SimonT - 1/24 Abandoned Mini

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Scottie - so had I ! :smiling5: Too many works in progress

Jim - oh yes, boy do they rust. My first car was a 1976 Clubman 1098cc - spent every weekend sanding down the rust and treating it with Jenolite rust convertor

Thanks Ian

Ken - thanks for dropping in, cheers

Further progress....

mini-034_2019-8-29.jpg
the dash panel comes with the instrument binnacle moulded in but since I am doing an abandoned project I wanted the binnacle separate

the only way to remove it without damage was to cut out the centre section of the dash, separate the binnacle from the piece of dash and then reassemble the dash

mini-031_2019-8-29.jpg
mini-036_2019-8-29.jpg
needs a little tidying up but should be fine

I realised I should have left the roof off to aid assembly and painting - too late, oops

mini-037_2019-8-29.jpg
sanded the scallop shape into the leading edge of the parcel shelf and then created the bulkhead that forms the seat back / front of the boot

this has the hole in it that was used at the factory to mount the early shells on a rotating spit

mini-032_2019-8-29.jpg
mini-035_2019-8-29.jpg
due to some wally sticking the roof on I had a right job trying to get the bulkhead / parcel shelf installed but after a few attempts I finally managed it

mini-030_2019-8-29.jpg
I then added a seat squab tray and the support bracket, again after a bit of a struggle due to limited space

mini-033_2019-8-29.jpg
the squab was boxed in with plastic card and filled

mini-038_2019-8-29.jpg
lastly the binnacle has been stuck to a sheet of plastic card - this will get trimmed down to create the flange that mounts it to the bulkhead

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
All looks to be progressing really well. So much to 'alter' as the kit was never meant to have the features of abandonment. No blood or pewter but plenty of time yet :tongue-out3:
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Jim - yes, a fair bit of modification required

Scottie - haha, don't know about that, all pretty standard stuff really so far

mini-040_2019-8-30.jpg
dash panel fitted to body shell

mini-039_2019-8-30.jpg
sanded down all the filler around the back seat / bulkhead - not the easiest thing to do due to lack of access

strengthening ribs then added to bulkhead from half round strip

also made a start on adding the lip of the boot aperture - kit boot lid not really removable so is missing a lot of detail

looking at this pic I noticed that the plastic is rather thick when looking through the rear light apertures - will have to try and thin this down

mini-041_2019-8-30.jpg
a rather fuzzy picture of the boot lid showing the internal structure made from plastic card, half round strip and all blended together with filler

the boot lid edges were all scraped to thin down the edges to a more scale like appearance

this took a lot longer to do than write about

I also cut out the instrument binnacle from the plastic card and formed the mounting flange then made the back of the instruments - forgot to take a picture though

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning all,

did a bit of work on the mini engine

for some reason the main block is moulded with half of the cylinder head, the other half being a separate part that doesn't fit very well

sawed off the half head and joined it to the other kit part

mini-042_2019-9-1.jpg
it will need work

mini-044_2019-9-1.jpg

with the half head removed I could flatten off the top of the block and then modify it

mini-043_2019-9-1.jpg

I drilled out the cylinders, stud holes and water chamber holes

I had already stuck the two halves of the block together ages ago - hadn't considered that the engine is hollow so of course when I came to put the pistons in they just fell inside as there were no actual bores

Should have filled the parts before joining really but never mind - managed to use long bits of rod that run right down into the sump

CA'd some rod in to the head stud holes - they will need a little trimming to flatten off the ends

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Brilliant work simon , proper scratching ! Its going to look amazing when its done cheers tony

D

Deleted member 7181

Obviously I wasn't around when you started this build but I've caught up from the start and there's some very impressive additions and modifications! Will make sure to keep an eye on this.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
I agree with Tony when he says that this is proper scratching. I am sure it will turn out well.
Jim

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Cracking work! Really turning into a nice...er...wreck. Top scratch making, going to look superb when all finished.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Andy - thanks

Jim - fingers crossed

Si - thanks

Managed a bit more on this one

mini-045_2019-9-8.jpg
more rust around the headlight - another typical place
Done by bouncing the Dremel about with a grinding bit

mini-047_2019-9-8.jpg
created the bottom section of the B pillar - the kit is not intended to have open doors of course so a lot of structure is missing

mini-048_2019-9-8.jpg
inner sill / door step added along the bottom of the door aperture

mini-050_2019-9-8.jpg
rust added to base of window - yet another favourite of the tin worm

mini-053_2019-9-8.jpg
mini-054_2019-9-8.jpg
mini-052_2019-9-8.jpg
mini-051_2019-9-8.jpg
plus scuttle / windscreen corners and rear lower corners

in fact there isn't a lot that the tin worms won't chomp on

mini-049_2019-9-8.jpg
also continued adding the flanged edges around the windows

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning Mr T,
I like how this is coming along The rusted through bits look great so far and that instrument binnacle is something else:surprised:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Coming on well. Rust ends to bubble up under the paint before there is rust showing or a hole. Second to last photo looks perfect for that. How did you do that bubbling effect?
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Thanks Si

Morning Jim - small grinding bit in the Dremel randomly bounced about

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Almost looks as if you have added material to look like bubbled up paint.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I will be adding some small patches of red oxide VJ texture paste like I did with the Range Rover

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just caught up on this Simon, had to smile when I I read the Pistons fell through.
What I thought even Simon suffers from these sort of catastrophes:flushed::smiling2:.
Love the rust , like Jim mention bubbling up.
I still have some rust converter, not Jenolite but Curerust . Used it on a hanging baskets brkt and left it unpainted,looks fine even after 2 years .:smiling3:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Forgot about this one Mr T! Nice to see the progress you have made. Looking really good