SimonT - 1/35 SU-122

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
This one was first started five or more years ago then put to one side in favour of something else.

It was resurrected for a short time at the end of last year then fell by the wayside again.

Nearly a year later it has floated to the surface for another go....

A catch up on progress to date:

su122-001_2017-12-23.jpeg
the kit in question is this vintage Tamiya - it had been sat in the stash for a large number of years

su122-003_2017-12-23.jpg
motorisation holes all blanked and filled, sponsons blanked off

su122-019_2018-11-20.jpg
engine deck louvres scratched

su122-018_2018-11-20.jpg
managed to lose one idler wheel so had to scratch a replacement

su122-020_2018-11-20.jpg
poly hubs replaced with scratched items from plastic card and pewter

su122-021_2018-11-20.jpg
gun barrel made from aluminium tubing, new lifting eyes from brass wire, new track guards from copper sheet, cast texture added from stippled on vj filler

New things added over the last couple of days

su122-022_2018-11-20.jpg
Eduard etch grilles added after carving out the kit parts (hard plastic so took a while) , fuel can rack added to left side (the started ones on the right will be removed and replaced)

su122-017_2018-11-20.jpg
su122-016_2018-11-20.jpg

the tracks will be replaced with Masterclub resin versions - about half the links are already cleaned up from one of my previous sessions

Still quite a few things to sort out but hopefully I will actually get it finished this time........

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Simon.
Always a pleasure following your builds and this one will be no exception. The first point is ". I lost an idler wheel, so scratched a new one " Assuming the white one is the replacement, it's well,. the dogs !:surprised::surprised::surprised::surprised::surprised:
The lipping on the fenders another of your trademarks. How on earth do you manage to keep that length so neat.
Don't put this one down until it's finished please .

By the way your apprentice young " Rivet " Jones of the West is making great head way, you have schooled him well .:thumb2:

John .

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Well this certainly deserves to be finished this time around. As John says the scratched wheel is impressive.
Jim

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
With me, sometimes a project turns into a job. When it's no longer fun you have to put it aside. This year is my third try to finish the blacksmith dio. The SU is looking fine. The louvers where a kickinthebutt (a surprise), and the fenders are awesome. PaulE

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Simon, very nice start, good luck with the rest of the build you've got to finish it this time.
Pete.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
It appears all the hard stuff is out of the way so nothing to slow you down.
Cheers, Rick H.:thumb2:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Thanks John - yes the white wheel is the new one. Guarantee that when I finish the build the missing wheel will turn up :rolling:
The lip on the fenders - due to it being longer than my etch bender tool I think I used a steel rule. Placed it with the lip overhanging the edge of the rule then pushed it with something to bend it down. Once it is all bent over run down the length with a metal object (I tend to use a scalpel handle) against the rule to smooth it out
I have recently purchased a super large etch bender so such bends should be easier in future

Ah, doing well, young padawan jones is. Herh herh herh.

Jim - thanks. I shall try and get there this time although I must remember that I also need to finish the Range Rover

Paul - thanks. I know what you mean about not continuing if not enjoying it - this wasn't one of those. It just got pushed to one side due to various group builds and other projects. I have rather a lot of started projects and limited time so sometimes things slide a bit

Pete - cheers

Rick - getting eight fuel tank supports all looking the same is the next task. Once that is done then it is just the small details to add

Nothing further to show but I hopefully have the next couple of days off work so there may be progress soon.....

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Watch out the Russians are coming!!

I will look forward to watching you work your magic on the scratchery and fine detailing. Off to a terrific start already I see. Nice to hear you have made a start on the tracks. Mind numbingly boring cleaning them up. Good luck.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Steve - I agree, tracks are rather mind numbing. Luckily Masterclub resin links are nicely cast so not much work required

Si - Ta

Well I had the day off work so managed a bit more on this

I wasn't happy with the previously started fuel can racks so stripped them off and scrapped them

su122-030_2018-11-23.jpg
in order to get all eight the same I cut eight rough shapes then lightly glued them all together
the resulting block was then sawed and sanded to shape

su122-024_2018-11-23.jpg
the block was then sliced apart again into the eight individual brackets

su122-027_2018-11-23.jpg
su122-028_2018-11-23.jpg
su122-029_2018-11-23.jpg
brackets glued in place - filler will need trimming once set and the tops need adding to all brackets

su122-023_2018-11-23.jpg
periscope and pistol ports added to hull

su122-026_2018-11-23.jpg
left side grab rail replacement with brass rod

the mountings are made from brass wire flattened in plierssu122-025_2018-11-23.jpg
seam lines added to the tanks

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Super work Simon.
I see the filler around those brkts was that a strengthening addition to the glue, or is the filler .
the method of application ? I like the brass rod and mountings. Clever work that man.:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:
John.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Cheers Rick

Hi John - brackets just glued on as per normal. The filler was to fill the holes left by not using the kit parts and make a stab at some weld seams

Thanks Paul

Morning all

not a huge amount of progress yesterday as spent afternoon with sister and Dad in care home

su122-033_2018-11-24.jpg
filler pared down - looking again I may need to tidy it a bit further

su122-031_2018-11-24.jpg
su122-032_2018-11-24.jpg
grab rail added to right hull side and two smaller ones added to engine deck

Also cleaned up a few more track links - keep chipping away at them

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Simon, thought It might be some Black art !
Hope all is well with Dad.
John.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn Simon,

Just caught up with this and I see you are up to your magic again. Those fuel tank mounts look very fragile. I imagine you must be careful when handling the upper hull.

I also hope you bring this one to the end. Do the master club tracks have 2 different pin sizes like their panzer IV tracks?

Prost
Allen

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning Mr T,

Clever idea with the fuel pod brackets...very logical :nerd: Grab rails look fantastic too:thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Hope Dad is OK.
All looking good - typical Simon T multi media approach :smiling2: Clever way to make the fuel pod brackets. Did you consider making one and resin casting the rest?
Jim

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Simon,
Very, very impressive work, no need to rush, for quality work like this we can wait in anticipation.
Hope your Dad is well.
Cheers,
Mike.