SimonT - 1/35 Miniart Dingo - Rons Recon GB

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hope the crapintheback is dry fit or it'll be a b----r to paint. Looks great though. PaulE

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Cheers Si

Thanks Neil - the trick is thatrope is last to be painted

Paul - thanks. Stowage is all fixed in place. Only loose bits are steering wheel, Bren, passenger seat and the wheels

Still no paint :rolling:

dingo-081_2019-12-15.jpg
added a tin hat

dingo-082_2019-12-15.jpg
and a couple of Duro haversacks

now it is ready for paint

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Very nice, detailed build. As Paul says it will be awkward to paint but I tend to prefer that rather than trying to fix ready painted parts in place with glue marks and the resulting touch ups. Paint before next year :tongue-out3: ?
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Scottie / Jim - primed this morning with AK black so should be ready for a base coat

Same here Jim - with it all fitted I know there will not be issues later and although it makes painting tricky it should be ok in the end

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Lovely work on the Duro haversacks ....I’ve attempted these myself and they ended up looking like something the kids did :smiling5:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Si - thanks. Think I have nearly got the hang of Duro

Fanfare please, we have paint

dingo-083_2019-12-16.jpgdingo-084_2019-12-16.jpgdingo-085_2019-12-16.jpgdingo-086_2019-12-16.jpg
Don't have many specific British paints so used my AK Africa Corps modulation set - it's sand coloured

During painting my non too stable airbrush holder decided to topple over and land on the main body of the vehicle, breaking off the right side window

Luckily it was a clean break at the hinges so no real damage done

A bit of superglue and it is now fixed back on

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Da dada da da daaaaaaaa

Nice start on the wet stuff Mr T. Sorry to hear about the mishap. Any excuse to keep building during the painting stages LOL

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Blimey, that’s a turn up for the books!
We are truly honoured to see paint Mr T
:smiling4:

Fancy attacking it with the airbrush holder....a buttock clenching moment no doubt!!
Now please try not to drop it, throw it, kick it or generally knacker it with heavy stuff

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
The gloss varnish didn't work too well - having had good results with AK ultra matt I went with their ultra gloss

It didn't spray at all well and ended up with a lumpy finish that remained tacky even after a week

stripping it was not really an option as it would destroy all the details so I decided to push on and see what happens

dingo-087_2019-12-24.jpgdingo-089_2019-12-24.jpgdingo-088_2019-12-24.jpg
so I added the decals

since I am not trying to replicate a specific vehicle I changed the number - cut off the last digit and replaced it with one from one of the other schemes

for anyone building one of these the right rear arch decal is too large - should really fit below the rear light so needs a little of the red trimming off

unfortunately I couldn't get it off again so had to slice the corner off in place to get it to fit around the light

I took a chance and used some of the Mig decal solution - last time I tried it it destroyed the decals, this time it seemed to be ok so it must depend on how good the decals are

left them to dry for the day and then gave them a coat of Tamiya x22 gloss - should have stuck with that in the first place as it sprayed nicely as usual

I will leave it for a few days and see if it is worth continuing.......

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
The Tamiya dried nicely and covered up the sticky finish so it has now had some Africa Korps wash and Oilbrusher Starship filth, Dust and white

dingo-090_2019-12-27.jpgdingo-091_2019-12-27.jpgdingo-092_2019-12-27.jpgdingo-093_2019-12-27.jpgdingo-094_2019-12-27.jpg
managed to drop it again when it fell off the length of sprue I had CA'd underneath as a handle :rolling:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Simon, I've had the same problem with those varnishes, after cleaning out the a/b of small lumps of varnish I strained the next cupful, much better. Definitely seems to clog in lumps when it's left even after a good shake.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Not had any problems with the Ultra Matt John, just the gloss

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Glad it has come good in the end. I have more trouble with gloss varnish than anything else through the AB. I must have half a dozen makes and still can't be sure of a result. I've settled on Hannants Xtracrylic at the moment. I have never used X22 as a varnish. I just use it to add to Tamiya matt to make it satin.
Anyway your little 'canine' is looking very good.
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
dingo-095_2020-1-4.jpg
managed some detail painting on the Dingo

found that the Miniart instructions don't appear to give any detail painting information, just the overall external colour scheme sheet - not so great

Anyway some of the parts have been blocked in:

tyres done with Tamiya rubber black

packs and helmet done with Tamiya khaki

seats and head pads done with red brown

crate with flat earth

captured jerrycans with dark yellow

shovel handle with buff and the blade with black rubber

the hydraulic pipes that I added to the suspension - black rubber

all need more work but it's a start