SimonT - 1/24 Abandoned Mini

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Outstanding work Mr T. I'm interested in the "adding of screw thread". I have tried as you know but to no avail. I will need to look out for one of these jewellers die set things. Thanks for sharing

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I should have known better than to mention nipples :rolling: :smiling5:

Cheers Steve - the tap and die set I used is this TAP&DIE it does 0.6, 0.7, 0.8, 0.9, 1.0mm. Threads are so fine they will probably vanish under paint. Seems to work best with brass

Started looking at the front sub frame - as with everything else it has problems.

Firstly it has some kind of rally stone guard moulded as part of the front cross rail so that got sawn off and the slot/dimples filled

Looking at it further it became obvious that parts of the subframe are moulded in with the engine bay bodywork rather than the subframe presumably to make moulding easier. Trouble is, not only are they not part of the sub frame, they are also incorrect

Started removing the incorrect bits from the engine bay and managed to shear off the inner left wing

mini-083_2020-7-12.jpg
oops :smiling4:

Managed to get it back in place

mini-084_2020-7-12.jpg
mini-085_2020-7-12.jpg
so there are now two large notches in the inner wings - these are where the suspension turrets should sit when the sub frame is installed

mini-086_2020-7-12.jpg
the sub frame will need considerable corrective work to make the suspension turrets

the white bits above are those removed from the engine bay - bear no resemblance to the turrets they are meant to represent

mini-089_2020-7-12.jpg
mini-088_2020-7-12.jpg
added the front lip to the forward edge of the bulkhead/dash panel complete with the triangular bracing plates at each side that tie the inner wings to the bulkhead

also patched a recess in the top of the bulkhead that should not be there - you can see it in the photo above to the right of the bracing plate. Needs a skim of filler to blend it in

mini-087_2020-7-12.jpg
mini-090_2020-7-12.jpg
front and rear screen rubbers sanded off the bodywork

the screen rubbers should fit over the body work edge and sit in a recess which of course isn't there so lots of scraping with a pointy blade was required to make the recess and thin flange

Good job the final result will be a wreck as I broke the rain gutter above the rear window just by holding it too tight - it is getting fragile with all the thinned down parts

Last edited:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Spent half the day making a petrol tank for this, then the rest of the day making another one as the first turned out way too small :smiling5:

Slightly annoying that the first one came out small but having made one the second one was a lot faster

mini-093_2020-7-13.jpg
mini-096_2020-7-13.jpg
tank installed in car

mini-091_2020-7-13.jpg
mini-092_2020-7-13.jpg
needs some final polishing to smooth things down

mini-095_2020-7-13.jpg
I chiselled out a recess and added the sender unit for the petrol gauge - I even managed to get a copper wiring connector into the middle

basically the tank is made from laminated plastic card

mini-094_2020-7-13.jpg

just so you can have a laugh this is both tanks together.....

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Spent half the day making a petrol tank for this, then the rest of the day making another one as the first turned out way too small :smiling5:

Slightly annoying that the first one came out small but having made one the second one was a lot faster

View attachment 392499
View attachment 392502
tank installed in car

View attachment 392497
View attachment 392498
needs some final polishing to smooth things down

View attachment 392501
I chiselled out a recess and added the sender unit for the petrol gauge - I even managed to get a copper wiring connector into the middle

basically the tank is made from laminated plastic card

View attachment 392500

just so you can have a laugh this is both tanks together.....
New jeans, Simon? ;)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Morning Simon
What is it they say - measure twice, cut once :smiling: . Looks good now.
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Thanks Scottie

Hi Steve - :thumb2:

Jim - they do indeed but this time it wasn’t the measuring at fault. I was rather too enthusiastic with the sanding to shape and once happy with the shape I found it had shrunk rather alarmingly :smiling4:

Second time around I did more test fitting in between sandings