SimonT - 1/72 M966 Hummer w/TOW

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice one Simon, indeed it looks like an ACE kit.
Enough things for you to improve or replace me thinks.:smiling:

Sorry to read that one of the spring units got lost, good luck making the new versions and hope none of those get eaten by the carpet monster.:thumb2:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Jim - I think the carpet monster did me a favour as the original kit parts turned out to be a bit over simplified

Mick - I think cereal box toys were better

John - eye of newt and bats ears and frogs dangly bits have all been mixed into the mould. See below for the result....

Fernando - Hi and thanks. So far not lost any of the new items :thumb2: Think it may actually be slightly worse than ACE

m966-015_2019-4-15.jpg
these were the original units one of which was in the process of having the spring part filed off

Only four coils to the spring so they needed to go

m966-012_2019-4-15.jpg
m966-014_2019-4-15.jpg
well, it took all day, which seems a long time for such a small result, but I now have four new suspension top mounts and a set of springs

original modified kit part shown for comparison

Each mount comprises eight parts and are 2.5mm x 3mm

m966-013_2019-4-15.jpg
also added some swing arm bolts to the lower suspension sub frames

m966-011_2019-4-15.jpg
and to the upper arms on the chassis

It will be amazing if this turns out looking anything like a Hummer

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Amazing. It will turn out a damn sight more like a Hummer than it was before.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
See I was right, see photo 3 , 4 and 5 eye of newt !
Great work Simon, can't believe really that scale is do-able like that.:flushed::thumb2:
John.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Jim - maybe but still not totally sure. Now wish I'd got the bagged 35th one from that stall selling kits with parts missing - might have been better

John - ta. Not perfect but at least better than the ones provided

Made a start on assembly earlier - tricky as there are no location points for any of the parts

m966-016_2019-4-16.jpg
drive hubs, diffs and driveshafts installed and the lower suspension sub frames

Everything glued then measured and adjusted in an attempt to get things symmetrical

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
I have no doubt that it will all be nice and square and the body will fit fine :thumb2:
Jim

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Very nice. Again? this is his way of life Neil

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Missed another masterclass in scratchery. My apologies. Its been a pleasure to read how this has come together. Nice work on the springs

• Sad

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That does look a bit rough. I think I can see inboard disc brakes, not that the manufacturer has made much of an effort to mould them.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Jim - nothing is nice and square with this one!

Neil / Lee - :thumb2:

Steve - hi, enjoy your golf? Ta

Colin - you must have a good imagination. Don't look much like disk brakes. Luckily they will be hidden out of the way

m966-017_2019-4-17.jpg
m966-018_2019-4-17.jpg
the instructions would have you stick the chassis to the floor pan but I decided to leave that for now as there is nothing to line it up with

Instead I made a start on the body tub - what a mess!

I attempted a dry fit but nothing fitted so I sliced off the mounting bars from the rear of the side panels and sanded them as flat as possible

The rear panel was stuck to the floor pan to give a starting point and then the side panels were placed and glued

Everything was then jiggled and measured in order to get the best fit, which isn't great as you can see from the photos

The left and right sides are not moulded symmetrically so I set them so that the front edges overhang the same distance into the engine bay in the hope that the bonnet (hood) will fit up to them

The left side touched the back panel but the right side left a gap as can be seen - the overhang in front of the rear arches is half a mm different between left and right

It is all a bit rubbish folks

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Yes thankyou Mr T. Looks like you have your hands full with this one. I expect it will turn into a scratch build pretty soon. Keep up the great work

• Haha

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
:smiling5:

Added the front inner wings, radiator and windscreen last night

No actual mounting points so it was just a matter of test fitting and fettling each part until it sort of fitted

m966-019_2019-4-18.jpg
the sloping panels on each side below the windscreen are supposed to be closing panels - they are fastened to the inner wings

As you can see there is some vagueness in their fit - the holes can easily be filled in though once it is all set

I measured everything once in place and adjusted as necessary in an attempt to get things symmetrical as possible for the distance from outside body to inner wings

The only reference for the inner wing spacing is the radiator which sits on top

The bonnet and roof were test fitted numerous times to try and get the best fit possible with the windscreen

m966-020_2019-4-18.jpg
the whole thing with a test fit of the bonnet and roof

The roof does not fit over the windscreen properly so will need further adjustment

The bonnet needs the louvres cleaning out as they are only partially open - the flash is quite solid so it will need some care not to wreck the louvres

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Everything seems rather abrupt with this model. Your massagery seems to be working though, as things are starting to fall?? together.lol:tongue-out3: I defer to your superior skill at bringing such a malignant piece of tripe into submission. Cheers, Rick H.

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Did you sleep before going to work or just go straight from the bench?? :smiling5::smiling3:

It really is a shocking kit but you are making wonderful changes to it. Keep at it sir.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Rick - :thumb2:

Steve - my sleep patterns are all over the place again. Currently 4 in the morning - good job no work today!

m966-021_2019-4-19.jpg
cleaned up the louvres in the bonnet last night and scraped to thin them down a bit

m966-022_2019-4-19.jpg
m966-023_2019-4-19.jpg
m966-024_2019-4-19.jpg
filled the gaps

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Well done getting those louvres cleaned out. I thought you would have ended up replacing them.
"Filled the gaps"
I have a feeling you will be doing a lot of that.
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Jim - luckily some patient work with a new blade managed to get through

Spent my waking hours (sadly too few) yesterday working on the bonnet (hood) as it was rather simplified and badly moulded

m966-032_2019-4-20.jpg
the radiator louvre had a very wishy washy frame that was almost non existent so a quick wipe with an emery board removed it

Replaced with micro strip then sanded to thin it down a little

The front edges and wheel arches should have had flared edges but what there was was poorly moulded so off it came

m966-028_2019-4-20.jpg
m966-025_2019-4-20.jpg
the front part was added from square micro strip and the arch edging from lead wire

It was blended together with filler then sanded back and smoothed with liquid cement - the late blow up photos show it could do with a little more work

I also added the missing side indicators and reflectors

m966-030_2019-4-20.jpg
the back left corner had the cut out section removed as per references

m966-027_2019-4-20.jpg
the rear right corner needed a little more work - this is where the air intake pokes through from the engine bay

The recess was deepened and the corner was cut away again as per references

All this took a lot longer to do than tell

m966-031_2019-4-20.jpg
the bonnet landing panels were fettled to match the bonnet until a good fit was obtained

m966-026_2019-4-20.jpg
m966-029_2019-4-20.jpg
starting to look a bit more Hummer like now even if it is devoid of a lot of details

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well before this most people would have binned it, not you Simon, you just knuckle down and produce something that the manufacturer only dreamed of. :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2: