SimonT - 1/35 SU-122

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Wonderful work..really liked the tree saw. I once Scratch built one from the jagged edge of a plastic knife... then sanded the whole saw down so that it was nice and thin..teeth were hidden in the rack mostly but it gave the appearance of a tree saw.. keep up the fantastic work

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Greeting's Simon.
Looking going .
Cleaning poles yes .
As for those Masterclub tracks never again, I think their standard has slipped. Those last ones I had the pins just wouldn't fit. Friul from now on.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Steve - they are pin together not click type

Joe - good idea to remember for possible future use :thumb2: although I don't currently have any plastic knives. I do have some forks in the cupboard but don't think they will work as well:smiling3:

Morning John - I won't be getting any more of their T34 tracks. The Sturmtiger ones were fine but they have a different pin shape

Rather use Miniart T34 tracks as I can just stick them all together then to the wheels to make removable wheel/track combo - detail is good and they are half the price of Friul/Masterclub. Plastic is a bit soft as usual with Miniart

I may have a solution for these ones though - 0.5mm plastic rod
Push in then cut off. Done a couple of trial fits and it is much easier than their little pins as you have a long rod to hold on to so don't need to use tweezers

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
As I was about to start throwing paint around on Saturday I realised that I had missed an engine deck handle and the centre caps for both idler wheels

su122-079_2020-6-29.jpg
made up a pair of centre caps from plastic card and hex rod

used my new doming block to make the domed bearing caps - worked quite well

Sunday morning I gave the whole thing a coat of Ammo One`Shot black and followed it a few hours later with 4B0 and the light version from the modulation set

su122-073_2020-6-29.jpgsu122-074_2020-6-29.jpgsu122-075_2020-6-29.jpgsu122-076_2020-6-29.jpgsu122-077_2020-6-29.jpgsu122-078_2020-6-29.jpgsu122-080_2020-6-29.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Morning Simon
We have paint and it looks very nice. The variation looks to have worked.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Made me feel more like modelling having seen this :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:.
Nice work Simon

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Cheers Lee - you won't see much of it when done as I am going for the washable white again

Jim - only used one highlight this time

John - that's the magic of 4B0 :thumb2: :smiling5:

• Haha
Reactions: JR

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
2045BBC5-18B0-4B1F-82A3-28B545986847.jpeg
day off today
Spent two hours painting it white then scrubbing it off again
Leaving more white than the T34 - quite hard to do. Removing the washable white is quite addictive
Good fun

The numbers are Verlinden rub down
Bought recently but obviously a few years old they have dried out
Started off as 305 but the first five disintegrated and you only get two so scraped off the bits and used four instead. A few cracks but not total disintegration this time

Buying old rub down transfers is not a good idea it would seem

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Perhaps it could appear round the corner in my Panzer 111 dio, that would scare them Simon.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Cheers Paul

John :smiling5:

Fernando - well we shall see. I do like this washable paint though - gives reliable results. Does make the original paint look very faded though

Dave - daft thing is these days I could have just got the Miniart version out the stash and assembled it for a much better build. Not as much fun though. One of these days I may get to the Miniart and do an OOB

It has had a grey filter to tone down the white slightly and been varnished with Ammo Lucky Satin

Day off tomorrow, or rather later today as it is now early morning, so may get a little more done

First Name
Wouter
ah, a white wash, always jolly good fun doing that ey :D Looks good. Nice base for further winterizing!

Cheers

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Top notch Simon. looks nicely worn , like the scuff marks around the hatch.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I was a bit worried when I saw the first photo but reassured when I saw the second batch :smiling5: :smiling5::thumb2:

All heading in the right direction. Its a lot more fun when you dont know what you are doing:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::thumb2:

• Haha
Reactions: JR