SimonT - M51 Toon conversion

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
It's just a 3D caricature Jim - artists do them in 2D all the time of people, cars, planes etc so why not build them in 3D?

I have spent the last 40 odd years trying to improve the accuracy of what I build but this is still modelling so I'm happy with it - still uses the same skill set to get to completion.

They are totally daft and just a bit of fun but the modelling is still modelling

I have built all kinds of model subjects across a wide variety of scales over the years from 1:1 down so this is just another addition to a long list

If you don't get it that's fine - no one will ever like every subject that comes along in whatever medium you can think of

Cheers Ian

D

Deleted member 6559

Brilliant caricature taking shape Simon. As you say, it's all modelling, involves the same set of skills (superb in your case), and anyway, what's wrong with having a bit of fun and not taking it too seriously once in a while?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
It's just a 3D caricature Jim - artists do them in 2D all the time of people, cars, planes etc so why not build them in 3D?

I have spent the last 40 odd years trying to improve the accuracy of what I build but this is still modelling so I'm happy with it - still uses the same skill set to get to completion.

They are totally daft and just a bit of fun but the modelling is still modelling

I have built all kinds of model subjects across a wide variety of scales over the years from 1:1 down so this is just another addition to a long list

If you don't get it that's fine - no one will ever like every subject that comes along in whatever medium you can think of

Cheers Ian
I didn't get them either Simon, until I saw one (of yours?) with a Lego figure as a tank commander. Suddenly I understood what they're about.
Pete

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Peter - thanks

John - actually makes it more fragile :smiling5:

Scottie - :thumb2:

Pete - this is the first one I have done. If it had a Lego commander it was probably a product of Petes Toon factory

Bit of an update on this one......

toon-024_2019-5-27.jpg
infantry telephone box added to rear hull

toon-027_2019-5-27.jpg
hinges and locks added to stowage boxes

toon-026_2019-5-27.jpg
ventilator added to turret bustle

toon-029_2019-5-27.jpg
some Israeli black plastic jerrycans for the hull sides

toon-025_2019-5-27.jpg
toon-028_2019-5-27.jpg
the start of some suspension and drivetrain parts

I drew them up in cad based on my paper templates then printed them out - the quality is rather disappointing but the parts do at least give me a head start and once filled and cleaned up should be usable

Scratching wheels and sprocket masters takes an age plus they then need moulds making and casting in resin

With these I printed a full set in around half an hour

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Always fascinating to see the magic unfold Simon.
Esp the CAD use, a great skill to have .

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning John,

CAD has been my work since 1996 it has definitely come in handy for the modelling since then

Have used my bank holiday lie in to draw up this T80 track link
Screenshot 2019-05-27 at 09.31.10.png
better get up and see if the printer can handle printing them out.......

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning John,

CAD has been my work since 1996 it has definitely come in handy for the modelling since then

Have used my bank holiday lie to draw up this T80 track link
View attachment 343078
better get up and see if the printer can handle printing them out.......
Morning .Fantastic Simon, I really admire guys with your skill,coupled with the desire to produce great models.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Looking great. The barrel is better a little shorter even for a 'Toon. Glad to see pewter. The bits you're making - do you have a 3D printer?
Modelling is a funny hobby. It encompasses so many genres. Some will only model a very narrow range of subjects/scales and some are happy to tackle anything. This forum is great in that respect - all scales, all subjects, all historical periods etc. The main thing is to appreciate the time and skills involved.
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning Jim,
thanks. Barrel definitely looks more in proportion to everything else even though it is a bonkers build

Had to get a bit of pewter in there :smiling4:

3D printer - yes just a cheap hobby one, the latest addition to the modelling armoury.

I have been wanting to have a try for a few years but now the prices have come right down I decided to give it a go.

It is fascinating to watch it build things - a bit like a very very slow Star Trek replicator

It is also extremely frustrating - the manufacturers software is a bit pants (I suspect the printer is actually better than the software leads me to believe) and I have had a few blocked nozzle events that made it look like it was broken. Took me most of yesterday morning to fix

I do not see it as a total replacement for traditional scratch building but more of an aid, especially with the current rather poor quality of the prints I am getting - it is meant to have 0.01mm accuracy but I don't believe that, although it could be being let down by the software - what I draw and what it prints are not necessarily entirely the same thing!

