Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Thanks Ian - hope to get a few more done today if the press holds up

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The tracks look very good can you put the ones with less definition along the bottom run and keep the better ones for the top?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
The track link press looks to have worked well. The results look good enough to only need a bit of mud
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Scottie - didn't have enough really good ones so had to just be a mixture

Jim - thanks. They don't look too bad and the mud will help

Top....
mk1-037_2018-10-6.jpg
Bottom...
mk1-038_2018-10-6.jpg
decided not to do complete run on right side as that will be bogged down

First Name
Wouter
Hi Simon. That's some impressive work here mate. And those homemade tracklinks...godsmacking...Keep it up chap!

Cheers

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Love those tracklinks Simon!
Looking good ;)
Steven

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
True dedication to the art of scratch building. Very impressive Master Yoda. Coming along very nicely indeed. Permission to carry on:smiling5:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Steven and Steve - thanks both

Finally got some time to start on the base for this one

Wilko picture frame, glass removed and the fittings prised off the hardboard backing
mk1-040_2018-10-15.jpg
made a 40mm high box from 5mm styrofoam and then filled in the middle with polystyrene blocks (packing material from something kept as they looked useful) suitably nibbled to provide a cratered surface

I then started to cover it with celluclay, Gorilla wood glue and brown pigment mixture

mk1-039_2018-10-15.jpg
mmmm, chocolate sprinkles....

mk1-041_2018-10-15.jpeg
I gave up adding pigment as it was using rather a lot so went back to the natural Ready Brek look - need to find some cheap brown poster paint for future

Needs a little more work to build up the edges of the craters then it will be left to dry out, which will take some time
I suspect that it will probably crack as it dries - it has done that on the last two bases

Following any remedial works it will be blathered in Gorilla wood glue and sprinkled with soil

Thanks for looking in

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Looking good Simon, I once also tried to color my plaster-mixture, but it takes a huge load of pigments indeed... So I prefer to paint it afterwards.

Looking foreward to your base,
Kind regards,
Steven

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning Steven and thanks,

I was only colouring it to prevent the dreaded white bits showing through if some of the later soil work pings off while dry brushing or paint fails to get into all the nooks and crannies - a tip I picked up somewhere years ago
It was not intended as a replacement for a top coat of paint - I shall just have to be more careful now

I had a look around last night and found a 2.5kg tub of brown powder paint for around £7 delivered which should do the job nicely - much cheaper than using model pigments

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hi Simon,
Yes indeed, I also intended to color it for that reason. Specially for driling holes in the plaster to mount trees etc.
Goodluck ;)

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Simon, the tracks are excellent, worth the full days work on them. Moon Base Alpha also good to go for Eagle One landing...give my regards to Commander Koenig. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Cheers Richard- does look a bit Moonbase at the moment
Hopefully when it gets plastered in mud it will be less so

Does remind me though that I think I have an MPC Eagle up in the stash somewhere......

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Base is looking excellent. I have used those Match Pots - those little sample pots of decorators emulsion - to colour base materials. Trouble is they only do the lighter colours and diluted in the plaster or whatever it is creamy rather than brown. Your powder paint idea sounds much better.
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Thanks Jim - guess there aren't many people who want a burnt umber living room :smiling:

This is the stuff I found on Amazon Powder Paint - probably the same pigment that gets sold to us for modelling at twice the price for a small bottle! Think I shall get some to try

mk1-042_2018-10-16.jpg
made up a couple of lengths of 1/72 duckboard - the IWM kindly posted details of a preserved board with dimensions
27 x 6.5mm @ 1/72

I have the strip cut ready for a few more but I didn't have time to assemble them

Going to have to concentrate on this build for a while as the deadline is fast approaching

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My word Simon , those tracks look the part. Nothing beats the Pewter !

As you say the mud will cover any impefections, not that any appeared in your photos, they all looked fine.

I stopped buying Kursk mud from AK, and went on to cheap acrylics. Mixed with basic Wiko wall filler and some pva. Not had any problem yet, buy always build it up in thin layers, but do think the pva is a must.
John.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Cheers John

The good thing with the Celluclay is that it is relatively light compared to the same area of wall filler as it is like papier-mâché
Does look rather grey like Ready Brek though in its basic state
I have ordered a tub of brown poster paint to try for the colouring

mk1-043_2018-10-18.jpg
now have four lengths of duckboard completed

Need to try and make some tiny barbed wire as well

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Simon, you need to recruit some 1/72 helpers to finish the groundwork in time. The duckboard is crazy...

My word Simon , those tracks look the part. Nothing beats the Pewter !

As you say the mud will cover any impefections, not that any appeared in your photos, they all looked fine.

I stopped buying Kursk mud from AK, and went on to cheap acrylics. Mixed with basic Wiko wall filler and some pva. Not had any problem yet, buy always build it up in thin layers, but do think the pva is a must.
John.

John, the new stuff is for fresh modellers who have not gone through the process of experimentation like we have. I have purchased some for quick fixes but it's nothing like making our own. It's also good for those living in the city with no excess to dirt and what nots. I can remember my mum giving me an earfull for bringing dirt onto the kitchen table and messing the place up. I've tried everything glues, paints, fabriques you name it but there is always something new that will come up in the forum and I'll say why didn't I think of that. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard