SimonT - ICM 1/48 Sdkfz. 222

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Scottie,
Normally so am I :smiling2:

I wouldn’t usually do six different shades, maybe three or four when mixing my own

Would like to get better finishes so decided to try out the ‘professional’ approach and see if it makes any difference.

I do rather expect that I will find that it is the idiot behind the airbrush that hampers things but we shall see......

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Looks good. I suspect 6 colours is maybe to justify the price although perhaps a nice result can be had using just 3 or 4. Difficult to judge at an early stage as weathering can change things.
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Anything could happen Jim - exciting isn't it :smiling5:

It is currently a lot paler than the pics would suggest but all the other crap that will get thrown at it will change it a fair bit I reckon

Filters for instance - I have some but why? You paint the vehicle in chosen colour then cover it in a watery substance that changes the colour. Why not just paint it that colour in the first place?? :thinking::rolling:

Old dog, new tricks - should be a laugh if nothing else.

Will it turn out better than the usual Verlinden black/brown wash and dry brush it to hell and back method or will it have been a total waste of time and money.....

oo, the suspense........

D

Deleted member 7181

Paint job is great so far. Looking forward to the following stages, whichever way you go.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning Simon,
Well I’m shocked to read you’ve not only purchased......but are going to use all these new fancy products!

I suppose sometimes it’s good to try new stuff....it’s how we evolved as a species:nerd:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
For me Mr T a filter is a way of blending everything together especially on a camo pattern. The other time I use it is as a dust layer before doing the oil work. It's all about building up layers and depth. If you breathe in hard enough you will be able to smell the b******t from here LOL

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Thanks all,
Took the day off as had a medical appointment for most of the afternoon but managed to block in more colours and make a stab a grey wear through using small bits of sponge

The number plate decals were a nightmare - sheet gives you four options and I used them all as they kept disintegrating
The Mig decal solutions also dissolves them so that was a waste of money - brilliant

Here are some pics of where it is at now

45D48B56-7D7D-4948-8D2A-8DB5A36C6A7B.jpeg9AB62524-5E01-407C-A9FF-7844D77C568F.jpeg6624AA50-771E-41F8-872D-82421F1127DB.jpegC05021F1-A8B6-4ACB-9999-F072BC4B9800.jpeg7C868102-AF42-4E25-81F3-70235FEE822D.jpeg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Hope appointment was ok - no worries. Paint work is looking rather good. As for the decal setting stuff some is so strong it's useless. I have tried a couple but now stick to MicroSol. Ok it sometimes takes a few applications to get the decal to snuggle down but at least it doesn't disintegrate.
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Done some more details today plus shading on various bit and pieces

It has now had a coat of gloss varnish as it is meant to protect the acrylic from the Ammo enamel weathering potions

Once the varnish has dried the experimentation can begin

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning all,

Varnish is still as sticky as it was yesterday - not a good sign

Also not totally convinced by the Mig system before I start - reading the books again there are inconsistencies
For instance it tells you to gloss varnish it to protect the paint then says the filter should be applied over matt paint :rolling: Also other inconsistencies about when to do what

If the varnish doesn’t set though then it is a total non starter

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Shame about the varnish. Could it be due to the high humidity? The last couple of days here have not been as hot as some recent days but humidity has been really uncomfortable. Hope it cures.
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Could be Jim - will just have to leave it alone and see what happens

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Simon,
That looks better. I can remember you starting it, but looks a lot better now it is in paint.
Cheers, Mike.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Probably too late now Mr T but I do all the acrylic work first; before adding decals I add a coat of Gloss Varnish where the decals go, add decals, once dry cover the whole model in Matt varnish; then start annihilating it with weathering oils and pigments. There have been many discussions on the forums about varnishes but it seems Klear and Windsor Newton work the best. The hand painted DAK insignia is sublime. You must have a very steady hand. Lets hope you have some better success soon with the new fangled weathering substances

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Missed the start, middle , all the build , sorry Simon. :cold-sweat: looking good despite the attack of the MIG !
The only decal stuff I've used it the Vallejo.
As for buying those packs of paints, think there just another sales gimmick to grab a sale .