SimonT - 1/35 SU-122

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Grant Line used to provide 1/87 nut/bolt assys. Still have some I think. Like Simon says, some plastic glues/cements will melt them. PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Grant line is good but sometimes too large for my purposes.......makes small assemblies look clunky......working on a solution though. Rick H.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Cheers Scottie

Thanks Lee

Paul - I did get a large assorted box of Grandt Line nuts, bolts, hinges, lifting eyes, and the most useful wing nuts back around 1990. Pretty much only have the odd sized stuff left that will probably never be useful for anything! Tried to find their wing nuts recently but nothing doing - think they have gone bust from what I read

Rick - much more suited to 1/35

I think my body clock has a broken mainspring - been exhausted tired all weekend for no good reason and as a result spent most of it asleep. What a waste of a weekend.

Only really woke up around 6pm Sunday so not much done on the modelling

Did make a rather nice looking loaf though - finished baking just after midnight. All I can smell now is bread - yum

su122-057_2020-6-15.jpg
brass handrail added to rear of superstructure - kit one was broken any way

supports are from brass wire flattened with smooth nose pliers, wrapped around the rod and nipped up with the pliers

su122-058_2020-6-15.jpg
headlight added
su122-059_2020-6-15.jpg
horn hollowed out and added to the headlight bracket

su122-060_2020-6-15.jpg
the solid plastic kit tree saw holder replaced with a copper one - a 3mm strip was cut then folded up in an etch folder to make the U shape channel that it should be

No tree saw provided so may have a look at making one

su122-061_2020-6-15.jpg
filler caps added to the fuel tanks

su122-062_2020-6-15.jpg
track pin bashers added just in front of the final drive housing - loose track pins hit the steel block and get pushed back in to the track link

Presumably this only works for so long until the pins wear so loose they fall out before the track gets back around to the block

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Simon. Details look very nice and don’t beat yourself up I’ve had lots of those weekends

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Thanks Lee - really annoying, wait all week for the weekend then sleep through it :rolling:

Cheers Steve - getting there gradually. There was a lot more left to do than I originally thought

Thanks Greg

su122-063_2020-6-16.jpg
knocked together a tree saw and started cutting in some teeny tiny teeth until I remembered that once in the rack only a few teeth in the centre are visible

looks rubbish at this size but the teeth are only about quarter of a millimetre in reality so it doesn't look quite so bad on the vehicle

su122-066_2020-6-16.jpg
this is it in the rack

su122-064_2020-6-16.jpgsu122-064_2020-6-16.jpg
broke the kit shovel so added an Armour Accessories one instead
su122-065_2020-6-16.jpg
managed to get the fuel tank straps a bit straighter

when I made the racks I was struggling to find pictures of these earlier style racks - I have tons of T34/85 pictures but the racks on them are a totally different design

Typically I found some pictures of early racks last night on an SU-100 so have modified the racks slightly to allow the straps to move sideways - not perfect but I am much happier with them now

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
As always amazing scratch building. Really looking good. I reckon if you're sleeping through the weekend then you're working too hard during the week :tongue-out3:
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Could be Jim - I need to sleep more at work :thumb2:

Only progress has been to add a radio aerial, a vision port on the rear of the superstructure and fill two small holes - not worth a photo

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Steve - never even thought about that but yes, too small. Can’t easily use the printer as have had to dismantle my desktop setup to use works laptop

High Andy, good to see you. Thanks

First Name
Wouter
Hi Simon.

I always liked the crude looks of the Russian Su family, so glad to see one being built. Impressive scratchwork going on here!

Cheers

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Wouter - I do have a bit of a thing for T34 based vehicles. The stash is holding Miniart SU-122 and SU-85 and a Dragon SU-85m, Tamiya, Zvezda and Academy T34/85's, a T34/122 by Ryefield(?I think), Dragon T34/76, Zvezda and Italeri boxed SU-100, another Tamiya T34/76, SU-85, SU-122 all 35th, then Tamiya 1:25 SU-100, and 1:72 T34/85's by Dragon and Revell and 1:16 T34/85's by Trumpeter and Hobbyboss. Plenty to go at :rolling:

Back to this......

su122-067_2020-6-20.jpg
the last major part to add was this pair of rods. Have been unable to find a clear reference photo of them - vehicles are either taken from the other side or where they can be seen the pictures are too small and fuzzy

I have therefore made a guess that they are barrel cleaning rods......
su122-068_2020-6-20.jpg
su122-069_2020-6-20.jpg
....and replaced them with 1mm brass rod, textured with saw blade, Duro ends, pewter and plastic fixings

If anyone knows whether my assumption is correct or not please shout up as paint is not far away

Just four tie downs to add and the track links to assemble then it will be paint time

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I think they're fishing poles or maybe one of the crew was a pole vaulter before the war. You could always stick with barrel cleaning rods though, after all it's your model ;)
As always your scratching skills are quite incredible.
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
su122-072_2020-6-21.jpg
su122-070_2020-6-21.jpg
morning all - having trouble with my wifi so posting is a bit of a problem

Have had to create my own hotspot on the phone and tether it to the laptop to be able to write this

called the build done on Saturday

the hull was cleaned down with lighter fluid and cotton buds - there was a lot of sanding dust and general dust as it had been sat for a long time with no progress

the hull was then given a coat of Halfords white primer but the wheels are still to do

they need the axle holes drilling out a bit more as the fit is over tight

su122-071_2020-6-21.jpg
the Masterclub tracks are giving me some grief

normally I like their tracks and have used quite a few in the past but the pins on these are really annoying to use

I have lost at least ten to the carpet and only managed to add four track links in a few hours

the pin ends are not well defined - usually there is a nicely moulded end dome or whatever but on these they are just a slightly tapered rod without a proper end

if you get them in the wrong way around, which is easily done, then they jam part way into the hole

they will take a while to complete at the current rate

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Simon. Progress is looking good so far. I’ve been like you all weekend sitting in my recliner after my chores in the morning building models lol

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice update Mr T. I'm finding that with these click into place tracks, primeing them followed by a base coat and two coats of varnish makes them a lot easier to use during test fitting.