SimonT - 1/72 M966 Hummer w/TOW

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
m966-001_2019-4-10.jpg
Morning all,
this is what I picked up for less than a fiver at Cosford - a whole £4 got me a slightly battered box by a Polish maker I have not come across before

m966-002_2019-4-10.JPG
looks like it has been hanging around for a while

m966-003_2019-4-10.jpg
m966-005_2019-4-10.jpg
m966-006_2019-4-10.jpg
m966-007_2019-4-10.jpg
m966-009_2019-4-10.jpg
m966-010_2019-4-10.jpg
plenty of sprues - typical of low volume manufacturers (similar to an ACE kit) with flash, badly defined detail, flared edges and overly thick transparencies

m966-004_2019-4-10.jpg
m966-008_2019-4-10.jpg
the instruction sheet booklet actually doesn't look too bad

Having made a start on cleaning up some parts last night I suspect nothing will fit together without a fight

The wheels look a bit skinny

I shall continue cleaning parts up and then see what, if anything, can be done with the resulting pile of plastic bits

I do have a Tamiya 1/35 Hummer, a Haynes manual and a Verlinden detail book for reference to try and determine what the more misshapen lumps are meant to be

So it remains to be seen whether I can turn it into anything vaguely representing a Hummer - it could just get abandoned if it proves to be too useless......

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looks to be a real challenge Simon. PaulE

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Another <£5.00 bargain. Looks interesting, and anyway, thick transparencies, I bet mine are thicker than yours !

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Simon, I know you like a challenge but that looks a whole new battle.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Why do I get the feeling this will turn into a MrT epic!
Bolts and rivets...present and correct! Break out the squadron green and prepare the pewter:cool:
Maybe some cast tyres?:thinking:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning all,

Ian - not so sure about that, it really is quite bad

Jim - normally but the parts fit is shockingly bad on this thing

Paul - certainly is

Colin - interesting is one word for it, big pile of **** would be more accurate. The windows will probably get binned, more than likely closely followed by the rest of it

Pete - does look a bit like it doesn't it. Don't think so though as it was all sealed up in a bag. I think it may just be where the main feeds came in from the injection machine - the other sprues have a similar thing on the edge that is indented

Scottie - it may prove to be a battle too far this time, we shall see

Si - it may just need total replacement with a scratchbuilt version, not just the tyres :smiling5:

Cleaned up a few more parts last night including the cab sides, one of which just fell apart

D

Deleted member 4539

That looks an awful kit.
Watching to see what you do with it.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Simon, if anyone can pull this one out of the bin it would be you. Hoping to see more progress soon. Rick H.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Ralph - that describes it pretty well

Rick - it would have been a good kit if they had better equipment. It will be a real tug of war with the bin....

I have cleaned up the major parts so made a start on the suspension

The spring units looked like they would benefit from some wire springs so I carefully sliced off the moulded springs to just leave the central part which I then sanded round to represent the damper

Just finishing off the last one when disaster struck - the carpet monster ate one of the units

I was sat on the floor. Dropped the part 2" into the box lid - not a problem I thought but when I looked in the lid there was no sign of it

Must have bounced out the lid - still not a problem I thought as I am sat on the floor so it can't have gone far

Half an hour of crawling around with my nose on the carpet failed to locate it :disappointed2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Been there done that...so discouraging when no success. Cheer up, it's only wire & plastic. :rolling: Rick H.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
I presume you checked folds in your clothes etc :rolling: Scratch a new part and as soon as you have finished it the Carpet Monster will return the original.
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Rick - I've also had this happen many times over the years. It is just so annoying that parts can vanish like that especially when I was just finishing up the last of four :smiling2:

Hi Jim - oh yes, patted myself down a couple of times, checked in shoes, pockets etc. Carpet is short pile as well so it can't have got into that. You are probably right - once I have scratched a replacement it will turn up. Had that happen before.....

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Simon and you told me to keep away from these Eastern block multi owned tools productions !
In my case an acceptable idea, but as Jim has said " Right up your street " in your case .
Pweter, brass and moulding kit ready then .:hungry: .
John .

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning John - :smiling5: yes, I should have taken my own advice!
If it had been moulded by one of the big manufacturers then I reckon it could have been good but as it is, it isn’t

Having checked the suspension against references and the 35th Tamiya kit it looks like they were over simplified anyway so I will now try to scratch a full set of four replacements

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
I don't think the Carpet Monster has your part. I think you binned it so that you had an excuse to revert to form and get scratching.
Jim

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
That looks on a par with the toys you used to get free in cereal boxes :smiling: I'm sure the final result won't reflect that.

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I bet the cauldron is bubbling away, with bats ears and other such things as the Lord of the Dark side makes up a concoction of new parts . Mark my words as darkness falls things are about !