SimonT - 1/35 Tamiya Sdkfz.223

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
We certainly can Lee, it's just putting it into practice that I find hard !

Simon. As always outstanding work I’m liking the updates your doing. We all can learn by your examples
More exceedingly good cakes Mr Kippling modeling Mr T.:smiling3:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Jim - thanks

Rick, Paul, Andy, Scottie, Lee - thank you all

John - not too good with cakes but I do bake a pretty good loaf

A bit more progress.....

223-067_2020-8-3.jpg
223-069_2020-8-3.jpg
tweaked the Notek slightly and fitted it to the etch bracket

rear view mirror added to width indicator (how long before I knock them off I wonder)

223-070_2020-8-3.jpg
front jerrycans added along with the etch strap, which proved to be a bit of a nightmare

will try and tidy the excess CA - the unruly strap was going everywhere, except where I wanted it to, spreading the CA about

223-072_2020-8-3.jpg
for the front right wing I created a jerrycan rack from bits of brass strip cut from the etch fret with the number squares cut off

this is based on one of the reference photos

223-068_2020-8-3.jpg
223-071_2020-8-3.jpg
mudguards added front and rear

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Simon,this just gets better with each update. That mudflap, raised lines done with biro type tool ?

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning John - no, etched like that. Doubt it would have been so neat if I'd had to emboss it myself

• Sad
Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's shatered my impression,thought you had made that ! Cheat :smiling3::smiling3::smiling3:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
:sad-face: sorry, I did say it wasn't very amazing

• Haha

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very well done with the PE and other details. This armoured car will be very impressive when complete.
Quality work
Cheers
Paul

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looking good Mr T. That strap :confounded: How come occasionally pieces of etch refused to behave. You can stick half a dozen pieces neatly first time and then number half dozen and one doesn't stick, sticks crookedly or sticks to your fingers or the tweezers. Ten minutes spent scraping the dried CA from the model and the etch and you take a deep breathe and try again. More often than not it just goes wrong again! I feel almost certain that it is the Etch Gremlin - a close relative of the Carpet Monster.
It's reassuring though to know that even someone of your experience has the same problems as us lesser mortals :smiling:
Nice touch to slightly bend the mud flap.
Jim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening Mr T,
You have me drooling . Excellent moggeling sir

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
cheers Neil

thanks Paul, lets hope it turns out ok in the end

Jim - in no way am I exempt from the normal problems :smiling5: If a part refuses to stick first time with CA then no amount of additional CA will fix the problem - strip off and clean down (the part, not me) is normally the only way to fix the problem
Glad you like the mudflap - bit of a confession with that, the bend happened when I set the model down between adding bits
I will be distressing the other ones intentionally

Dave / Paul - your wish is my command
223-073_2020-8-4.jpg
may be a while before it is attached to the vehicle though as there are still some bits to sort out on the gun mount, rear lights, Notek cage, crew stowage and the small matter of some crew figures (a set of Hornet Afrika Korps heads are on the way)

Si - stop drooling please everything will be getting soggy :smiling5:

Very small update.....

added the rear lights, left and right, as per the Eduard instructions - silly me

when I checked something in the references it was obvious that the Eduard instructions did not match photos, especially left side so it was stripped off again

The actual light units are ok - they have you make the light housings from plastic card and then add the etch front plates
It is actually easier to just CA the front plates to the plastic card and then cut it out using the etch as a guide

The left light should have a bar/tube frame arrangement with an anti skid plate step on top

So after a bit if a rebuild I got.......

223-075_2020-8-4.jpg
...this

unfortunately the photographer made a muck of it again so it is all rather fuzzy

it is armature wire hoops with some etch mesh CA'd to copper sheet to form the step

223-074_2020-8-4.jpg
this is the right side - may be ok but definitely needs a protective cage making. I will check this further tomorrow

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Wasn’t happy with the rear left light so stripped it off and started again

223-079_2020-8-5.jpg
not perfect but much better second time around

223-077_2020-8-5.jpg

223-076_2020-8-5.jpg
the odd cages added around the rear light and the front Notek driving light

armature wire CA'd in place - need a little tidying before paint

223-078_2020-8-5.jpg
I think it just needs the mg mount finishing off now and then the actual vehicle will be completed

223-080_2020-8-5.jpg
have made a start on the armatures for the crew - they could very easily turn into bin fodder. Been a while since I attempted figure sculpting and it is not easy

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Somebody unlocked the restraining straps on Simon. :smiling5::tears-of-joy: and very nicely done. Wouldn't be the same without the extra details. :thumb2:
It'll paint and weather well with so much nooks and crannies to give paint attention.

Cheers,
Richard

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Cheers Richard

Neil - not so sure myself

223-084_2020-8-8.jpg
223-083_2020-8-8.jpg
I managed to find my manikin mould that I made a few years back so cast off three sets

unfortunately the mould split after the last one and I have no idea what I did with the master - looks like I will be making another at some point :rolling:

223-081_2020-8-8.jpg
first one roughly assembled, nothing glued yet

spine wire runs right through from lower torso to head

the upper torso is designed with a hole in to take a Hornet head - have made 1:9 and 1:6 heads and attempted 1:72 and 1:35 but I am not very good at it. Hornet are a much easier option

223-082_2020-8-8.jpg
there is a pair of hand/wrist stumps ready to go on the arms and his knees have been crimped with round pliers so the legs bend in the right place

2nd figure parts cleaned up waiting for drilling and assembly bottom right

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Ah Simon, the poor fellas freezing his b....s off and will need some clothes soon :smiling6:
Its a good idea having these made and duplicated for later figure sculpting.
Yup Hornets still the best heads around...gotta get me some more.

Cheers,
Richard.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
It's ok Richard, he will be in the desert so might be glad off the fresh air around the nether regions :smiling5:

Hornet heads are great but not cheap - costs soon spiral out of control if you want a few different sets