SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Simon. Very nice and creative and recycling keep going

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Terrific inginuity to use all the kit parts avaiable to you. A true test of your craftsmanship

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
He certainly looks at home on his base. Nice to see the mitre join on the window frame

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Simon it that's come to my attention re the mitre joint on the window frame ! Say no more :surprised::nerd:
Do like the reaction you had with the cardboard and the CA, a sort of plastic sheet with texture .

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi John - the texture is green goop stippled on

Re the window frames - I’ve definitely seen frames with mitre corners

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi John - the texture is green goop stippled on

Re the window frames - I’ve definitely seen frames with mitre corners
Only picture frames Simon , as John says a window would be tenoned into the cill . Looking great now it’ll be good to see him in the paint, cheers tony

Reactions: JR

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
55537EE6-4A87-4594-8911-C8FDDC1456D0.jpeg
I can safely say I have never installed a window in my life so am probably wrong but in that case please explain what this is - I have always thought they were window frames. Have I got the wrong terminology?
All the window frames I’ve added to models over the years have been done with angled ends - think I got the idea originally from either Verlinden or Shep Paine books.

Would be nice to get it right next time

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The outer pieces which are mitred aren’t part of the window frame , these being architraves , planted on the outer face to cover the joint. Door frames are the same , have a look at the door frames in your house , the architrave on the outside is mitred but the actual frame is jointed at 90 degrees and in the case of windows ,usually double tenoned . A mitred joint has no strength plus is more likely to open up and give a big gap for water to get in so it’s never used for structural joints. Cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Simon, not wishing to be pedantic and go off from the build, but both 453 and Tony are spot on. I used to make the things.

If you look very closely top right of your picture you can see the main frame construction - Mortice and Tenon or possibly dowelled. Either way the frame would be a butt joint.

The only time you will see mitred corners on windows are on awful plastic ones.

Both Verlinden and Shep Paine could well have got it wrong, I'm afraid.

• Love
Reactions: JR

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Tony / Ron / John - right, thanks for that. Always good to learn something new :thumb2:

I shall have a look at modding the installed bits of sprue tonight - see if I can make it look like there is a frame behind that outer layer. I suspect removal is not an option as I CA’d in place and it will probably destroy the cardboard wall

Better get back to work now :smiling4:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
View attachment 380818
I can safely say I have never installed a window in my life so am probably wrong but in that case please explain what this is - I have always thought they were window frames. Have I got the wrong terminology?
All the window frames I’ve added to models over the years have been done with angled ends - think I got the idea originally from either Verlinden or Shep Paine books.

Would be nice to get it right next time

Simon that is called trim, mainly used to cover up the gap that occurs when the plaster shrinks around the frame after it dries out, that way to produce a neat join. Here in the UK its standard to fit the window in to the front of the opening, and today to fit a small cover strip, in the US they must be fitted deeper, hence the internal trim with that width as in your photo.

UPDATE. UPDATE.

Having been informed by another wood butcher with two eyes, the main window in your photo is in fact timber with mortised and tenon frame joints with mitred glazing beads, and outer trim, my mistake on the material being used.

Yours Grainly.:nerd::blow-kiss:
Ouch Splinter.

Last edited:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A`noon Simon,
Well,quite apart from Framegate,i think that`s looking terrific :thumb2:,
He looks very natural in the pose..... you`d never think he was an old Tamiya offering,i`m looking forward to see the paint begin:tongue-out2:!!
Cheers,
Andy

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I've never built a window, but set a lot of glass. Used to do rough carpentry & set doors w/my da before pre-hung. You can't argue w/woodworkers, it's their way or no way. PaulE

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
mg-056_2020-4-15.jpg
already modded it at lunchtime Ron - have chiselled part of my frame to make it look more like it has a frame behind the outer thing. That's as good as it gets - I will try and do better next time :smiling4:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
took a chisel to this one and made an attempt to carve in some creases and tidy the now solid green goop areas

then it went into the paint department for priming

mg-057_2020-4-19.jpg
one black building and base

mg-058_2020-4-19.jpg
mg-059_2020-4-19.jpg

mg-060_2020-4-19.jpg
mg-061_2020-4-19.jpg
all a little ragged around the edges but I will give painting a go

Last edited: