SimonT - 1/24 Abandoned Mini

Tim Marlow

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I remember a magnet being essential when buying a used BMC or Ford in those days. It was the best way to spot sprayed over filler.....
This is looking about as structurally intact as a real one....The area around the top of the headlights was always bad I seem to remember....

SimonT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Simon
Pete - good point

Tim - all mine went around the bottom of the headlights then along the seam with the front panel

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Brings back restoration nightmares. Excellent work. PaulE

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Don't forget the bottom of the battery box - I've seen a few where the battery was only held in by the connections!
Pete

Steve Jones

Apprentice Bodger
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Why else did we buy newspapers in the seventies if not to use in filling holes in our four door racers. I took the wing off my Fiesta once (which incidentally had a foot spa in the passenger well when it rained LOL) and the garage said they couldn't fit a new one as there was nothing to weld it too other than filler and newspaper!!

Last edited:

Paintguy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
When I sold my first mini to a mate for scrap he simply ripped the rear subframe out as most of the mounting points had turned to weetabix. I have fond memories of bombing up and down the country in it, but in reality it was a death trap!

SimonT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Simon
I too had the foot spa in one of my minis - drove back from a show in pouring rain with my feet in 3inch of water

My mini 30 anniversary special had plenty of filler from new - there was a bit of rust bubbling on the door. When I investigated I found half an inch of factory filler across a large portion of the door. Someone at the factory must have bashed the skin in and rather than replace they just filled it. Lovely job though - couldn’t tell it was filler until it started falling off!

SimonT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Simon
My last classic mini was a brand new 1998 sports pack cooper with delivery miles - I found that they hadn't even bothered to spray the underside / inside of the wings and front panel so the front end was dissolving

Anyway, back to the build - don't have a lot of time on an evening so needed something quick to do

So, I made a battery......

mini-056_2019-9-11.jpg

Steve Jones

Apprentice Bodger
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice work Mr T. Will you be doing a figure of you jump starting it?? LOL