SimonT - Pig Models 1:1 88mm Pzgr.39 (APCBC) L/56

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I must dig out a brass shell case that I think is in the back of my shed, in the hope of getting it identified. It's about 30" long, and 4 1/2" diameter at the narrow end. It was in the garage of the first house I bought, in 1970.
Pete

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Clever work with the stamps Simon, I wouldn't have though of doing an 'a' like that.:thumb2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Please share that with us when you find it Peter. I wondered if you had made your own stamps MR. T. It surprises me to learn that you "bought" them:rolling:....what a novel idea! LOL Rick H.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Unfortunately I don't have a metalworking shop Rick so yes, had to resort to buying some :sad-face:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Been a while since the last update but I have been working on this on and off in the background

88mm-016_2020-6-7.jpg
the back face of the baseplate has had some short lengths of tubing CA'd to it and the surface scored

88mm-017_2020-6-7.jpg
the inside of the bottom end of the main casing has had the same treatment

this is because I plan to pour some resin in to seal the base of the shell

the idea is that it will key to the tubing and score marks with the purpose of making it so that the base will not fall off and deposit the sand on the carpet

I cleaned up the end of the casing to remove the moulding flash - I found that scraping with blade edge seemed to work best

88mm-015_2020-6-7.jpg
once the end was flat I CA'd the baseplate on to the end of the casing

although it fits well there is a small gap left between the two parts so I splurged some of that new formula squadron grey putty

made a bit of a mess with it but at least I got the hole filled

88mm-018_2020-6-7.jpg
after many hours of sanding back it is looking a lot neater

the casing itself has also been subjected to many many hours of sanding and polishing with a scotch pad

the vinyl type plastic they have used is horrible stuff - it doesn't sand very well and I have found that the mould release lines keep on coming back

thought I was going mad but sure enough, sand them away so all appears nice and smooth, leave a couple of hours and they come back

the surface also appears to hold a charge - every piece of dust sticks to the surface

I think I will have to give it a soapy wash down and prime it then see how good/bad it is

it may need a few prime/sand/prime/sand to get a smooth surface good enough to paint

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
88mm-020_2020-6-8.jpg
a view down the inside of the casing

88mm-019_2020-6-8.jpg
200ml of resin

88mm-021_2020-6-8.jpg
this is the view down the inside of the casing after pouring the resin as it cures into a solid

the exothermic reaction of 200ml resin is quite toasty! :surprised:

I am hoping this resin plug combined with the baseplate being CA'd in place will be enough to contain the sand that I intend to weight the casing with

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Now this Simon will be a perfect door stop, certainly a talking point on tours of the house .

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
When I saw all that resin I thought that it was gonna be warm in your house. Hope the resin sticks ok. Certainly an unusual ornament/talking point.
Jim

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’m wondering now if it wouldn’t have been simpler to use two-part epoxy to attach the base to the rest of the casing? Should seal just as well if you apply it all around.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Jim - it makes a great hand warmer. All appears to have worked as expected

Jakko - you will have to keep wondering.

I am happy with the 15mm thick solid resin base that it now has, as I intended, which should be keyed into both the side of the casing and the end plate
It was sealed anyway with the CA and filler - no resin leaked out

I think the next step will be trying to clean off all the clingy dust and get some primer on it to see how bad the surface is

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Simon, I missed this build completely (Yet another!)

Very interesting, and something refreshingly different.

I want one!

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Ron - they are bringing out the HE version soon

Cleaned the parts down with lint free tissue and lighter fluid then went out on to the drive to spray the primer

Typically it chose that moment to start spitting with rain so the finish was ruined

If you look at the photos there are black marks - this is the plastic that was effectively masked by the small rain drops

It will need sanding down again as a result

One good thing though is that the primer did not show up any signs of the mould lines
88mm-022_2020-6-29.jpg88mm-023_2020-6-29.jpg88mm-024_2020-6-29.jpg88mm-025_2020-6-29.jpg

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Just caught up Simon, neat work turning this 1/1 kit into a replica

Too bad about the rain, hopefully it’ll stay dry the next time you go out painting :thumb2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I got excited when you mentioned lighter fluid !

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Had a look at this one now the paint has had chance to fully set and the sneaky mould lines have come back yet again!!!!

It is a horrible and weird material that they have used - can't remember any other kit having mould lines that kept coming back after being sanded away

If they won't stay away after another round of sanding and priming I may have to chisel a shallow groove along the mould line and back fill it so that the viewed surface is actually filler.

That will then introduce the potential for more problems with filler adhesion to the weird plastic and blending of the edges to prevent visible lumps :rolling:

I could be at this for some time yet.......

• Sad
Reactions: JR

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
88mm-027_2020-7-14.jpg
this one is still ongoing

done a lot of sanding, filling, sanding, filling, sanding etc etc etc etc

those pesky mould lines keep on coming back but the worst ones at the pointy end are now covered in filler so I am hoping they will stay covered up

88mm-026_2020-7-14.jpg
it's a messy process - the dust is so fine it gets ingrained

I think it is about ready for another try with the primer.........

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Simon.

Your carpet must be choking !

There's a short part on this video on the shell, no mention of assembly or painting. but just shows the size.