SimonT - 1/35 Zvezda Stug.IIIB - Bobs StugGB

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Lovely work as always Simon, coming on a treat!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Simon.
When you said "dunked " I read drank !
Mind these days nothing would surprise me.
When I last did treatment like that I managed to do several sets of Friuls in the mixture.
Washed then off later and put then back into their packets.
Don't know what the liquid is but regardless of who's selling it all looks that blue .

Last edited:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Thanks Bob - getting there

John - no, don't think drinking it would be a good idea. I have re-used my solution to do the remaining links

Ta Steve - as they dry out they turn a much paler brown colour, more like the various track primer paints

stugb-117_2020-4-28.jpgstugb-118_2020-4-28.jpg
assembled four links last night - took me half an hour!

At that rate it will take me around twelve hours to assemble enough links for one side :surprised:

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Nice looking tracks, they will keep you occupied for a bit Simon!

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Paul - yes they are very nicely cast. Should look nice if I can do a good job with the snow potions

Thanks Scottie - not totally convinced by track fluid as they will need painting anyway since the pins are resin and the brown is a bit uniform but since I already have it I suppose it makes a reasonable starting point

Hi Graeme - certainly will. I am hoping that I can get up a bit of a rhythm at the next sitting and speed things up a bit

Removed the second set of links from the solution but obviously two uses was pushing the chemicals too far as the links were still half silver. Topped up the solution with some of the good stuff and there was an almost instantaneous browning of the liquid so it looks like they will come out better in the morning

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Simon, I thought the last Stug was an old Tamiya IV. Apologies, I know I'm very late to this one since I lost track of the previous one and was side tracked with hosting my Sister from Sydney when you started this...so I've just read the IV got binned. This kit doesn't look like one that needed cutting up but it looks like you've adorned it with full accessories looking like B A Baracus Mr T.

Very nicely done indeed, forget the GB deadline and finish it...I'd like to see all that hard work go to paint. I haven't ventured into metal tracks fearing the time it takes to assemble them and I'm not the kind for monotenous repetitiveness...I just repeated that didn't I. :tears-of-joy: Having said that your tracks are looking good just out of the solution...it will look even better with more paint.

From here on I can safely take my sunglasses off as you would be priming soon. On the subject of nocturnal...you do forage for food and clean up the nest besides sleeping right? :smiling2:
Look forwards to the next set of links blackening.

Cheers,
Richard

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Richard,

the StugIV was a few years ago now - dropped something heavy on it. Still have it and may resurrect it and repaint at some point - current paint job is not very good

I doubt this will be finished for the deadline, as usual

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Those tracks are certainly testing you. That blackening stuff looks evil. God knows how it works but the results look fine. Is it better than simply painting do you think?
Jim

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That fluid is great Jim, I just added a little rust here and there.

Sorry for butting in Simon .

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Jim - I think because it coats the links on all surfaces it is probably a better base than painting each link. Certainly easier as well, just dunk and leave. The resulting tracks will still need painting though as pins are resin and overall they will need a more random rust finish

Hi John - I agree, they need a bit of rust to stop them being too uniform

Having wrestled with a couple more links I figured out why I am having so much trouble assembling them - one set of pins is thicker than the other and therefore don’t fit as they should.

I have now drilled one side of each link to take the larger pins so assembly may speed up a bit