SimonT - Pig Models 1:1 88mm Pzgr.39 (APCBC) L/56

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Wow, that King Tiger round is huge.

My Tiger round is the one he has on the desk that is painted

The carpet is safe(ish) as I use this metal tray from the supermarket kitchen department to catch my sanding/cutting debris
image.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
those pesky mould lines keep on coming back but the worst ones at the pointy end are now covered in filler so I am hoping they will stay covered up
Why do I get this feeling that if I ever want something like this, I’d be better off having someone turn it for me from a piece of wood?

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Some nice dio block dust there Simon !

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Why do I get this feeling that if I ever want something like this, I’d be better off having someone turn it for me from a piece of wood?
Would have to be a tight grain and fully dry Jakko. You could use Tulip Wood as it paints perfectly.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
If going to the trouble of having one turned may as well just get an aluminium one and get some weight as well - 127mm diameter Aluminium rod 1m long is only £220 and weighs 34kg. Bargain

Sprayed the shell again last night - two coats of Vallejo primer

I stopped using the VJ primer as the solvent is rather strong and had melted normal plastic kits but since the stuff this kit is made from is impervious to all forms of attack I thought I may as well use up the VJ - worked a treat

It may get sanded and sprayed again though - the filled seams are still showing slightly even though they feel smooth to the touch

Preparation is going to be key for getting a good final finish on this so I shall keep going until I am happy with it

Still need to sand down the casing to get rid of the rain spots.....

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Fingers crossed .

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
The shell has had a few more layers and sanding

I then gave it a guide coat of black over the white

88mm-029_2020-7-20.jpg
when sanded down the black shows up the imperfections - I then kept sanding down until the black and the dodgy bit vanished

this is it after sanding but still in need of cleaning down, which was carried out using lint free tissues and lighter fluid (no John, unlit)

88mm-028_2020-7-20.jpg
it then got a few coats of Mig One Shot black - not looking too bad but it will get a couple more layers during the week plus a coat of ultra matt before I tackle the markings

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Oh lighter fluid unlit :cold-sweat: still it seems to have done the job, good man.