Simon T Memorial GB: Nov-Feb 2020. Chat thread

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Neil. I have added you to the list and I think that a great tribute to Simon to finish this in his Memory.

Jack. Very nice I noticed on his and other StrumTiger builds his was very picky on how they were built. I myself took a couple lashings from Simon on my 1/72 build but I finally won him over I think or he gave up one or the other good luck

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Before Simon passed away he bought 2 kits from me, they was delivered the day he passed, if anyone has either of them it would be a fitting tribute to build them.
1/35 M-18 Hellcat Airfix A1371
1/72 BMP3 Infantry Fighting Vehicle With Cage Armour Model Collect UA72179

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
I have an idea for something different and a laptray to make it on.

All on order and some pewter too.

More when it all arrives and down to business, with lots of putty too

So I am in

Regards

Steve H

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
John. That’s a great idea hope some picks up on it. Very sad he will never see them.

Steve. Glad to have you. I will be watching for that lap tray. First time I seen Simon working of his lap I thought I’m not the only one who does that but he was brave enough to post his work doing it.

Mike. Glad to have you. You have 3 weeks to unpack those tools and shine them up for the build. I will add you to the list.

Reactions: JR

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I'm in, but what to do? Going to have a good look through the stash and pick something, maybe some fantasy subject or an obscure kit that's more etch than plastic, or do I finish a build I started on the MM forum?

D

Deleted member 6559

Well I had to get involved with this. My last armour build was in February 2019, so it's time to blow the dust off this kit that I've had languishing in the cupboard for a while:

tamiya-35292-ww2-german-tank-panzerkampfwagen-ii-ausfabc-sdkfz-121-1-35-military-miniature-ser...jpg

Building armour always made me think of Simon, and it usually wasn't long before he'd comment with something like ''I know you like to build out of the box Peter, but you have to do something about the awful....'' As I've said elsewhere, I know I drove him mad, but he was always very gracious and accepting of the results. What's more, this kit has PE mesh covers for the mufflers, which terrify me, but which I'm sure he would approve of (though in fact he'd have probably discarded them and scratched his own).

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Tim. I can see you Tell is what’s on you mind to build you have been added.

Peter. I’m glad you finally gave in and joined us. Like you I’m terrified of PE but I’m going to try it on my build. Great choice glad to see you resurrect this build

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I also would like to join in for Simon ,we did have a bit in common with unfinished builds,
be nice to do somethink he was working on at some stage if anyone dose know some,i could pick from

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Monica. I will be glad to add you. John said he sold some Armor kits to Simon the other day you may want to look at one of those kits. John said the arrival the day he passed away. John posted this early here.

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
I’ve been kicking around the idea of building this for some time now:
54407219-043F-4770-A1DF-68FDB03AA673.jpeg
It’ll require an awful lot of scratch building, and a bit of cut’n shut as my donor MAN truck is a 6-wheeler, not 8, but I reckon Si would have approved.
(I may even tackle a bit of resin-casting for this too...)