SimonT - Panzer Grenadier 1/35 Sovereign 2000

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning all,

The stash contains a large amount of figures in a variety of scales and materials all the way up to 1:6 vinyl so time permitting there may be more than one entry

First up will be this 1/35 chap from Sovereign2000
3A454138-A955-45ED-933D-B0D02D05228F.jpeg
600A1F51-B4FC-4354-90D8-5E51524F4FBB.jpeg
Single body casting with just an arm and rifle to add

There are a few bits of resin sprue added to the figure to aid casting that will need removing but nothing out of the ordinary - just needs careful clean up

Then all I have to do is actually paint him

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Very nice Simon. Looking forward to seeing how this one goes. Are you adding any extras??

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Ian - he doesn't look too bad but I'm sure my painting can make him look much worse

Steve - only had a quick look but he seems to have everything he should have. Any mods will probably be limited to cleaning out undercuts, sharpening creases and maybe a pewter rifle sling instead of the resin. Small base to stand him on of course - may try the scenic rollers that I got from GreenStuff World on that

Then dump a huge pile of Precision Ice and Snow snow on top to hide the painting

C

Cameronian

Looks like a delicate job getting the rifle separated.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi George - typical for a resin kit. May be famous last words but it should clean up ok with my trusty JLC razor saw.

I have plenty of Armor Accessories plastic rifles if I do muck it up :smiling3:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Fernando - thanks. Clean up went ok

ger-001_2019-6-3.jpgger-002_2019-6-3.jpgger-003_2019-6-3.jpgger-004_2019-6-3.jpg
he cleaned up ok - just a few fine mould lines to remove and the casting blocks

Rifle strap also removed, groove cut in shoulder and replaced with pewter

All the creases got sharpened up with a round end chisel plus a few extras were added

The undercut for the bottom of his coat was opened out also with the chisel

The point where the ammo boxes meet coat was trimmed out and then re-made with Duro. Once the surface was re-made the arm was CA'd into place and pushed into the Duro so that it sunk in rather than sitting on top of the coat

The arm to body joint has now had a skim of filler

Next stop, primer.......

D

Deleted member 6559

A very nice figure Simon. I've found these Sovereign figures to be excellent (morphed into Hornet, I believe) and very nice to paint.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning Pete - it will be all downhill from now on once the paint arrives :smiling2:

I sharpened up the creases as they were rather soft but apart from that pretty good.
I think it was the other way around. Started in conjunction with Hornet then turned into Wolf but now produced by Sovereign - can’t remember the exact details but I read something on the Hornet site about it

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Very nicely done Mr T. I like what you did with the ammo box. Nice attention to detail. Good luck with the wet stuff

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Cheers Steve - something to watch out for. Manufacturers often overlook the fact that kit should sit into clothing rather than perch on top

ger-006_2019-6-4.jpg
sneakily managed to get him primed in my favourite Halfords car primer before I went to work which meant he was ready to start once I got home last night

ger-007_2019-6-4.jpg
ger-005_2019-6-4.jpg
before starting I had to replace the top section of rifle sling as I had stuck it too far back - should have been coming out of his mitten

with that corrected I blocked in the main colours for parka, trousers and ammo boxes

the VJ paint has gone shiny as usual so he will need matting down at the end

most of the VJ paints don't cover very well so he needed a couple of coats

I have just spotted something else I'm not happy with so there will be a little rectification work required before painting continues

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Nice looking figure. Nicely got ready for paint. The face deep in the hood will make it awkward to paint.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

The painting looks very neat to me so far Simon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi, looking good, I only have one criticism and that is the title, not sure if you chose panza for a reason, otherwise correct spelling would be better, my grandfather was a Panzer Grenadier, that's all, no offence intended.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Corrected the bit of dodgy body work that I spotted in the previous photos and redid the base coat

ger-008_2019-6-5.jpgger-009_2019-6-5.jpg
while I was at it I blocked in a few other parts with base colour - mittens, gas mask case, bread bag, water bottle and white wash to helmet