Simon's Prezzy to me! Airfix Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
SimonT gave me this kit when we met up at Cosford last Sunday. Thank you again Simon, top man!

P1220460.JPG

....so to go some small way to repay his generosity, here she is in her 'Baltic Livery' (well near enough anyway) prior to her sailing for Norway with the battleship Bismark.
Brush painted with Vallejo Model Air Acrylics. I marked where the stripes were to go with a pencil then painted them in..... :dizzy:!

P1220448.JPG

P1220450.JPG

P1220449.JPG

P1220451.JPG

P1220452.JPG

Diddy 'init!
P1220457.JPG

......bent picture, not red stripes.
P1220456.JPG

Cheers all.
Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent job mate and super quick too ! Cheers tony

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
WOW 570.
Very kind of the Time Lord.

Compliments on the watercolor wash back ground, just sets it off.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.
Glad you like the finished model. Although a small and straight forward ship to build, it was a b****r to paint and rig!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You built an' painted that little gem in the three days since Cosford! Can't wait to see what you do with that Queen Mary in the same scale! You've always said you prefer a challenge rather than a 'shake 'n' bake' kit - so no excuses now you've shown us this one.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Blimey Ron - didn't expect it to get completed that fast! I know it's only small but still.....

:smiling:

After sitting and marinading in the deepest darkest recess of the stash for what I reckon is 32yrs it deserved to finally get built so well done

It was purchased from a decrepit old newsagents that I found near where I worked. It was a wonderful old place piled high with old newspapers and magazines and bits'n'pieces - looked ready for Ronnie Barkers Arkwright character. Everything was covered in a good layer of dust

The shopkeeper was a weird old grumpy chap that looked as dusty as the shop - he always seemed reluctant to sell stuff and opened on a random basis as and when he felt like it so you just had to keep visiting until it was open

In one corner and above the door were some dusty old shelves containing some vintage Airfix kits that had clearly been sat there since the 1970's - I eventually managed to pick up a fair few things including boxes of Multipose figures, 54mm carded figures, carded Scorpion light tank, Centurion, F15 Eagle, 1:12 historical figures
Always regretted not getting the 1:12 Bengal Lancer though.....

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.
Dave - I've had a look in the Q.M's box. I've never seen such small and awkward painting. (Millions of tiny windows for a start) It will take me months to complete! Because of the time scale, I might have to revise my contribution for Tony's Cosford Challenge.

Simon - Doing what you want when you want is one of the pleasures of retirement. Apart from which I downed tools on other builds to concentrate on your 'gift' and blitzed it for two days solid.
I'm really chuffed you like the finished job and thanks for the bit of history too. The poor thing has been one hell of a time in the dark recesses of your stash!

Thanks for your input too Mick.... :thumb2:

Cheers.
Ron