SimonT - Verlinden - 120mm Viking

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning all,

I was looking through part of the stash the other day and came across this chap again - he has been looked at a few times over the years since purchase but always went back on the pile

Finally decided to give him a go......

IMG_1927.jpg
the box

IMG_1928.jpg

IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_1930.jpg
the contents - plaster base, resin figure parts

well cast but as with quite a few Verlinden 120mm kits actual parts fit is less than great in some areas - with this one the shape of the padded arm sections did not match the cut outs in the torso and a fair bit of whittling was required to get a reasonable fit

IMG_1938.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg
as you can see, even after whittling the arms did not fit terribly well but at least it considerably reduced the gaps

I hollowed out the end of the scabbard and the neck of the bottle

A lot of the parts were drilled and pinned to reinforce the joins

Hair was a bit smooth so I scribed in some texture with a panel scriber

IMG_1939.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

the shield was one sided and smooth so I scribed in some plank and grain texture on both sides

The rear face of the shield will not really be seen normally however I decided to hollow out the boss and add some frame detail anyway

IMG_1948.jpg
the gaps got filled and his John Travolta medallion was added

IMG_1949.jpg
the moulded scabbard straps were a bit indistinct so off they came and were replaced with pewter

the straps clashed with the belt end so off that came and was also replaced with pewter

IMG_1944.jpg
IMG_1950.jpg
the plaster base was covered in CA to hopefully make it less porous and more chip resistant

the rear wall was drilled and pinned then stuck to the base with two part epoxy

the gap around the join was disguised with VJ red texture paste

IMG_1964.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_1963.jpg
parts now in primer and ready for paint.......

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6559

Oh, I'm so jealous - I've been looking for this one for years. The arms rarely fit properly on these figures, despite what appears to be careful modelling. Great additions and the usual Simon T attention to detail. Great stuff.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Rats, I could have sold you it for a super inflated price now they are rare :tears-of-joy:

Sorry Peter - I used to buy each one as they were released, until they started releasing so many I would have gone bankrupt. It has been in the stash for yonks. Not got many unbuilt ones left now - British infantryman, Commando, Florian Geyer chap with horse, Vietnam GI laying down relaxing (I have him earmarked for a 1:15 M274 when I get around to it), desert raider with camel and the Roman with camel (not keen on the figure so he will get converted - the camel is great. Heck of a lump of resin) and a two figure Kubelwagen crew set (to go with the Tamiya Kubel, also in the stash)

D

Deleted member 6559

Mad situation, where Historex are selling off their remaining stock at the same prices, £20 - £30, and the jokers on eBay are asking up to £200. They can ask, as far as I'm concerned.

And no psycho rabbit? I've got some 120mm rats if you feel the need.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
The wabbit is in the body shop - needs some work. Now has a basic ear shape installed

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Something different :thumb2: Looks rather nice and correcting problems and adding detail makes it your own. It may just be the photo but the face on th box art looks pretty poor.
Jim

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Great looking figure Simon, especially with your little enhancements.

D

Deleted member 4539

Nice work Simon.
I remember painting this about 20 odd years ago.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Jim - I think the box art makes the whole thing look worse than it is. Pretty sure one arm is a little too long but he is all primed now so not going to pull it apart again. I did however swap left and right arms from what is shown on the box as they seemed to fit better with the angle of the upper arm / shoulders

Mick - thanks. Just need to try and paint it now

Ralph - cheers. Mine must have been sat in the stash for at least that long :smiling4:

Have been around and tidied up a few blemishes that the primer highlighted and re-primed

Next up will be a black base coat and then painting can begin

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Cheers Scottie

viking-018_2019-8-31.jpg

viking-020_2019-8-31.jpg

viking-019_2019-8-31.jpg
definitive proof that Vikings enjoyed a bit of relaxing pole dancing after a hard days raping and pillaging

Black base coat (Tamiya) applied to all parts so now ready for some paint.....

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Hard to tell with black primer but it looks as if no real issues have been shown up. Credit to your careful filling and adding things.
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
There were a few minor blemishes but I sorted them before the black went on

Unfortunately the Viking horde has suffered a setback

Been looking forward all day to getting home from work and throwing some paint at this one

Unfortunately I forgot that he wasn’t very secure and when I lifted him from the spray booth he made a bid for freedom, headfirst five feet onto a wooden floor

Left arm came off and the sword sheared off and vanished so there will be a delay until I either find the sword or scratch build a new one

Oops

D

Deleted member 6559

Sorry to hear that Simon. Hopefully you'll sort him out. It's happened to me so often...

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Cheers Pete - my own stupidity to blame :rolling:

Found last night that his right arm was also detached - was being held in place by the sleeve so it had looked ok

Pulled it out and trimmed off the sheared stump of the sword

Haven’t been able to find the sword - no doubt it will turn up eventually but it doesn’t matter now as I have whittled a replacement based on the dimensions of the scabbard

8B566E57-846D-4B65-A8D5-ABC78BFFA7E8.jpeg
Once primed and arm stuck back on no one will be any the wiser

The blade was too thin the pin so I am relying on the CA - there is a good chance it will get knocked off again before completion :smiling3:

May get some paint on at the weekend.....

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
I like the additional details, should look great painted.

Peter

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Wouldn't be you without a disaster or two but you always recover. New sword looks good - well whittled.
Jim

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Simon, Glad to hear you haven't given up on RPG Julie and her waskaly wabbit. This is looking good so far and you are handling the set backs well. Looking forward to further developments. Cheers, Rick H.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
You could never be accused of doing the same old thing Mr T. An interesting change from the norm. Nice save on the sword.