SimonT - 4x4 1/24 Esci Range Rover

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Cheers Rick

Thanks Fernando - Round 2, pigments coming up so read on........

rov-162_2018-12-27.jpg
jack got a bit more paint - silver bolts, lifting plate and wheels scuffed and lightly rusted, warning notice added

rov-163_2018-12-27.jpg
welder detailed - sorry for the fuzzy pic it looked ok on phone!

Pity I can't paint text very well - will have to hide it with the wires

rov-164_2018-12-27.jpg
angle grinder painted as well

rov-159_2018-12-27.jpg
rov-161_2018-12-27.jpg
rov-157_2018-12-27.jpg
rov-158_2018-12-27.jpg
added to the general crustiness with some pigments

it looked a bit bright when I'd finished so then added some thinned camo black brown in random places to vary the tones a bit

unfortunately I caught the front grille as well so that will now need tidying up as they are plastic

Have I overdone it? Possibly - I got a bit carried away, I was enjoying myself :rolling:

rov-160_2018-12-27.jpg
lastly the wheels were painted in steel and then given the pigment treatment as well

once this dries I need to paint in the wheel nuts blac, pick out the valve and the balance weights

fast running out of time before the GB end but at least I have progressed as little

Thanks for looking in

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Good progress as always. Looks like this will be coming together soon.
Cheers Rick H.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Thanks Rick - nearly there now

Just done a test fit of the main components on the base

48E1B00A-1AA5-400A-8E66-372107075D1D.jpeg

I have decided to leave the windscreen out as the fit is rubbish - never thought to test fit it at build stage as I expected it to be suitable for the hole in the body. Wrong! Ho hum.

Front and rear lights still to sort and one or two smaller details but nearly there

Broke one of the feet off the welder removing it from the sprue handle so that needs rectifying so it sits level

Next post will probably be completion unless anyone can think of anything else or spot any glaring errors that could still be corrected......

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Fantastic bit of work. even the test fit is remarkable. Windshields...who needs 'em.
Cheers, Rick H.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
SIP welder, Bosch angle grinder... Have you been in my garage?

Pete

Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Mr T. Far be it for me to interfere in one of you masterpieces but would the windscreen look okay laid on top of the bonnet half in half out of the cab with the rubber seals hanging out??

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
This is impressive even by your standards of mogglin' detail.
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Thanks Rick

Pete - sounds like we have similar items of 1:1 workshop equipment :smiling:

Steve - great suggestion. I was just going to pile it against the wall but have now wrapped it up and plonked it on the bonnet

Jim - thanks, getting there now

Paul - thank you

I know I said the next post would be completion but that hasn't quite happened yet

rov-166_2018-12-29.jpg
thanks our host John turning round my Scale Model Shop paint order mega quickly the clear Tamiya paints arrived yesterday afternoon so I could paint the light lenses

the funny looking white blob down the front is a chunk of rag to sit on the shelf on the back wall - made from a dollop of leftover Duro putty with VJ sandy paste for texture

rov-170_2018-12-29.jpg
said shelf attached to rear wall. The white mess at the right side is where the Duro pulled the paint off the foam wall :sad-face:

Rear bumper and rear wash wipe reservoir also attached to base

Socket and consumer unit have been installed at the left

rov-167_2018-12-29.jpg
based around Steves suggestion I stuck the windows together then wrapped them in a Duro blanket

after a couple of hours I carefully prised the whole lot away from the car and washed the vaseline off with zippo lighter fluid

it was then stippled with VJ sandy paste for texture and painted dark green - paint still wet in pic

rov-168_2018-12-29.jpg
rov-169_2018-12-29.jpg
wheels got the nuts and valves painted black and the balance weights I added to the rims were picked out in grey

tyres were treated to some pigment and thinners

I swapped wheels around between axles until I got all four tyres sitting on the deck and then CA'd them in place

rov-171_2018-12-29.jpg
old tin of paint for the shelf - just needs handle refitting

rov-172_2018-12-29.jpg
every workshop should have an old biscuit tin for storing odds and ends - I know the painting is a bit pants (pity I didn't inherit my Grandmas painting gene - she was a proper water colour artist) but it will hardly be seen on the shelf

Definitely getting nearer to completion now.......

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
The paint pot and biscuit tin are inspired additions.

Looking forward to seeing all the jam jars filled with screws, nuts and bolts in the biscuit tin:smiling2::smiling3:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Cheers Steve

Jam jars, your wish is my command........

rov-173_2018-12-30.jpg
jar full of screws - well, ok, bits of brass and steel wire was nearest I could get

rov-174_2018-12-30.jpg
also did the compulsory hard paintbrush in dirty turps :smiling:

rov-175_2018-12-30.jpg
the wrapped glass on the bonnet

rov-176_2018-12-30.jpg
bedsheet for use as cleaning rags

rov-177_2018-12-30.jpg
tap and a bit of damp painted in

I think that is all the component pieces done now - just need to bring all the bits together now............

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning Mr T,
It seems I’ve missed pretty much every update since the beginning of December....even though I flick through the site most days and it’s on my watch list!
Anyway.....Wow! Some most excellent touches, bring the whole scene to life.
Observing and reproducing all the bits us blokes keep in our garages/sheds was a great idea. I think yours is still too tidy though.... I’ve seen some garages, floor to ceiling junk, or ‘projects’ as they are better known :smiling5:
Loving it:thumb2:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning Si - I know exactly what you mean :smiling4: but I have run out of GB time to keep adding stuff so completion beckons

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
What next? I can't bear to look...perhaps some loose pocket change on the floor boards or the car keys in the ignition? Hmmmmm. This is a good show no matter what the price of admission. Cheers, Rick H.:thumb2:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Thanks Rick - don't think anything else will be added now :thinking:

All the bits are now in place and glued down

I managed to smack the roof into my airbrush extract cabinet and with it being made of thin cardboard rather than plastic it suffered a bit of damage - the paint chipped off. I wasn't too pleased at that point but only myself to blame

There will be a little touching up of paint required but it is essentially now complete

Photos will follow in due course

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
What can be said Simon !
Only
:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:
John

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Simon,
I have missed this and just had a good catch up. Inspired work and a great imagination, top work. have a happy new year from my home to yours.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
You've brought another beauty home brother. Have a Happy New Year Simon. PaulE

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
All the components look great:thumb2::thumb2:, hope to see them together soon.:hungry:
Oh and have a happy New Year Simon.