Silly paint question

M

MicroModeller

Having watched many face painting videos, I have noticed some people use a wet sponge or kitchen towel with a layer of baking paper with a blob of each paint colour. Can I ask what this is for.
Also should I be thinning my Vallejo paint with water so the layers of paint is not to thick.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Kevin
What you have described is a wet palette. Very useful tool once you’ve got used to it, the paint stays workable for days. You mix your paint on it to taste and you can reuse the mix later on. One of the drawbacks of acrylic is it’s rapid drying time when used off a normal palette. Look them up on YouTube as well......they are easily made and can transform your painting experience.

Yes, you should thin Vallejo rather than use it straight out of the bottle. I usually go for a one to one mix of water and paint, though some colours may need a little more or a little less water. Mix the paint with an old brush, the mixing will destroy a good brush in short order.

pS, nothing silly about that question at all!

M

MicroModeller

Hi Kevin
What you have described is a wet palette. Very useful tool once you’ve got used to it, the paint stays workable for days. You mix your paint on it to taste and you can reuse the mix later on. One of the drawbacks of acrylic is it’s rapid drying time when used off a normal palette. Look them up on YouTube as well......they are easily made and can transform your painting experience.

Yes, you should thin Vallejo rather than use it straight out of the bottle. I usually go for a one to one mix of water and paint, though some colours may need a little more or a little less water. Mix the paint with an old brush, the mixing will destroy a good brush in short order.

pS, nothing silly about that question at all!
Tim thanks for replying and explaining this to me, does the wet palette only use water.

D

Deleted member 6559

Kevin

My advice would be to use the paint in a way that suites you. We are usually told to use Vallejo thinned with water and build it up in layers, but I tend to use it straight from the bottle so that I get a good coverage quickly. How-to videos are great, but in my experience they do make the the process look over-complicated. Ultimately, the best way to learn is to practice. (Sorry I hate the fact that there are supposed to be 'rules' in this game - brings out the rebel in me).

M

MicroModeller

Hi Peter the problem is I have watched so many videos now I think ones mind just becomes overloaded. I will definitely have a go at both methods of applying the paint as at the end of the day it’s fun and it’s practice. :thumb2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Main thing here is "FUN".....like Peter said, there really shouldn't be "rules" in the things we do for personal enjoyment........... leave the hairsplitting to the anal retentives and enjoy yourself. Cheers, Rick H.:smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Kevin, I only brush paint and just use Vallejo Air acrylics slightly thinned with tap water. I can't give ratios, I just practice on a bit of spare plastic 'till its the consistency for my liking.

No matter what you read, with Vallejo acrylics, there is no need to buy 'special' thinners....Fact!

I heartily agree with both Peter and Rick. Go your own way, do your own thing and have fun!

Most techniques are unbelievably long winded, where a simpler approach usually gets the same result.

Don't get yourself all puddled reading too much stuff. Just practice and then more practice.

The last bit of Rick's above post sums it all up very nicely.

Ron