SimonT - Tamiya 1:35 Sturmmorser Tiger (AAGB)

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning all - it's been a while. I got engrossed in the StugGB so this one suffered as a result and now the end is nigh.

In between bouts of falling asleep I managed a little progress yesterday

I also managed to finally make my own tank painting holder

stig-057_2020-2-23.jpg
the component parts - two part base and a handle with captive bolt on one end

stig-060_2020-2-23.jpg
assembled - pretty easy when there are only three parts!
I will give it a test drive on this build, assuming of course that it does actually reach the painting stage

stig-056_2020-2-23.jpg
added handles to the loading hatch and a brass wire lifting eye

stig-055_2020-2-23.jpg
handle added to the small hatch

stig-058_2020-2-23.jpg
back door installed

stig-059_2020-2-23.jpg
lastly the grenade launcher was added to the roof hatch

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Simon, had breakfast in bed as reread the whole of this build. A most enjoyable read.
Looking back at the great detail certainly gives some ideas for future builds .
Wet out side here so off to the cave .

Can see the " Tank Paint Holder "wasn't from Dragon, you'd have as many parts left for spares :smiling2::smiling2::smiling2: looking fwd to seeing it in action .

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
Just read through the whole thread over breakfast (ok, brunch)- what a great build! I would’ve thought that the Tammy track links could have sufficed, given the number of wheels covering up the inner face though? Fair play to you for persevering with the MC ones though!
My favourite bit is the engine & deck though- beautiful detailing!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
I'd forgotten this but nice to see it back on course. I like your tank painting holder. I made a crude holder out of a piece of dowel and a screw epoxied into the end. Worked ok but not as neat as yours, Just out of interest why did you make the handles from styrene rather than wire? They do look good but I find bending rod is difficult.
More rain on the way I think so hope all's well and keep your wellies close at hand :tongue-out3:
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Cheers Al - the Tamiya Tracks probably wouldn’t have looked too bad but the MC ones are just so much better with the lightening holes and proper track pins

Jim - the styrene rod I have is just the right size, bends easily and keeps the bends. Once gone though that is it as I got a mega bundle of 500mm long tubes and rods from China on ebay a few years ago - no longer available

Last edited:
Reactions: JR

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Managed to add a few more details yesterday........

stig-061_2020-2-24.jpg
made padlock brackets for the top hatches as Eduard failed to provide them

stig-062_2020-2-24.jpg
stig-063_2020-2-24.jpg
track hangar brackets added to upper hull

stig-064_2020-2-24.jpg
sledgehammer and axe got PE brackets and then installed on hull side

stig-065_2020-2-24.jpg
towing shackles added to each corner

stig-066_2020-2-24.jpg
periscope etch cover added

stig-067_2020-2-24.jpg
grenade launcher got a few details added - the ring fell off just after taking this and vanished into the hull

stig-069_2020-2-24.jpg
etch radio aerial mount added - gone a little wonky, will need looking at

stig-070_2020-2-24.jpg
brackets added to upper hull rear

stig-068_2020-2-24.jpg
more track links added - not too many more to add now.....

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Morning Simon
Busy, busy. A lot of progress. All looking neat - aerial mount just deliberately distressed for added realism ;)
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Say no more !

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
A flying (st)Tiger, thought I seen it all :smiling5: ...
Seems to work very well Simon :thumb2:.
Steven

• Love
D

Deleted member 7181

Great idea Simon.

Was the rivnut squeezed into place with a setting tool? They exert quite a bit of force and I'd be worried about it splitting the plastic. Or did you make a slightly undersized hole, allowing the knurled section to provide the grip?

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
So far so good Steven - hopefully it will stay on the stick. I foresee major damage if it falls off......

Andy - aluminium rivnut presses in with a Sealey hand tool. Being aluminium they compress quite easily so you can gauge when it is tight. I bought some rivnuts off ebay not realising they were steel - they are so tough the hand tool won’t compress them!

D

Deleted member 7181

Ah, I the set I have contains steel rivnuts, I know what you mean! Didn't realise you could get aluminium ones. Cheers.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Does this mean it will get painted Simon :nerd:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Your model handle is very neat looking. As John says - paint soon :thumb2:
Jim

• Haha

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Andy - just ordered some more aluminium ones

John - no, it just means it's on a stick :tears-of-joy:

Jim - as long as it all holds together I think it will do the job, as for paint, see above :sad-face:

Still a fair bit to do before the paint - finish assembling the second track, etch side skirts, rest of the tools and their etch brackets to add, possibly make a new jack, zimm the rear hull around the tools and exhausts, etch track guard end flaps to construct, sort out the radio aerial and mounting base, make the shell loading crane and possibly make a new one or modify it as it looks a bit simplified, make the shells, put one shell in its transport packing and cast off a few more......and probably a few more things I have forgotten + crew and a base at some point

• Haha

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Still a fair bit to do before the paint - finish assembling the second track, etch side skirts, rest of the tools and their etch brackets to add, possibly make a new jack, zimm the rear hull around the tools and exhausts, etch track guard end flaps to construct, sort out the radio aerial and mounting base, make the shell loading crane and possibly make a new one or modify it as it looks a bit simplified, make the shells, put one shell in its transport packing and cast off a few more......and probably a few more things I have forgotten + crew and a base at some point

At least another 6 months work then Mr T :smiling5: :thumb2:

Nice to see the tracks are nearly done. Any particular reason for making the tools and not using ones from the spares box? Luv the way the detailing came out on the inside of the hatch. Keep at it Simon. Look forward to seeing how the paint holder works out. Did it come from the 3d printer??

• Haha