SimonT - Hobbyboss 1/35 Russian T-18 Light Tank

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
The paint looks very nice. Toning down the contrast and the washes have really worked. Good tips to make the stencils work. I suppose not being stuck down means it is far too easy to get paint creeping underneath. You have cracked it.
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s looking far better than the initial stark contrast, if you ask me. Always fun when bits go flying off during painting, too …

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I had the same problem with the rings on my Lorraine. A nice substitute. Always a bind to paint extra bits on when the main build has already been done

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
t18-055_2019-10-20.jpg
tracks have been painted with Tamiya flat earth then they had a rust wash using diluted Oilbrusher rust

this was followed with a black wash

more work required but couldn't resist a turret test fit to see what it looks like

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Looks good. I rather like those oilbrushers. The oil paint in them seems to flow well and the pigment doesn't separate and go grainy.
Jim

Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
All coming together well now Mr T. Will you be adding pigments to the tracks?

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Jim - yes, they are rather good. Dry better than traditional oil paints as well

Steve - ta. They have had another black wash to tone them down. Will get some worn metal bits and then some muck

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Simon,
Started at page one and then skipped to page seven. That paint finish looks very good indeed, will now go and read the whole build. Like a good book, sometimes you just have to read the last chapter first.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Cheers Scottie

Mike - thanks. I am trying to up my game on the painting side of things. Try not to nod off if you go back to read the rest of this twaddle :smiling5:

Last night I went around the tracks and wheel rims with one of those AK weathering pencils to impart some metallic sheen and then I started applying some muck to the hull in the form of Russian earth pigment and pigment fixer.

The pigment is really dark, almost black - checking on google it does appear that this is a common shade.

I think I will need to add some lighter stuff though to break it up otherwise it will look like it has been dipped in a tar pit!

Neo

First Name
Artyom
Very good result! If one day you want to build another T-18, my friend produce very nice aftermarket from resin for this tank . Tracks,chassis and maybe something in future.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Thank you Artyom

It isn’t quite finished yet - still a few things to do then a small base and a driver figure

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Been playing in the mud on this one

Mixed up some nice mud from AK acrylic soil paste, Russian earth pigment and Noch static grass

t18-056_2019-11-6.jpg
t18-057_2019-11-6.jpg
t18-058_2019-11-6.jpg
t18-060_2019-11-6.jpg
t18-061_2019-11-6.jpg
t18-062_2019-11-6.jpg
t18-063_2019-11-6.jpg
t18-064_2019-11-6.jpg
jolly good fun

t18-059_2019-11-6.jpg
so this is what it currently looks like

the tarp and shovel have been painted and then highlighted using AK pencils

a light green artists watercolour pencil has been used to add a few scratches and highlight edges and rivets

mud dragged up the front where the driver climbs in and some on turret roof - forgot to add to hull roof so it looks like crew magically end up on the turret

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I had no idea you were going to muck it up this much! Looks like the rooskies had their times with the Rasputitsa as well as the Germans. Very nice effect Mr.T.
Rick H.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Neither did I Rick :smiling2: but since the build isn't that great and the paintwork has been a bit of a test I decided to have a go at something a bit more than the usual light dust

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Quite a change for you Simon. :surprised:
What do you think to those AK pencils ?
I was wondering about using them on foam board .

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Glad you had fun in the mud Mr T. Certainly looking the part now. Great stuff

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
John - they are ok for doing scratches and small bits of highlighting etc on a matt surface. I wouldn't use them to try and cover a large area
Not sure they are really any better than the artists water colour pencils I already had

Steve - who doesn't like making mud pies? All a bit of an experiment though so it may still end in disaster......