SimonT - Tamiya 1:35 Sturmmorser Tiger (AAGB)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
filling the pin marks turned out to be pointless - when I checked photos of the real thing I found that the hatch should not have the raised rectangle inside so I sanded it all off taking the entire pin marks with it
Wouldn’t adding the double rim around the raised rectangle have disguised that as well?

Anyway, looking good :smiling3:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Thanks Jakko

No, because the outer edge would have been lower and the inner edge would have left a bit of raised section sticking out and the entire thing was a bit thick anyway

From what I can see on photos it all starts from a level plate

I may do the framing again - looking at the pictures I haven’t got it very even

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
All looking very nice. I like the track section - looks good.
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Time consuming Jim but they do look good

stig-045_2019-11-9.jpg
added the distinctive lugs on the barrel - oddly for a Tamiya kit there are no locating points for them so you have to eye them in at north, south, east and west positions then measure their distance from the front edge

stig-043_2019-11-9.jpg
bit hard to see but I have added the raised lip around the edge of the engine bay opening

I cut a strip of pewter, CA'd the perimeter of the hole and then pushed the pewter in gradually worked along all sides pushing into corners with the back of a knife blade - stuck it to me a few times and stuck my fingers to each other and the knife as it kept wandering about until the CA started to grab

worth the messing about though as it gives a nice scale edge

stig-046_2019-11-9.jpg
access door in place leaning up against the hinge stops

also added the hatch retainer hooks to the fan covers - can see one top left

stig-044_2019-11-9.jpg
a rubbish pic but you can just make out the angled block, cut from square rod, that the hatch retainer latches under
Tamiya had missed this off

stig-042_2019-11-9.jpg
added the three missing posts from under that vent cover

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm very sad to read that you didn't have a pointy rivet maker Simon.
Those tracks look good, I much prefer to do the separate links esp the Fruil, for me it's much easier. Would like to try those though.
Supprise there was no blood , reading of your self tattoing !

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
a rubbish pic
If I may give a tip here: take the photo from further away, then crop it to show the detail you want. This usually produces clearer photos than trying to take pictures from closer than the camera can reasonably handle.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
If I may give a tip here: take the photo from further away, then crop it to show the detail you want. This usually produces clearer photos than trying to take pictures from closer than the camera can reasonably handle.
Ditto!!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Simon

Beautiful work. Well done!

Andrew

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning John - I do have an idea for making ballistic rivets as I need some for an Italian armoured car
I like separate link tracks, just not the cleaning up :smiling5:
I like the Masterclub track pins as they are more like the real thing than the wires of Friuls but they are a bit fiddly - I have lost a few but they supply a few extra links for the spares so hopefully I will still have enough pins for the main track. I’ve just received a set of the newer style Masterclub metal tracks for the upcoming Stug

Jakko - good tip but I think not snapping pics on my phone at stupid o’clock in the morning when half asleep would also help somewhat

Andrew - ta

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Jakko - good tip but I think not snapping pics on my phone at stupid o’clock in the morning when half asleep would also help somewhat
That might just improve them too, of course :smiling3:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Continued adding links for the second track - now about half way

Also added the commanders hatch - this will need some detailing as there should be a counterbalance spring system which is totally missing

Have been studying the main loading hatch using interior and exterior photos in my reference books and can not see any hinges at all on this hatch

My conclusion is that this is just a lift off cover which is why there are handles at each end - a picture of a captured vehicle with US troops shows the roof hatch laying on the ground in front of the vehicle reinforcing this idea

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Finished track looks good. Is it fixed in place, glued to the wheels?
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Track is loose Jim

stig-052_2019-11-12.jpg
stig-051_2019-11-12.jpg
stig-049_2019-11-12.jpg
added the hull fixing plates that are inside behind those big pointy bolt heads

stig-050_2019-11-12.jpg
added the stepped anti-bullet armour inside the sight aperture and the surrounding weld - hopefully it will look a bit better after tidying once dry

stig-048_2019-11-12.jpg
added the mount for the hatch counterbalance

haven't been able to find a picture of the internal end of this device so there will be a bit of guesswork involved

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Simon .I've used those Masterclub tracks once, agree with you about looking better pin wise , but there doesn't seem to be a big choice. If you found them fiddly you can I
imagine how I faired ! Had to stand them side on and get the pin in from the top think I spent more time searching for " flying " pins than anything.

Nice detailing by the way .

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
There are a fair few now John but not as many as Friuls. MC ones are harder to source as well.
I can imagine you had a bit of trouble with the vision problems and those small pins.
I have pinged quite a few pins - just hope I have enough left

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Simon I have approx 12 pins, assuming they are the same dia and length, yours if you want.