The sprockets are close for example but not 100% and need fettling but still a lot faster than scratching one and then trying to get good castings, even with the time required to construct the initial 3D CAD model

It is interesting tech and I am sure the expensive printers do a much better job, especially the ones with resin baths etc rather than filament layers like this one

I shall continue to fiddle and possibly try out some different slicing software - there seems to be quite a few third party programs out there in net land

If the current print works then I will be able to make the basis of 55 track links in one go - not Friul standard but hopefully usable with a bit of work......

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks, Simon, for the answer. I'm totally ignorant about 3D printers. What is the finished article made of? Is it like styrene so can be cleaned up with a blade or sanded?
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Jim - mine uses PLA (polylactic acid). 1.75mm diameter on a big spool - looks like garden strimmer line

PLA or ABS seem to be the standard filaments on the smaller printers. Large professional ones have resin baths that use lasers to cure the resin and create the part. I have also seen ones that work with ceramic powder and even metal

PLA is fermented plant starch rather than a by-product of oil (ABS)- corn or sugar cane/beet pulp are most popular.

Tough stuff not quite as easy to work as styrene but I have found it will sand if you don't use course grit.

(It feels a bit like the stuff plastic chopping boards are made from)

Course grit tends to cause fluffy edges a bit like trying to sand the old polywhatshername Airfix figures. It seems to stick ok with CA and Squadron green appears to fill the slight grooves that you end up with between the layers and infill

Broke my (nearly new) tin opener handle yesterday (poor design due to scrimping on the use of plastic) so I drew one up with a stronger solid design and printed it out - haven't used it yet but it looks the part and certainly feels up to the task

Last edited:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
The plan to print 55 links in one go didn't work

Links became unstuck from the print bed and got dragged about by the printhead so I just ended up with a molten lump of plastic with links sticking out of it - the printhead operates at around 210degC so as soon as it touches anything it all goes horribly wrong

Cut the number of links down to 10 and it seemed much happier - got 40 links done

Got two halves of an idler joined with a 3mm spacer and drilled so that it fits on the kit axle

• Sad
Reactions: JR

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Another small update

toon-030_2019-5-30.jpg
one jerrycan in a pewter rack added

one spare road wheel added - there should be two road wheels and two jerrycan racks at the back but due to the toon nature of the hull it is too short so it will be one can and the one wheel (which still needs some bolt heads adding)

toon-031_2019-5-30.jpg
two sets of idler wheels assembled - bit more filling required and then a set of hubs and bolts

toon-032_2019-5-30.jpg
also started trying to make some volute springs for the suspension - not happy with it though so will be doing this again

This is another one that I will not finish by the GB deadline

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Another small update

View attachment 343481
one jerrycan in a pewter rack added

one spare road wheel added - there should be two road wheels and two jerrycan racks at the back but due to the toon nature of the hull it is too short so it will be one can and the one wheel (which still needs some bolt heads adding)

View attachment 343482
two sets of idler wheels assembled - bit more filling required and then a set of hubs and bolts

View attachment 343483
also started trying to make some volute springs for the suspension - not happy with it though so will be doing this again

This is another one that I will not finish by the GB deadline
I've heard the last line before Simon .:smiling4:
Your really pushing your self on this, great to watch but like Jim I know little of these contraptions, as to the one with the bath that is just intriguing.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Simon, what a toon scratch!!
Its obvious you wouldn't meet the deadline with only 15 days to build even with the help of a 3D printer but its a good effort. :thumb2: Your average build time is not less than 2 months a kit as you normally detail it. Basically you disassemble(disembowel) and reassemble the basic kit :smiling5: The manufacturer won't even recognize it.
Please don't let the deadline stop you as I am interested to see this finished and painted up. Also looking forward to the restart of the 1/15 scaled M-51.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Always interesting to see what you come up with next :thumb2:
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
John - I know, it is getting to be a bad habit :smiling4: Check this out --> Resin 3D printing

Richard - yes, I think I was being rather hopeful, oh well :smiling5:

Scottie - ta, still going......

Jim - next is drive sprockets, see below

Had a go at a drive sprocket earlier

toon-033_2019-5-31.jpg
by chance I found that three of the road wheels sandwiched together (with the flange sanded off the middle one) were just the right size for the sprocket drum so here are three CA'd together and filled

toon-034_2019-5-31.jpg
toon-035_2019-5-31.jpg
the printed sprockets still need cleaning up before they are CA'd in place but you can get the general idea