Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Tracks so often get mentioned with associated boredom, frustration or sheer hatred. As John says bottom run with some mud - all fine. One of the things I find useful to glue on is a sheet of that stuff you can buy to line ovens with - Stay Clean Liners I think they are called. I tried with an offcut and modelling glues don't stick :smiling:
Jim

Reactions: JR

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Simon,
So much better than the average Tamiya junker, love the idea with the track work.
Mike.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Apart from breaking bits off it still looks good Simon.Of course a T34 all ways looks good:smiling3:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Mike - I rather enjoy reworking these old T34 based kits

Richard - cheers

Paul - I rather like John Wick. 3 does go a bit weird though

John - agreed. The broken hubs are annoying but should be easy enough to fix - I made them before so can make them again

Finished off the left track last night

Rather annoyingly as I was adding the last run of links on the top I found that I was 3/4 of a link short of joining the links already installed on the drive sprocket

With no adjustment available in the wheels I had to bodge it a bit

by flooding one of the joints on the bottom run near the back end I managed to separate the track

I could then turn the sprocket to enable the track to join to the main top run

on the bottom run I shaved down two links to 3/4 width and inserted in the gap - doesn't look too noticeable and a bit of mud should hide things nicely

t34-76-021_2020-5-2.jpg

t34-76-020_2020-5-2.jpg
I now have a removable wheel/track combo

For the right side, knowing now that there is a chance of them not fitting, I shall start with the top run so the adjustment point, if required, will be on the bottom run hidden by a wheel

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Morning Simon
Track looks fine - quite a result. Having wheels with fixed track removeable is a great idea. Surprised we don't see it more often. Common on small scales.
For the right side, knowing now that there is a chance of them not fitting, I shall start with the top run so the adjustment point, if required, will be on the bottom run hidden by a wheel
Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing :smiling2:
Stay safe.
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Yes Jim, unfortunately my memory is not so good - I’d forgotten that I had already assembled the bottom run last time I worked on it :rolling:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Yes, a good character for him. I enjoyed them all. 3 was quite an excersize in choreography, but it & 2 didn't measure up to 1 storywise IMHO. You may like Collateral (Tom Cruise) & The Accountant (Ben Affleck), both have good stunt work & are quite diversionary while "lapmodeling".

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Seen Collateral, not seen The Accountant so will keep an eye out for that one Paul :thumb2:

t34-76-022_2020-5-3.jpg
finished off the right side track

worked towards the front and managed to adjust the idler slightly such that i didn't end up with an odd sized gap this time

slight problem now - i have been unable to locate the box of remaining bits for this one

had a bit of a tidy around at christmas to make things habitable for when my sis visited so lots of part built kits got shoved out of the way

they are obviously here, somewhere, i just can't remember where i stuffed them out of the way - whoops :thinking:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt & the sound track. Usually found during next biyearly tidy. PaulE

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Luckily Paul I eventually found the correct box :thumb2:

t34-76-023_2020-5-4.jpgt34-76-024_2020-5-4.jpg
the track units dried overnight to leave them nice and solid

replaced the missing centre caps that I had knocked off then made some new hubs for the idler wheels - these replace the soft vinyl things that are supplied in the kit (a throwback from when this was a motorised kit)

I also added the single headlight on the left hull side, some spare track links on the track guards, a tow cable and the radio aerial mount on the right hull

Forgot to take pictures of all of them though - in my defence it was 2am and I had just woken up in front of the telly again :rolling:

Not too much more to add to this one before I can start throwing paint around

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I was just mounting up the parts ready for spraying when I realised that I had forgotten to add the bolt heads to the engine cover grille surround

so, 54No. 0.5mm bolt heads later I had this

t34-76-032_2020-5-5.jpg
I think that now finishes it off and makes it ready for some paint

Here are the bits I forgot to take pics of previously

t34-76-025_2020-5-5.jpg
headlight and horn assembly with lead wire conduit added

t34-76-026_2020-5-5.jpg
some spare track links added to the track guards

t34-76-027_2020-5-5.jpg
stub axles masked up ready for paint

t34-76-028_2020-5-5.jpg
t34-76-031_2020-5-5.jpg
tow cable from twisted wire fitted to the kit ends after removal of the kit plastic cable

t34-76-029_2020-5-5.jpg
radio aerial added from music wire and guitar string spring

t34-76-030_2020-5-5.jpg
mg barrel from brass micro tube

next stop, paint............

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Always nice to get a coat of primer on. Hope it hasn't shown up any areas needing work.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Its always the last bits of detailing that takes the longest. Nice to see the wet stuff out. Have you ever left a build as is with no paint on?? Intentionally of course - not one of your many shelf queens :smiling2: ;)

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Cheers Scottie

Jim - not seen anything yet, but you never know....

Steve - not intentionally no. Painted finished model is the logical conclusion whether scratched or kit

After finishing work for the day I got the 4BO out and wafted it around

pictures later