Simon
mini-055_2019-9-9.jpg
made front door / wing closing panel - slight gap at the bottom to fill

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I remember a magnet being essential when buying a used BMC or Ford in those days. It was the best way to spot sprayed over filler.....
This is looking about as structurally intact as a real one....The area around the top of the headlights was always bad I seem to remember....

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Pete - good point

Tim - all mine went around the bottom of the headlights then along the seam with the front panel

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Brings back restoration nightmares. Excellent work. PaulE

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Don't forget the bottom of the battery box - I've seen a few where the battery was only held in by the connections!
Pete

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Why else did we buy newspapers in the seventies if not to use in filling holes in our four door racers. I took the wing off my Fiesta once (which incidentally had a foot spa in the passenger well when it rained LOL) and the garage said they couldn't fit a new one as there was nothing to weld it too other than filler and newspaper!!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7181

When I sold my first mini to a mate for scrap he simply ripped the rear subframe out as most of the mounting points had turned to weetabix. I have fond memories of bombing up and down the country in it, but in reality it was a death trap!

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I too had the foot spa in one of my minis - drove back from a show in pouring rain with my feet in 3inch of water

My mini 30 anniversary special had plenty of filler from new - there was a bit of rust bubbling on the door. When I investigated I found half an inch of factory filler across a large portion of the door. Someone at the factory must have bashed the skin in and rather than replace they just filled it. Lovely job though - couldn’t tell it was filler until it started falling off!

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
My last classic mini was a brand new 1998 sports pack cooper with delivery miles - I found that they hadn't even bothered to spray the underside / inside of the wings and front panel so the front end was dissolving

Anyway, back to the build - don't have a lot of time on an evening so needed something quick to do

So, I made a battery......

mini-056_2019-9-11.jpg

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice work Mr T. Will you be doing a figure of you jump starting it?? LOL

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Same here...I’d forgotten about this and thought, great! It’s been updated....

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I like knackered minis, in fact i hate minis:tongue-out3:

As a 16 yr old 1st yr apprentice trying to change the bottom radiator hose and by pass hose with fingers like sausages plus no room. Hours later bleeding fingers, shot nerves!!!!!

So Simon bring on one ruined mini

• Haha

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Toby - oh dear you have woken up the rabble :smiling5: Yes it has been on hold for a while now - not long to go before we can have a stalled day party for it :smiling4:

Neil, Tim, Jim, Bob, John and Toby - it is not forgotten and shall make a return at some point

It is currently sitting in a box within a box along with the also temporarily on hold T55 enigma and the JS-III