve not lost interest. Which is unusual for me:smiling5:
Really appreciate your positive feedback and help
Cheers
Si

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Si,
To get the mud to look wet you can wick on some thinned down satin and then thinned gloss until you achieve the look you are after. But as dried mud that is a great effect.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
I’ve only got Vallejo gloss/satin varnishes....will these work?

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I’ve only got Vallejo gloss/satin varnishes....will these work?
Yes mate Paint some matt browns on a piece of scrap and when dry have a play and see if your happy with the results. This is the result I used on my stuck in the mud build the satin gave the mud a wet look and the puddles were done with gloss.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6559

A fantastic finish Si. The mud looks OK to me - if it ain't broke.....

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Si
If you do experiment making mud look wet I'll be interested to see the results. It does however look great as it is :thumb2:
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Si,

for damp mud just tint with a darker brown like VJ german camo black brown

for fresh wet mud then as has been said - gloss/satin varnish or Tamiya clear smoke should do the trick

A mix of dry, damp and wet in different areas may look even better - dry crusty on wheel centres, damp towards edges and wet on tracks and edges then splashes of wet generally by flicking brush, sort of thing.....

First Name
Wouter
Hi Si, you can always add different layers of oil paint as well and the guys above gave some great advice as well. And try to keep the colortones 'cold', this will really give the viewer that wintery feeling when looking at the model. I think the hull has this already but the dry mud has a bit of a too 'warm' hue to it. But when you will make it look like wet and damp mud that should really blend in. Looking forward to see this unfold.

Cheers

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Si, Nothing wrong with the mud effect, for wet, small patches of gloss should suffice, but otherwise looks good as it is.
Cheers, Mike.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Wet effects is"okay" but you cant beat oils for the wet look. I am sure you will come up with something. If you havnt thought about it already, you may want to put some oil leaks from some of the wheel hubs to add interest.