Slowly knocking this dog into shape:thumb2:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
John - that's modelling in my book :smiling4:

Si / Neil - thanks both

Spent all morning at the garage as it was service / mot time again but managed to get a bit more done this afternoon

m966-037_2019-4-20.jpg
opened out the slots in the front grille, removed the headlights (as I have a plan for them) and CA'd some mesh behind the grille

Modified the bottom corners so that they are angled as per references and then stuck the grille to the bonnet

The bonnet was then glued in place on the front of the vehicle

m966-034_2019-4-20.jpg
added a filler cap in the body recess - 0.8mm punched disk

m966-035_2019-4-20.jpg
I did another test fit on the chassis with the wheel added and found that the wheels are too far back in the arches

m966-033_2019-4-20.jpg
chopped the chassis rails

Modified the profile of the rear section chassis rails which allowed them to slide forward slightly

Added 2mm spacers between the two halves of the chassis and stuck back together - plated over the underside of each rail with a length of micro strip to reinforce the joins

m966-036_2019-4-20.jpg
wheels now better spaced

Also added some bonnet clips from cut down Historex belt buckles - just above and rear of front wheel

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
And the "Magic" continues. She's starting to look the part now. :thumb2:
Cheers, Rick H.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
It is looking like it is supposed to after all the work. As always impressive stuff.
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning Jim and thanks - starting to get there

The wheels and tyres are rather poor - may have to try scratching a new set. Wheel diameter is too big by about 1-1.5mm at scale which is 72-108mm full size. The tyres may be oversize as well

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Well, I spent pretty much all bank holiday Monday trying to make a wheel and tyre for this thing - not the best results

m966-042_2019-4-23.jpg
I did manage to add the lifting hoops that poke through the bonnet

m966-045_2019-4-23.jpg
and the coils to the chassis and chassis to body tub

m966-039_2019-4-23.jpg
and some cushions to the bare seats

m966-043_2019-4-23.jpg
after a few failed attempts I finally managed to build this new wheel into the end of some aluminium tubing of the correct diameter

This was the best I could do - not the greatest but all other attempts were really bad

m966-041_2019-4-23.jpg
this was the starting point for the tyre - a couple of sections of tubing glued together

That was the easy bit - I then spent ages shaping it and trying to come up with some way of adding the tread blocks

Added little diamonds of micro strip but trying to get them consistent and looking good was impossible

Just couldn't get them looking convincing so decided to pinch the best of the tread sections from the kit wheels

m966-044_2019-4-23.jpg
sanded their width and then pared them down so that they would fit over the new tyre section I had constructed

m966-040_2019-4-23.jpg
covered the result in filler

m966-038_2019-4-23.jpg
and with the new wheel in place

Unfortunately now everything is sanded back they just look rubbish as the treads were never properly defined on the kit - tried cutting them in but that failed so back to the drawing board

This has ground to a halt unless I can come up with a better method

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
I know it goes against the grain but are aftermarket wheels available? All credit to you for the efforts so far.
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
There are some, rather expensive I feel, after market wheels available Jim

I may have another attempt at the weekend

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
I am probably thinking rubbish 'cause I couldn't dream of scratching at your level but could you imprint the tread into a strip of Milliput or similar and then wrap it round the wheel. I imagine cutting tread onto a circle is very difficult. The tread pattern is a repeat so maybe it could be done rather like a tool can be used to imprint brickwork.
Anyway just a thought :rolling:
I'm sure you will sort it.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Its a shame the wheels are causing you a problem. The rest of the build has been outstanding. Do you have a lathe that you could make wooden wheels with??

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Simon,
Looking excellent mate. I admire your tenacity when it comes to turning a pigs ear in to a silk purse.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Jim - I had already tried putting a roll of Duro around the edge and cutting in the pattern but it didn't end well. I suspect that trying to imprint it in to a flat version would be almost impossible to get the length correct. It would need to correspond exactly to the circumference at the point of mounting. Any variation in thickness of the putty caused by pulling it about ever so slightly would change the length and hence the resulting circumference once formed into a circle

Steve - just stick some cart wheels on it?? :smiling: I do have a small Unimat metalline lathe (but no bench to mount it on) and could in theory turn a tyre shape in aluminium or brass but it isn't the round bit causing the problem, it's the thirty tread blocks spaced at 12deg apart

Ian - ta

Scottie - stupidity not tenacity :tongue-out3:

Pulled the crappy tread off the tyre that was in the previous post so now back to my plastic blank

I've previously made tyres in 35th and 15th but the increased size of those scales helped considerably

Cutting the small scale tread blocks consistently is the main problem so.......

m966-046_2019-4-28.jpg
....... I knocked up a tread block cutting jig for my next attempt

m966-047_2019-4-28.jpg
the square rod pushes through the guides into the recess on the left

knife blade then pushes into the slot as shown to make the cut

whether this will work remains to be seen - have to wait for the glue to dry

the idea is sound but the slight flexibility of plastic could easily result in uneven cuts

it would have been better made in metal with nice sliding guides and adjustable cutting angles etc but I do not have the materials or facilities for doing that

watch this space for the next exciting instalment.........

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Nice scratch as always Simon your beating this thing into submission

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Morning Simon
A well thought out plan. Fingers crossed that the jig will work.
Jim