Simon's Sikorsky CH53 GS/G Revell 1/48

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Simon just being having a catch up on your build, then got to the part about your eye !
Very frightening indeed, we take are vision as granted, but when you have the problem that you suffered it really brings it home .
Glad to read that it's improving so well .
Great work on the bird, love that camo, you managed that well . What's your depth of field like ?

I've found now with only using one eye it takes practice.

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Simon just being having a catch up on your build, then got to the part about your eye !
Very frightening indeed, we take are vision as granted, but when you have the problem that you suffered it really brings it home .
Glad to read that it's improving so well .
Great work on the bird, love that camo, you managed that well . What's your depth of field like ?

I've found now with only using one eye it takes practice.
Vision has stayed stable, still missing a small portion on both eyes bottom left and wearing my glasses all the time now
only issue is my feet!!! Because i cant see them periferally i keep tripping over stuff dog mainly but kerbs as well fingers crossed it all returns but with the initial blindness and the great improvments over the last 3 or 4 months i could live with it
i was told at the start that what i get back in the first 6month after a stroke is what your left with but time is a great healer
thank you for your kind words
simon

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Ok tail end charley hoping to cross the finish line before the enddate …. but works mental. I knew this would be a challenge personally that is but Revell ain't helping kits complete apart from atouch up or 2 started the decal challenging or what tail rota decals are to short ok in hind sight i should have painted them but times running out. Some i cant even i dentify the position on the aircraft THANKS REVELL or is it me?

Attachments

• 7B160749-AE9C-4F4D-B829-BEEF1453AA32.jpeg
    7B160749-AE9C-4F4D-B829-BEEF1453AA32.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 32
  • CA69CF6E-B804-4393-BA28-E35DAC22A35C.jpeg
    CA69CF6E-B804-4393-BA28-E35DAC22A35C.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 30

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Ok tail end charley hoping to cross the finish line before the enddate …. but works mental. I knew this would be a challenge personally that is but Revell ain't helping kits complete apart from atouch up or 2 started the decal challenging or what tail rota decals are to short ok in hind sight i should have painted them but times running out. Some i cant even i dentify the position on the aircraft THANKS REVELL or is it me?
Bummer dude...

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Simon,
Bummer alright but joining the red and white stripes with paint won't be a problem for you. But for the rest of the decals...hmmm. You'll need to look at photo references I think.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Si lookin forward to seeing this finished as i also got this kit off a c/b sale for 50 p so seeing yours will help me on an when i build mine
cheers an jen an i hope your eyes are now better
ATB
chrisb mtb

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
HI Si lookin forward to seeing this finished as i also got this kit off a c/b sale for 50 p so seeing yours will help me on an when i build mine
cheers an jen an i hope your eyes are now better
ATB
chrisb mtb
Thanks not sure i can give you any build tips but if you need anything let me know, great buy though. thank you both, eyes are still the same just a small blind spot at the bottom but this radiates out in an arc so either side of my feet i can‘t see for about 2m above and straight ahead seems fine but rely more on my glassse than ever
simon

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Hi Simon,
Bummer alright but joining the red and white stripes with paint won't be a problem for you. But for the rest of the decals...hmmm. You'll need to look at photo references I think.

Cheers,
Richard
Yea ill post the detail no idea where it is on the aircraft but my son said wing it Who will notice!!!

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sorry to hear your news on the stroke. Good things are that you are now on their radar and that there are signs of repair underway.

I was interested to see this article as I have one in my stash - though I doubt I will make as good a job, as the images you have posted are stunning.

I hope you can return to modelling soon.

John

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Sorry to hear your news on the stroke. Good things are that you are now on their radar and that there are signs of repair underway.

I was interested to see this article as I have one in my stash - though I doubt I will make as good a job, as the images you have posted are stunning.

I hope you can return to modelling soon.

John
thanks flip that nice of you to say, still building just slower than normal!! cheers

Last edited:

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
No idea common to all version’s?

Attachments

• D096220A-C88F-4254-B479-413FFC867A44.jpeg
    D096220A-C88F-4254-B479-413FFC867A44.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 18
  • BB9CFF73-6708-40C3-B1F8-12716F1338C9.jpeg
    BB9CFF73-6708-40C3-B1F8-12716F1338C9.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 420E5E15-AF3E-4DCE-9A02-3C303094BAC4.jpeg
    420E5E15-AF3E-4DCE-9A02-3C303094BAC4.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 23

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Goodness me, the decal stencilling is as bad as the Phantom Wild Weasel from Hasegawa.
I'd check and match the drawings against the paneling of the fuselage. It could be underneath.

Cheers,
Richard.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I think I see where you may have gone wrong here. The leading edges should be a natural metal colour. The red/white stripes start at the transition from the leading edge, wrapping around the trailing edge to finish next to the leading edge on the opposite side of the blade.
See this photo for illustration - http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/ulrich_wrede/ch-53gs/images/ch-53gs_13_of_37.jpg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I hear you Simon.......been going through that myself lately. Glad you got it fixed up and it looks like you might make the deadline on completion. :thumb2: :thumb2: ;)

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
No idea common to all version’s?
Simon,
I got my kit out again today and un-bagged all the sprues. I have gone over every piece-part and can find none that match the panellisation depiction in those cut-away views. I don't think I'm being thick - I just can find nothing that matches.
If it is of any comfort, there's at least two of us :smiling5:
Regards,
John

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Hi all 1 last moan winge call it what you want! Just about to decal the rota blades only to discover there's not enough of them!!. If you count the dashed lines and the solid lines part ref199 & 200 there should be 24 but only 12 in the pack? i checked double checked and then cleaned out my room definatly only 12, Flip you said you have this kit could you check for me if you have time. Same page as before unless i really am loosing it,and again (thanks Rick) these lead from the leading edge but much clearer on this detail
simon

Attachments

• 0CDA4C9B-46B0-480D-B5DD-A856BCD5B895.jpeg
    0CDA4C9B-46B0-480D-B5DD-A856BCD5B895.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 7