Simples! Finished

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
After all the fuss and palaver with my Pegasus build, I thought I'd have a go at something a bit simpler while I'm waiting for glue and paint to dry

A nice, easy base for some figures. I've got some nearly finished from a much larger planned dio from last year which never happened. I'm planning to get them finished tonight and set up on here tomorrow.

The base. 6mm MDF with a layer of 10mm foam (this will allow me to pin the figures to the base. If you don't need to do that, put the fur straight on to the MDF) covered with faux fur:

Unusual tools for a modeller (the 'Mr Teasy Weasy' of the forum!):

Lie the scissors flat against the faux fur and make randon cuts in different directions. You get a nice variety of different heights for your grass. Shaved away the fur from the corner:

Use some ordinary household emulsion and rub it all over the grass with your fingers (lovely and messy). Don't use huge amounts and try to spread it nice and thin. The idea is to dull down the shiny green of the faux fur. Mix up some of the same paint in some filler or similar (I used PVA as I only got a tiny area to cover) to create a field and a path around the outside where the fur was shaved. Leave it to set for a few minutes then 'cut' grooves to represent crude ploughing using the edge of your spatula. Couple of oddments from my dio spares box and voila! Build time less than one hour (not allowing drying time for the glue and paint)

The Evil Baron/Dark Lord (NO - NOT the mexican bandit!) has sent his soldiers to raid the village. Many of the villagers have served as mercenary soldiers and have 'appropriated' weapons etc. so they are not totally defenceless. But many are old and they are outnumbered - more soldiers are coming:

IMGP3873.JPGIMGP3874.JPGIMGP3875.JPG

Are they doomed?

NO! Look!

In the distance - the King's Royal Guard ride to the rescue! NO! There are NOT seven of them! There are many more - these are just the first to arrive:

IMGP3876.JPGIMGP3877.JPGIMGP3878.JPGIMGP3879.JPG

And lo! The village is saved!

Last edited:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Made some changes you might want to have a look at.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks Tim. Nothing special, just a 'quickie' while I'm pondering my next move on my Pegasus build.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great fun to do these fill in builds Dave.:thumb2:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
VERY nice little dio Dave an lot of nice colours an when is this bloomin rocket gonna launch ? lol
chris

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
VERY nice little dio Dave an lot of nice colours an when is this bloomin rocket gonna launch ? lol
chris

Thanks guys.

The Pegasus launch sequence has been put on hold while a couple of technical glitches are being sorted Chris. Hopefully the countdown will re-start this evening!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks guys.

The Pegasus launch sequence has been put on hold while a couple of technical glitches are being sorted Chris. Hopefully the countdown will re-start this evening!
Well how long is the countdown weeks' months = lol

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I like it Dave. Great bit of relaxing fun.

...but beware, over the hill come the Zulus - Fousands of 'em!