SimonT - "Does my bum look big in this?" A wee lass in an armoured battle suit

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Jakko - that is great. Must have taken some time and considerable cost to build. Even better, the vid is backed by one of my favourite bands Sabaton :thumb2: The three bodyguards in red capes are rather nice as well;)

Karl - not by my reckoning :thinking: An 80mm figure height at 1/18 would make them only around 4ft 8", still rather on the short side
Can't see her lugs for hair but I am assuming she is not a fairy

John - no, no tracks on this one. When you think about it though a personal tracked and armed vehicle would probably make much more sense rather than having to sort the complicated matter of making a walking machine that is stable over all terrain

Tim - no pewter on this one, shock horror

Steve - no it isn't having a bucket, silly boy

Richard - no rivets or welds either. All very strange

Mick - not too far off paint now......

Jim - ears are covered by hair so they can be any shape you want ;)

dmb-021_2020-8-24.jpg
dmb-024_2020-8-24.jpg
destroyed three CD cases and various transparent packing plastics trying to make the canopy - the above are just a small sample of the failures

The CD cases were the best quality plastic and seemed most likely to work but, as per my previous attempts at plug moulding, results were variable. Most attempts ended in failure - holes, too thin in places, burnt edges, wonky shapes

I did however get one that came out roughly canopy shaped - canopy for what I am not sure but it wasn't for this!

dmb-020_2020-8-24.jpg
dmb-022_2020-8-24.jpg
After a bit of sanding I had something canopy like, it just didn't really fit the complicated rear edge of the frame so, I decided it would be easier to modify the frame to fit the canopy

dmb-025_2020-8-24.jpg
the frame got some button/light panels and the rear edge of the frame modified with lots of short sections of square rod to change the shape. It was all blended together with filler and sanded down
dmb-027_2020-8-24.jpg
the canopy has a few marks so will have to polish it - not too critical though as I will be tinting it with clear orange paint

dmb-019_2020-8-24.jpg
canopy loosely back in place - it has been stuck down and pulled off three times now. Hopefully the next time will be the last

dmb-023_2020-8-24.jpg
dmb-026_2020-8-24.jpg
apart from tidying I think assembly is now complete

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Jakko - that is great. Must have taken some time and considerable cost to build.
I noticed the fingers of the hands move, so it’s probably even more complicated than it already looks.

The three bodyguards in red capes are rather nice as well;)
I was kind of surprised to see that many Sisters of Battle cosplayers …

no, no tracks on this one. When you think about it though a personal tracked and armed vehicle would probably make much more sense rather than having to sort the complicated matter of making a walking machine that is stable over all terrain
It’s simply that walkers are cooler. As military machines they make no sense whatsoever compared to tanks, but they look cooler to many SF buffs.

The CD cases were the best quality plastic and seemed most likely to work but, as per my previous attempts at plug moulding, results were variable. Most attempts ended in failure - holes, too thin in places, burnt edges, wonky shapes
Luckily the material isn’t too difficult to come by :smiling3:

Looking good, though :smiling3:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I think this is now ready for some paint

Are you sure Mr T?? I still cant see a bucket and cloth. She really is going to need one of she is going to keep that canopy clean.

• Love
Reactions: JR

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
It's ok - the canopy is treated with a special coating containing millions of constantly moving wash wipe nano-bots

Each bot has its own built in BnM-0002-EZ/CL/EEN-3.0 bucket and mop system

The bucket is fitted with the latest XDF/43-X564-FF-76a cleaning fluid recycling processor that refreshes the bucket each time it fills up with dirty fluid

or something ;)

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I must say I am rather impressed with Mig one shot. I have used it a few times now and it performs well

D

Deleted member 7181

I've seen a few people complain about the one shot bottles, but loving the product itself. God knows why they didn't just stick their own label on the original stynylrez bottles as ump did, they seem much better.

I've only tried the white so far (in badger guise) but have to admit it's pretty good, almost good enough to tempt me away from Mr Surfacer, and a vastly better than the Vallejo stuff I tried.

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Seeing Andy has mentioned that link with Badger, I was surprised to see a case of it stacked up on a tour of the badger factory video. Simons quite right, I got so fed up with that lid and hurling paint everywhere I now remove the top and pour it out.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Andy - didn't know it was stynylrez by another name. UMP?

John - those flip lids are useless for the user. Quite good for the seller as you waste most of the paint and have to buy another one. I agree, taking the top off is much less wasteful

Friday night I sprayed the suit with Tamiya flat aluminium - actually turned out quite bright and shiny

I was going to just paint it like a tank - green shades over the silver then chipped

However, as I reached for the green my inner Tony Stark took over and I went and sprayed it in Tamiya clear red instead

I think it will get a semi gloss varnish for an anodised type finish

dmb-030_2020-8-31.jpg
dmb-031_2020-8-31.jpgdmb-034_2020-8-31.jpgdmb-033_2020-8-31.jpg
it doesn't really matter that it would stand out a tad in red - at around 4m tall it isn't exactly inconspicuous

anyway, you just push the stealth mode button and the adaptive camouflage will hide it

dmb-032_2020-8-31.jpg
this is the canopy with its clear orange coating - it is sat on black panzer putty stuff at the moment so should be a little more translucent

what does anyone think - leave it red or go green?

D

Deleted member 7181

I like the red, very different.
For me it's a bit too much at the moment but I'm guessing you'll be painting some of the details like weapons & hoses in other colours.

Sorry about the primer comment. It's pretty common knowledge elsewhere so figured it would be here too. The owner of Badger talks about the "collaboration" in the video John mentioned, so it's not just rumour.

UMP is a rival retailer so won't say any more to be fair to John , but they openly admit their primer is rebranded stynylrez too.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Thanks Andy - yes, cockpit will get coloured in, panel lines to pick out, weapons, hoses, general weathering etc so hopefully it will break it up a little
Not a problem

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
There was a sci-fi wargame that in it's "fluff" said camouflage was made obsolete by nano drones so heraldry made a come back in a big way.
So bright red is fine with me, especially if you go as far as the types of war fought in Robojox.......

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
I like the red and as Andy says it will be broken up with detail painting.
Jim