"Sink The Bismarck!"

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thus spoke Winston Churchill after the Bismarck had destroyed H.M.S. Hood.

I'm going to try and build the British Battleship King George V and the German Bismarck at the time of their encounter in May 1941.

The K.G.5. will be closing on Bismarck and the German Battleship sinking. - That's the plan anyway...

To start things off. I'll build the K.G.5.

P1320539.JPG

Interestingly, apart from the foredeck section, the main deck is moulded into the hull. The boot topping is a separate moulding and is in black plastic. All very convenient.
P1320480.JPG

I don't like the add-on wooden decks. Some are usually way out of scale. To my eyes, the deck boards can be too wide as is the caulking and 'printed' on plywood grain, which sometimes can be clearly seen from above.
Having typed the above, at the end of the day, it's down to the modeller to use them or not. Folks will have different opinions. That's fine and how it should be.

I've made a start on the main deck and glued the foredeck in place.
I stick with the plastic decks and try to paint it to look like well scrubbed and sun bleached teak.
P1320548.JPG

So we are off and running....

Cheers.
Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ill be watching matey , always a good show . Btw, what the hells a boot topping ?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice to have you chaps aboard.
A badly damaged and sinking ship is all new territory for me, so it will be interesting. I could well go down with her, but at least I will have tried.

Tony. The boot topping is the dark strip of paint / anti fouling around the hull of a waterborne craft. Starting at the waterline and reaching upwards for a few feet or inches, depending on the size of vessel. It is also the demarcation line between the draught of the ship when empty and when fully loaded.

Cheers all.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps, it's great to have such a brill' crew aboard. I hope I don't let you good folks down. Particularly as I've never attempted to model a ship actually sinking. I did a U. Boat on here, but that was just sticking up like a finger!

Back to K.G.V.
Here's a close up of the deck. I brushed on some Vallejo Air 'Ash Grey', as this was the nearest colour I have to a bleached and scubbed to death teak deck. Two coats to give a subtle contrast to the boards. For some reason the deck colour is lighter than the photo.
The rather large holes are for A.A. guns.
P1320639.JPG

I've also constructed the upper bridge. I painted all the bits, decks etc. on the sprues, then glued them all on top of each other....
P1320535.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

P.S. On taking a look at the bridge picture, I've spotted there is a major part I've somehow missed and is still on the sprue!:upside:
Luckily it should fit without destroying the work so far.

Last edited:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Dang Ron, give an old guy a chance to ketchup here willya. You're off and running again and I haven't even caught up with your T-62 build fully. This looks to be an interesting new project, so I'll try and keep up now......BTW,

The boot topping is the dark strip of paint / anti fouling around the hull of a waterborne craft. Starting at the waterline and reaching upwards for a few feet or inches, depending on the size of vessel. It is also the demarcation line between the draught of the ship when empty and when fully loaded.

I love it when you talk dirty to us.....................

Prost
Allen

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Allen, Ian and 358. Thank you for your positive comments and welcome aboard.

All the main parts of the superstructure are painted and ready for any 'Bits'

P1320537.JPG

The stern gunnery platform.
P1320624.JPG

...with guns, fire directors and a chimbly.
P1320626.JPG

The bridge structure complete and fixed, ready for the A.A. etc.
P1320627.JPG

P1320633.JPG
Can someone blow off all the dust please.

Cheers.
Ron

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice to have you chaps aboard.
A badly damaged and sinking ship is all new territory for me, so it will be interesting. I could well go down with her, but at least I will have tried.

Tony. The boot topping is the dark strip of paint / anti fouling around the hull of a waterborne craft. Starting at the waterline and reaching upwards for a few feet or inches, depending on the size of vessel. It is also the demarcation line between the draught of the ship when empty and when fully loaded.

Cheers all.
Ron
570 for a retired wood butcher you knowledge of the boaty things is impressive.
Can I join the class please?
Yours 453.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
453. For my sins, I've had 3 'vessels'. I even replaced the teak deck and caulked it on one of them. I don't think my knees ever recovered!

My class? Certainly, but leave that flying b*****d at home!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
453. For my sins, I've had 3 'vessels'. I even replaced the teak deck and caulked it on one of them. I don't think my knees ever recovered!

My class? Certainly, but leave that flying b*****d at home!

He send his regards to you !