SimonT - 1/72 PST ZIS-5-BZ Fuel Truck

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thank you. The wife & I have taken to binging on UK TV series (Shetland & Vera are her faves). We love the locations & dialog. The Scots are our favorites as the burr is lyrical to our ears, but some of the "informal" words leave us guessing using the context as a guide. PaulE

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Simon, these things are sent to try us! I'm sure you will get it sorted.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Paul - I like Shetland and Vera as well. The crane - having gone back to examine it, luckily it had only bent and is not broken. It should make a full recovery.

Graeme - all back on track again after the re-paint

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Still a way to go Mr T but there is lots of potential to add colour and detail.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Steve - I do the basic paint then the filter and basic wash then any kind of painting skill just fades away so don't expect too much more from this :smiling5:

I have had an attempt to tinker with it

zis5-035_2020-5-14.jpg
zis5-036_2020-5-14.jpg
zis5-037_2020-5-14.jpg

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Simon only just copped this one great stuff love the hose, paint came good in the end I used to seal up with that floor polish stuff before wash filter and weathering but now have gone back to working straight over the matt spray job. The odourless thinners is quite gentle I ran out so being a tight wad bought a big bottle of reduced odour white spirit(that's what it says on the bottle) for just over a quid seems ok ,don't know what the difference is but I think the mig ammo one is classed as mineral spirit?.I know a lot of the kits from that part of the world often leave a lot to be desired but as for choice your always spoilt unlike the larger scales struth who needs another PZ what ever (it's the same as that one but with the 1943 wheel nuts) still one mans poison is another mans badly fitting parts looking forward to the conclusion Dave. Please some of you guys don't take a this as a slite just a little bit of humour in these terrible times.

Last edited:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
still tinkering with this every now and then

Thanks David - yes, second time around it is going ok. Gone back to sealing layers with AK ultra matt - don't seem to have any problems with that
The eastern European kits seem to be engineered specifically to not fit together very well but as you say there is a huge range of obscure subjects. A little bit of actual modelling rather than just assembling gets them together

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
This one has been the victim of a terrible explosion

Carrying out a test fit of the cab and it appears the paint on all the parts has taken up any slack between pieces

The result was that the cab stuck solid part way on

Had to pull a bit harder than I liked and of course it all suddenly let go - everything flew out of my fingers and off to infinity and beyond

Luckily it doesn't appear to have hit anything solid on re-entry so on initial inspection damage appears limited to the bench seat being ripped off the floor pan and both headlights

Going to need a bit of fettling in the body shop and touch up in the paint shop

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Simon,
I had completely missed this up till now. You certainly had your tribulations with this.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Since the illustrious Mr. T did not get to post this up as a finished model, and being as how I have just pulled a pair of Zis 5s out of the stash, I thought it would be a fitting tribute to Simon if I were to build one in his honor. I do not have a tanker version so there will be much scratchery........right up your street Mr. T! Look for the thread later today. Rick H.