SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
musk-001_2019-6-23.jpg
the box art - doubt mine willl look quite so good :sad-face:

musk-003_2019-6-23.jpg
the parts - nicely cast in a fairly hard grey resin.
The musket is particularly nice - such pieces are often warped but this looks nice and straight

musk-002_2019-6-23.jpg
so far I have only whittled off the casting block on the torso and smeared on some filler

Hope to get a bit more done later today

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Rather late in the morning for you to post Simon :smiling:.

Still can't get my head around you building figures, so paying full attention to this. Thinking what will be the first thing to be changed, as can't see anything that needs to.
As long as your not a fast as Peter I'll settle down and enjoy.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning John - I ventured into the wilderness of the back garden yesterday. The fresh air must have got to me as I slept like a log! Unlike yourself I am not really into gardening - I garden in the style of Arnie and terminate anything and everything with extreme prejudice using a 4stroke strimmer fitted with a Decimator cutting head

I did four busts and two full figures back on the old site that must not be named so not a totally new thing John

Don't worry, it will not be finished by lunchtime

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
I'll sit with John. Does look a nice casting.
Jim

Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Woah!! Slow down there Mr T. You wait five years to see a Mr T figure and you get three come along all at once. Great to see you having a change from the AFV's. Seat drawn up in eager anticipation. Good luck

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Welcome Jim - on closer inspection musket does have a bit of warp but nothing too serious. Steaming kettle should sort it

Hi Steve - just like buses :smiling:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Musket was sorted when I made a cuppa - only needed a slight bend to straighten it

musk-006_2019-6-24.jpg
chiselled out the wrist

musk-004_2019-6-24.jpg
musk-005_2019-6-24.jpg
now when it came to the hat there was a problem - the resin peeled off in layers like an onion

Never seen that before - normally resin is just a solid lump but this was built up in very thin layers that just kept peeling off until I was left with a rather tatty looking hat full of holes

Not a problem though - I shall just make a new brim from Duro

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
It wouldn't be a resin 3D printer bust would it??

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
There Simon you have taught young Steve well . I my self would leave the hat as it was, battle damage . :nerd:
As for decimating the garden will not go there. :fearful:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi John - when the first ragged edge appeared I did think of that but now it looks like it was used for target practice

Decimating is good fun - went through four of the steel wire cutters and had to order some more last night

• Haha

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Simon
I' ve not had an issue with the reson peeling off before, really strange. It was cast in a mould, like the rest of the bust.

I can put a replacement in the post tomorrow if you want.

Peter

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
It was weird Peter - never had it happen before and I have done a lot of home castings and built bought ones as well. There was one layer on the outside and three or four in places on the inside. You can still see some of the edges in the photos above

As I cleaned up the mould marks around the edges the layers started peeling and the more I cleaned bits off the worse it got as one layer lifted the next and so on - I wonder if some mould release got trapped in the mix?

Bit freaky anyway - the rest of the parts appear solid so hopefully just a one off. Might be worth checking if you have some others in stock from the same batch though

Thanks for the offer but it's ok ta - I can easily cut out the damage and repair with Duro so shouldn't be a problem :thumb2:

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Simon

I'll check the couple i have in stock.

This should not have happened, I should have picked up the problem. you should not have to go to the trouble of making a new rim so i'll give you 10% off the next bust you buy.

Peter

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Don't be daft Peter - it is just a freaky accident. I couldn't tell there was anything wrong until I started working on it - you will need to examine the other ones very closely to see if there is a problem

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
musk-008_2019-6-30.jpg
musketeers arm now CA'd in place and held with elastic band until it sets

musk-009_2019-6-30.jpg
trimmed neck and collar jointing faces but still left with a bit of a gap all round, especially at the back, but nothing a little filler won't cure

musk-007_2019-6-30.jpg
also carried out a partial brimectamy and replacement - unfortunately I left it overnight to cure and the Duro sagged so it no longer fits around the musket so I may be doing this again :thinking:

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Nice progress shots. Hope all works out okay with the rifle

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning Steve - unfortunately the part of the hat pushing on the musket is the solid resin not just the Duro, which is a bit bendy.

I have had to remove the Duro repair section and cut back the resin feathers so that there is nothing pushing the musket barrel

This time I shall rebuild it in situ so that all parts fit together

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning all,

after a bit of a delay this one is back in play

Rebuilt the damaged hat and feathers again so that they sit around the musket without pushing on it

musk-010_2019-8-31.jpg

musk-011_2019-8-31.jpg
primed in Halfords white primer - this showed up a few dodgy bits so there was a little fettling required and then a re-prime

musk-012_2019-8-31.jpg

musk-013_2019-8-31.jpg
then base coated in Tamiya black

This is another one now ready for some paint......

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Posting at silly o'clock in the morning I see. Nice to see this again although to be honest I don't remember it :rolling: Mind you at my age I often don't remember what I had for dinner yesterday!!
Looks good under primer and the hat brim fix looks fine. Strange about the resin peeling back in layers. Odd things happen though and, for you, it was a simple fix.
Jim